CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Tony Marino
6 posters

Plastic Surgery For Your Dog!

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Plastic Surgery For Your Dog! Empty Plastic Surgery For Your Dog!

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Ridiculous and absurd as it is, its available, now Poochy can have a breast augmentation, jowl lift, tummy tuck and whatever the hell else you want to do to it:

What's the deal with pet plastic surgery? Read on to find out more about this trend.

The fact that pets often look like their owners isn't cause for concern, unless of course that pet owner happens to be Joan Rivers. Nose jobs, face-lifts, silicone implants and tummy tucks. Yes, I'm talking about pet plastic surgery.

While some procedures are deemed medical necessities, others are simply at the animals' expense.

"General anesthesia is certainly not without risk, though the chances of complication in young and healthy animals is low, says Janet R. Kovak, DVM, ACVS of New York City's Animal Medical Center "We recommend a chest x-ray and blood work screening for animals over the age of six. Our first priority is to make sure we're not making any decision that puts the animal at risk."

Pet Plastic Surgery--What Procedures Are Being Done?

At upwards of thousands of dollars a pop, Brachycephalic dogs (Pugs, English and French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers) with the short nose and face are the most common breeds needing rhinoplasty.

Chin lifts might be performed to relieve excessive drooling in large breeds like Newfoundlands, Bloodhounds and Mastiffs.

Other breeds such as the Bulldog are prone to skin folds around the eyes, nose, cheeks and vulva, which can cause recurrent bacterial infections.

In these cases, veterinary surgeons advocate a 'nip and tuck' in those areas.

Is Pet Plastic Surgery Necessary?

Whether or not pet plastic surgery is necessary is determined on a case-by-case basis.

"But," Kovak says, "as members of particular breeds, they're predisposed to it. There's an ongoing debate here, but as long as breeders continue to breed them, they'll remain susceptible."

The Debate Over Pet Plastic Surgery

The debate? The Humane Society's complete policy on the topic of pet plastic surgery can be found on their Website (www.hsus.org).

In short, they oppose unnecessary surgical procedures when done for cosmetic purposes or to disguise natural imperfections of any animal. The American Kennel Club does not allow dogs with physical alterations to be entered in competitions besides cropping of ears and tails to meet breed standards. In fact, judges are trained to inspect all of a dog's parts to ensure that there are no cosmetic additions or corrections.

Which leads us to an invention called Neuticles, silicone testicular implants that come in different shapes and sizes, mainly used for neutered pets. Despite its FDA approval, lukewarm popularity and subsequent silicone inventions by founder Gregg Miller, Neuticles are not encouraged.

"Anytime you put a foreign material implant into an animal you run the risk of an adverse reaction," urges Kovak.

Is Pet Plastic Surgery Just a Dog Thing, Or Are These Surgeries Also Performed on Cats?

There are fewer plastic surgeries of any kind performed on cats.

With its narrow nose, the Persian is the most likely candidate for rhinoplasty. When considering felines, however, we get into the hot-button issue of declawing. My mantra? Get a cat or get a couch.

Unfortunately, many people choose to do both, and it is often at the cat's expense.

Commonly believed to be a simple surgery, declawing can be likened to cutting off each human finger at the last knuckle. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has not banned the practice, but it certainly discourages it.

"However," explains Kovak, "for those who are immunosurpressed -- someone with HIV or the elderly -- there is medical justification for the procedure. In those instances, the feline is given an abundant amount of pain medication."

A consultation with a surgeon should be made to discuss the risks and rewards before any surgery, plastic or otherwise.

"Fortunately," says Kovak, "pet owners treat their pets like family, and are usually easily discouraged from putting their pet in harm's way."

http://www.petside.com/article/pet-plastic-surgery

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Plastic Surgery For Your Dog! Empty Re: Plastic Surgery For Your Dog!

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

face palm And children go to bed hungry in this country.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:44 pm

EXACTLY what i was thinking Al!!! SMH
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Alan Smithee wrote: face palm And children go to bed hungry in this country.

Apparently not veterinarian children. blank stare @ you
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Shale wrote:

Apparently not veterinarian children. blank stare @ you

Do you mean children of veterinarians or children who are veterinarians? Or both? big grin
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Do you mean children of veterinarians or children who are veterinarians? Or both? big grin
    I didn't see you at the Smartass Anonymous meeting last week. Did you slip or something?

(BTW, I saw the ambiguity in that sentence when I wrote it and thot to myself, will Alan point it out?)
    d-oh!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Wow.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Shale wrote:
    I didn't see you at the Smartass Anonymous meeting last week. Did you slip or something?
    I don't need those meetings. I can quit any time I want.

(BTW, I saw the ambiguity in that sentence when I wrote it and thot to myself, will Alan point it out?) d-oh! Who else is that big a pain in the ass? Shrugs (Oh well…)
    :

Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 pm

blank stare @ you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:54 pm