CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
CeCe
Nystyle709
Marc™
7 posters

Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love.

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love. Empty Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love.

Post by Marc™ Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 am

Long time ago the soap General Hospital did that "Luke & Laura" storyline where he raped her....then later the 2 fall in love and got married, while the show called it "seduction". Do you think this kind of story is offensive and in poor taste....or is the entertainment value more important than the "message"?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love. Empty Re: Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love.

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 am

I think it's kinda sick, but whatever. Entertainment is just that....I'm not suprised at all by it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love. Empty Re: Storylines of Rapists and Their Victims Falling In Love.

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 am

It pissed me off when they "rewrote" that whole scene & decided since the two had chemistry & potential as the soap "super couple" they had to make is a seduction rather than a rape. Total loss of credibility as a show.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 am

can't remember if it was richard greico or john stamos, but in a lifetime movie... the rapist knowingly marries a woman that got pregnant when he raped her. she had no idea that he was her rapist. she felt special and loved when she thought he was accepting of her emotional baggage and child of rape. Years and years later, her child produced by the rape needed a kidney. They did a drive to raise money and all friends, family, and the public to get tested. Finally the rapist/father got tested and the doctors informed the wife that her husband was a DNA match for the boy. He did give the kid the kidney, but she left him. Statute of limitations had long since past so he couldnt be charged. was actually a good movie.

i dont find the story any less tasteful than any other story.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

I think the plot W2L described is fine but I can certainly see how a story line that has a woman falling in love with the man she knows to be her rapist could be offensive to many. Especially rape victims.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm

This makes me think of the "Tarty" story on OLTL.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 am

IMO it's in poor taste and mocks something very serious. I'm not a GH watcher but everyone knows about that Luke & Laura story and I've never been fascinated by it to wanna learn more. From my message board readings I do know that as the years went by, viewers started remembering and reevaluating the origins of L&L and calling GH out for it so much that the show finally re-addressed the issue and didn't try to sugarcoat what happened like they did before. It went back to being that Luke raped Laura and them owning that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:26 am