CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Jason B.
Alan Smithee
Impact
Supernova
Shale
Tony Marino
Chris
11 posters

Kids smoking marijuana vs. kids drinking alcohol

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Kids smoking marijuana vs. kids drinking alcohol

Post by Chris Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Some people think that it's fine for kids to drink in the company of a parent or guardian. How do feel about kids smoking weed under the same kind of supervision? Some argue that marijuana is less hazardous than alcohol. Shrugs (Oh well…)

What do you think?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Question Re: Kids smoking marijuana vs. kids drinking alcohol

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't know. I don't think I would be comfortable with a kid of mine smoking marijuana or drinking in my presence.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:46 pm

While smoke is not good for you, overall MJ is less hazardous than alcohol. (This is not opinion it is fact. Take the number of deaths attributed to alcohol and compare to the lack of deaths attributed to grass.)

If young adults over 16 in the privacy of home and family share in the family alcohol, then you would expect the stoner family to share the weed also.
    Blue Cool
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Shale wrote:While smoke is not good for you, overall MJ is less hazardous than alcohol. (This is not opinion it is fact. Take the number of deaths attributed to alcohol and compare to the lack of deaths attributed to grass.)

If young adults over 16 in the privacy of home and family share in the family alcohol, then you would expect the stoner family to share the weed also.
    Blue Cool

Assuming the parents smoke it in the first place. I'm not having ANYTHING in my house that makes it smell like a skunk's spraying it.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I wouldn't let my kids do either, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would be alcohol. A small celebratory glass of wine with the family isn't going to do any damage or even create a buzz. It's mainly for the sake of having them feel part of the celebration. By comparison, there is no redeeming factor in letting a kid toke. No one does it to window dress.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:31 pm

I didn't let my daughter do either when she was home. Am I naive enough to think she didn't at least try pot or booze when she was out of my sight? Of course not. That being said, I did share a doobie with my father when I was in college.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Impact wrote:I wouldn't let my kids do either, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would be alcohol. A small celebratory glass of wine with the family isn't going to do any damage or even create a buzz. It's mainly for the sake of having them feel part of the celebration. By comparison, there is no redeeming factor in letting a kid toke. No one does it to window dress.

clapping Good answer. And in any case, letting your kid drink at home is perfectly legal, some states might be working on repealing laws against marijuana but some places are still dead set against it legally, but in all 50 states a parent can give their kid alcohol in their own home.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Impact wrote:By comparison, there is no redeeming factor in letting a kid toke.

co-signs
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 pm

i get the philosophy that if they experiment with it in a safe environment, the allure could wear off. However, some kids will take it the other way... they will think that they handled themselves well with their parents there, so they can handle it outside of the home. they might get off trying to impress their friends with their experience or knowlege so they may need to feel the need to show off.

i never did it... and my mother made it quite clear it was not permissible. My sister was a junkie. My best friend allowed her kids to drink/smoke.. and now only one smokes pot... and only one drinks about once a month with his friends. so it is really an individual kid thing.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Even if marijuana is technically less addictive or destructive than alcohol, there's something about it that makes it seems more "wrong" for a parent to let their child indulge in while supervised. I would let my daughter have a small glass of light wine when she's older and if it were a rare special occasion, but I can't think of any occasion where I think it would be ok for her to take a hit off of a pot ciggy.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 am

Naw, underage and living under my roof, I'm not going to let you. You better do what I did when I was young, and hide it best you can.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:05 am

Cheaps wrote:Naw, underage and living under my roof, I'm not going to let you. You better do what I did when I was young, and hide it best you can.

Basically.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 pm