CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Tony Marino
Marc™
Supernova
Nystyle709
femme fatale
Jaws
Chris
11 posters

Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting? Empty Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting?

Post by Chris Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 am

When I was in middle and high school, kids fought all the time and were punished with either detention or suspension (if at all.) My daughters mother, however, went to Cass Technical High School here in Detroit, which had a zero-tolerance policy for any kind of fighting. Any physical altercation, no matter how small, resulted in immediately expulsion, and was put on their record -- which sullied the students prospects in finding another more elite school to attend. I, seriously, want my daughter to attend this school next year.

But anyway, how do you feel about this? Should all schools have a zero-tolerance for fighting; where just a shove can send you packing, or do you think this would leave too many kids ousted?
    Jaws
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 7

Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting? Empty Re: Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting?

Post by Jaws Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:48 am

I'm against a zero-tolerance policy in almost anything, so yeah. I feel like more should be done as punishment, but immediate expulsion is WAY to much.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting? Empty Re: Should schools have a zero-tolerance policy for fighting?

Post by femme fatale Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:47 am

I like the idea. Because of the zero tolerance policy, the kids are probably mindful of what boundaries not to cross and keeps them in line. If more schools enacted this, we wouldn't have such shitty school envirnoments.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:05 am

I like the idea, but I think that a zero tolerance policy in that instance is a little extreme. Immediate expulsion? If you fight in school more than once or twice, okay. If someone assaults you or tries to assault you, you have the right to defend yourself. It's an automatic defense mechanism. If someone pushes me, I'm going to push them right back.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 am

Kids already aren't allowed to fight because then they get arrested for assault and battery, but NONE of this has any effect one the ones who start beating up other kids, only the ones who fight back are punished. For that reason I'm against it.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 am

Chris wrote:When I was in middle and high school, kids fought all the time and were punished with either detention or suspension (if at all.) My daughters mother, however, went to Cass Technical High School here in Detroit, which had a zero-tolerance policy for any kind of fighting. Any physical altercation, no matter how small, resulted in immediately expulsion, and was put on their record -- which sullied the students prospects in finding another more elite school to attend. I, seriously, want my daughter to attend this school next year.

But anyway, how do you feel about this? Should all schools have a zero-tolerance for fighting; where just a shove can send you packing, or do you think this would leave too many kids ousted?

Would leave too many kids ousted. In this case, I'm more for a "3-strike policy". Get into 3 fights and then you're gone....but too many misunderstandings and general issues amongst kids growing up occur for this to have kind of a decent outcome. An A+/honor roll student @ Cass gets into one fight, gets kicked out and suddenly he has to go to bad ass Cooley or Mackenzie....and as a result the better colleges look him over because those schools are shit holes with low test scores that inadvertently renders his GPA less than.

Nah, not fair....
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:12 am

I think a warning for the first time is sufficient. If the same kids get into another fight then I am for suspension just to teach them a lesson. There is not enough discipline as it is these days so I am for it the second time around.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:59 pm

What happens when the kids are off school property? If they wanted to fight, they'll come up with a way. I don't agree that so much as a shove should get a kid kicked out, but I don't mind the idea of harsher policies regarding it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 pm

I think that a suspension for first timers may be ok, but not immediate expulsion. That seems harsh.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 pm

There are exceptions but I think zero tolerance policies too often remove the possibility for the person in authority to exercise any "common sense". Like mandatory sentencing. Too often a judge's hands are tide to not impose anything but an inappropriately harsh sentence.
    UMo
    UMo
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by UMo Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I think that schools SHOULD have a zero-tolerance stance on fighting. If you're at work and come to blows with you co-worker, you'll most likely be fired. If you're at a store and come to blows with another customer, the police are gonna be called and chances are you're going for a ride to the station. I don't see why schools should tolerate that sort of nonsense. So absolutely yes, I support the idea of one fight being enough to get you kicked out. Just let it be known repeatedly what the policy on that is, so that there is no confusion that violence of any kind won't be tolerated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 am