CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Hyacinth Girl
Nystyle709
AtownPeep
Wadsworth
CeCe
Jason B.
Shale
Alan Smithee
Rainmaker
13 posters

What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe?

Rainmaker
    Rainmaker
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 0

What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe? Empty What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe?

Post by Rainmaker Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 am

What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe? Article-2169739-116FB1BB000005DC-888_468x575

Curious as to what everyone thinks of the iconic Marilyn Monroe? I once had a buddy who was obsessed with her and her likeness. He had pictures of her everywhere, seeing her as a goddess of sorts. My opinion is that she's very fascinating and part of that is because she's very hard to figure out.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe? Empty Re: What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:35 am

I was 6 when she died and I expect I'm among the minority of members who have seen most of the movies she made as a "star". She was an emotionally damaged neurotic who never got the chance to do any acting in more than a couple of movies. I think she's only an icon because of the circumstances of her death. RIP.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe? Empty Re: What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe?

Post by Shale Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 am

Norma Jean was first and foremost an image. I was exposed to her first hit, the famous 1949 pic that a lot of men would see when it made Playboy Magazine in 1953 was also a calendar in my dad's workshop. big grin
    What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe? Tumblr_lo960uBhpb1qgquvwo1_r1_500

I grew up with this icon to beauty but apparently normal ppl don't do well with being thrust into the spotlight by handlers. So, just like so many ghetto kids who become iconic sports figures never really adjust, so do many models and actresses become tragic figures. (Or, are most ppl tragic figures and we only see the ones in the spotlight?) blank stare @ you
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 am

Don't really have an opinion of her. From what little I know of her work, it seems like death was what made her an icon. She wasn't competing with Liz Taylor in the acting and "sought after" game.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 am

Don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I agree with Jason & wonder if things would be different had she not died. Would anyone really care today? Sometimes I think her death made her as famous as anything she ever did on screen.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 am

Shale, I think she was exposed more than you. Jason, I almost added "she was no Elizabeth Taylor when it came to acting."
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 am

Just a earlier better looking version of Monica Lewinsky.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:20 am

Shrugs (Oh well…) Long before my time. Seems like she was all image and nothing else. I definitely think Elizabeth Taylor was in every way superior, looks included.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am

I agree that her death overshadowed anything she did in movies, but she really wasn't that bad of an actress. She was pretty, but I think Jayne Mansfield was prettier and a lot sexier than Marilyn.

What's your opinion of Marilyn Monroe? Jayne_mansfield_playboy
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I think Marilyn did nothing but screw her way to the top, and I also think that Jackie Kennedy's father had her "removed" because she was JFK's little side-dish, and that pissed him off.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) Don't have an opinion of her.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 pm

She was very limited as an actress, but she had immense star quality and a screen presence that made audiences take notice to her. Having a strong presence and the ability to capture a crowd is just as important as technical range. Had she lived longer, and continued to work, I can believe that she would have become a better actress with time and nailed that "one" serious role that won the critics over.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:25 am

i know non of y'all will believe this... but when i was younger, and with the platinum hair (and a lot thinner) i looked quite a bit like her. The filipinos at work could not pronounce "Kirsten" so they picked "Marilyn" as my name. I even came to work dressed as her for halloween.

I think she was a very sad person... that she kept trying to find love, but never really felt worthy of it for whatever reason. She screwed everybody.. sure.. but if she was easily manipulated, then was she shrewdly screwing her way to the top or was she used and abuse? I'm not really sure that i can tell from her pictures if she was good or not. Some like it hot was hysterical... but she seemed typecast in the 'cute but stupid' roles. so was she truly acting, or was she really like that in person? idk.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 am

She was gorgeous and seemed very sweet and down to earth. From what I've heard, when she was alive the critics used to be always awful to her, but as soon as she died she became the American icon that she is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:17 am