CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
RiteDiva
Nystyle709
Nhaiyel
Forgiveness Man
Dan70
TSJFan4Ever
CatEyes10736
11 posters

Age of Consent Laws

CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Age of Consent Laws Empty Age of Consent Laws

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:08 am

In the US, the ages that an underage teenager can consent to sex with someone over the age of 18 very from state to state, but the average age is 17. In England it's 16, in Canada it's 14 (which IMO is too young.) What's your take on this, should it be lowered or stay where it is?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Age of Consent Laws Empty Re: Age of Consent Laws

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 am

I think it should be raised in Canada. I remember how controversial it was when the age was lowered from 16 to 14 - can't remember why, but people were not happy. The problem is, it's like drinking and can't really be controlled. what raising the age (I'm speaking as a Canadian here) would do, was protect children from the sex trade and from getting lured into unsafe situations. I think it's ridiculous that the age was lowered in Canada and it should be raised back up to at least 16.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 am

The law is one of the few things keeping sex-hungry adults tempered away from minors. The # of 40 y/o men messing around with 12 y/o's would skyrocket if the law permitted it. 17 is a good age. By then kids are mature enough to decide to have a relationship with someone older.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:24 am

I say make it 18. When you're a legal adult, then you can decide.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I think it should be raised in Canada. I remember how controversial it was when the age was lowered from 16 to 14 - can't remember why, but people were not happy. The problem is, it's like drinking and can't really be controlled. what raising the age (I'm speaking as a Canadian here) would do, was protect children from the sex trade and from getting lured into unsafe situations. I think it's ridiculous that the age was lowered in Canada and it should be raised back up to at least 16.

What was Canada's reasoning for lowering the age of consent to fourteen, do you know? That's just so very young.
    I think seventeen is a good age to keep it.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Nope - I said in my post that I couldn't remember the reasoning. It is very young and a lot of people were upset by it.

Last edited by TSJFan4Ever on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:44 pm

It should stay the way it is.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:55 am

There is absolutely no reasonable justification in my mind as to why a 14 year old should be considered mature enough to consent to sex with an adult. Some 14 year olds are JUST entering puberty, yet Canadian law feels they are sound enough to have a relationship with a forty year old lover? GTFOHWT.

As far as the US is concerned, IA with 17 being the standard. By that time the average kid is either past the midway point of their adolescence, has taken enough info. about safer sex practices, is becoming more sophisticated in their rationale and is nearly grown. That kind of liberty can be extended to a youth that age...
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 am

Well thank God we're not in Japan, THEIR age of consent is 13...and these people are the ones who live to be 120 so what's the reasoning there?

Anyway, the thing I never got was how is it if a teenager kills somebody, they can be tried as an adult, but if they have sex and then falsely accuse somebody of rape, oh they're a minor, they're too young to understand the consequences? That makes no sense to me.

As for the original post, I say keep it higher...people for some sick reason want it lowered to 14 or 13 or whatever age girls get pubic hair at (you can't convince me people like that aren't sick), I say keep it closer to the adult age...you can't even see an R rated movie at 14 without an adult present, why should you be considered mature and responsible enough to handle the consequences of sex which could become a matter of life or death?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:06 am

^^^^That latter point is actually quite a valid one. lol
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:17 am

bump

In Michigan, it's seventeen. I remember being in high school, and my social studies teacher talking about how if an adult has sex with a seventeen year old, they're pretty safe; if an adult has sex with a sixteen year old, that's a maybe/maybe not; and if they have sex with a fifteen year old, under the prison they go.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:31 am

The age of consent should be universally applied, instead of each state making arbitrary decisions. The normal age of sexual maturity is 15 1/2, so 16 would be a good legal age, just as 34 of the United States now have. (Six other states have it at 17 and Florida is one of the 11 backward states that have the high age of 18)

And, it is not just the dirty old men (or women) these laws target. There are countless tragedies where some older teen makes it with a younger teen and then ends up in prison for years and on the Sexual Offender list FOR LIFE! (Check how Genarlow Wilson got screwed over by Georgia). These puritan blue laws need to be gotten rid of or at least changed with a "Romeo & Juliet" clause for young "offenders."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 pm

I agree that they should be universal amoung the 50 states. As to the actual age, I don't think anything younger than 16.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:30 pm