CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Tony Marino
Supernova
8 posters

Thousands sterilized in NC without consent

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Thousands sterilized in NC without consent Empty Thousands sterilized in NC without consent

Post by Supernova Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Thousands sterilized in NC without consent Empty Re: Thousands sterilized in NC without consent

Post by Tony Marino Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Geez.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Thousands sterilized in NC without consent Empty Re: Thousands sterilized in NC without consent

Post by CeCe Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Supernova wrote:http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/07/8640744-victims-speak-out-about-north-carolina-sterilization-program-which-targeted-women-young-girls-and-blacks

If any of these quacks responsible are still alive, I say return the favor just for the hell of it.

Eugenics. The south's dirty little secret. The truth is they targeted the poor of all races as well. They continued to encourage voluntary sterilization YEARS after the program ended.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Not at all shocked.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 pm

In my field working with mentally retarded, there are many older women who had hysterectomies in their teens (not the normal demographic) This was in the '50s and '60s, before a push on many fronts for civil rights.

They thot it was for the best. Either another mentally retarded client (or staff member in the instituions of the day) could impregnate these at risk girls and that would compound the problem of a mentally retarded person being a parent. So, you have to judge the actions in the spirit of the times (zeitgeist).
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Old news. I knew about this years ago.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Old news. I knew about this years ago.
    It's been around a long time. I was surprised to see it front page news & the governor acting all shocked & shit.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 pm

“I was raped by a perpetrator [who was never charged] and then I was raped by the state of North Carolina."

That about says it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 am

Opa Shale wrote:In my field working with mentally retarded, there are many older women who had hysterectomies in their teens (not the normal demographic) This was in the '50s and '60s, before a push on many fronts for civil rights.

They thot it was for the best. Either another mentally retarded client (or staff member in the instituions of the day) could impregnate these at risk girls and that would compound the problem of a mentally retarded person being a parent. So, you have to judge the actions in the spirit of the times (zeitgeist).

Eugenics for the mentally retarded was active in Oregon until sometime around 1980. And, y'know, I truly have to say that I cannot criticize this area of eugenics, because I cannot imagine one thing good in someone with Down's Syndrome getting pregnant. I think it would be a much more cruel fate for them to go through the horrors of child birth, not fully understanding what's happening to their bodies. Of course, we do not typically see women with Down's Syndrome pregnant or with children ~ but I do know (and I'm sure you do, too) that once these people are introduced to sex they become very active. My brother-in-law used to work with many of them and he saw a lot of things that surprised him.

I would rather a young mentally retarded woman unable to care for a child be sterilized than have to go through abortion.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:32 am

A lot of this sterilization was ended about the time birth control became effective. I know at the place where I work all the female residents who are fertile are on some birth control. (Our intermediate care facility has nurses who administer the meds).

And developmentally disabled ppl have a right to have sex like anyone else. We have had a few young sexually active ppl and have a social room for them to have privacy. Also they get sex ed and instructions on condom use. There are even married developmentally disabled couples living in the community.

A lot of attitude has changed in the profession in just the 35 years I've been involved in it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:54 am