CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+16
Cheaps
CeCe
tmontyb
Nhaiyel
Jason B.
JM130ELM
GrayWolf
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
femme fatale
Nystyle709
Marc™
AtownPeep
Chris
RobbieFTW
SkwirtB
20 posters

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread

SkwirtB
    SkwirtB
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread Empty The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread

Post by SkwirtB Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 am

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread 105358-jennifer_lopez_617_409
    EXCLUSIVE: Jennifer Lopez And Sony Music Epic Records Part Ways; New Album "Love?" Won't Be Released; Is It Amicable?

via DEADLINE.com

Jennifer Lopez has spent most of her singing career at Sony Music Epic Records. The bland version of what happened, I’m told, is that the contract period had ended and that Lopez had fulfilled it with her last two singles, and that Lopez and Stringer decided together not to move forward with an album. Others insist the Sony label dropped her. There also is disagreement on how finished her upcoming album was before it was canceled. Internet reports say her 7th studio album, titled "Love?", was supposed to come out in April and featured production from Danja, Jim Jonsin, Darkchild, Chris n Teeb from Dropzone, and The Neptunes among others. A song from it titled "Fresh Out The Oven" surfaced online in October 2009 as a buzz single and reached #1 on the U.S. Hot Dance Club Songs chart. But the official lead single, "Louboutins", had its radio debut on November 23 following the song's premiere and performance at the 2009 American Music Awards and then peaked at #31 on the Hot Dance Club Songs chart.

Lopez insiders claim to me the album was "by no means done" and everyone was "only a few songs into it" and "unlike movie dates, street dates rarely hold in the music biz". But that album was real enough to delay the release of her upcoming CBS Film, The Back-Up Plan (see below). Others tell me the album isn't being released because "Louboutins" bombed, as did her performance at the American Music Awards, and Sony Music execs "aren't sure who her audience is anymore. Where once she had little girls, she's been supplanted by Beyonce, Gaga, and Rhianna. Lots of fighting going on between Benny Medina (who, of course, is spending their money like it's 10 years ago) and the label."

But when I began inquiring about this, her manager Benny Medina emailed this morning to confirm the split. "Jennifer had a wonderful relationship with the Sony Music group, and they have shared many successes together, but the time was right to make a change that best serves the direction her career as an actress and recording artist. She is grateful and appreciative to everyone Sony for all that they accomplished together."

The Lopez insiders claim the decision was "a mutual one" between the star and label’s current CEO Rob Stringer (younger brother to Sony parent company CEO Howard Stringer). They say the two had a meeting at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles during Grammy week, and, after a "heart-to-heart" conversation, the star and executive decided to end the long relationship. “It was all very amicable. They hugged at the end of the meeting,” claims one. Meanwhile, I understand that Sony will still be releasing her "Greatest Hits" album in the fall.

Supposedly, Lopez has not wasted any time getting signed elsewhere: it’s rumored she is already in talks with Island Def Jam’s bigwig L.A. Reid to come to his label. Granted, this is a tough time for music artists, especially those like Lopez who were once big in the biz and now are battling not only the changed economics and rampant piracy but also the moving target of today’s music fans. JLo insiders insist none of this is fazing Lopez, who took time off to have two kids with her recording star husband, Marc Anthony, and who is just now returning to her acting career with the release of the feature The Back Up Plan.

But CBS Films recently announced it's postponing the release of that romantic comedy to April 23rd, same weekend as Wall Street 2 and MacGruber. It had been scheduled for April 16th which then got too crowded. And before that January 22nd when it was to be the first CBS Film. Complicating The Back-Up Plan's release as well was that J-Lo/Sony album and exactly when she'd be available to do publicity for the film. Well, no one has to worry about that now.

Meanwhile, JLo is scheduled as both the musical guest and the host of Saturday Night Live next
    weekend. But now she has no record and no movie to promote. Hmm.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread Empty Re: The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 pm

I was looking forward (sorta) to seeing if she could have a comeback but more and more I'm thinking her time as a pop star is over and done. She should probably just focus on movies. She might have a few move lives in that field than she does in music.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread Empty Re: The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread

Post by Chris Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:35 pm

According to the latest reports, Lopez has already signed a new deal with another label (but hasn't said which) and that the album she's been working on will still be released this summer.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread Empty Jennifer Lopez' Behind The Music

Post by AtownPeep Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:52 am

I'm not a fan of hers at all, but I was mildly entertained by it. It talked mostly about her relationships and lovelife. They interviewed her mother, who seems a bit on the judgmental side...but JLo though has proven herself to be a flight, so I can understand why.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread Empty New Jennifer Lopez song "Good Hit"

Post by Marc™ Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:57 am

Snippet

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 pm

I dunno...maybe it will pop in the dance clubs but I wasn't feeling it. Why is she still making music anyway? Didn't her label drop her when she got busted sounding like a sick feline in heat with an audio of her true voice?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 am

She's trying too hard with that, and it still doesn't sound like anything that would play on the radio. I think she ought to concentrate on acting. She made her 'point,' she was able to garner substantial success in the world of music, but with that she should have always been aware of when to walk away. The milk expired on her recording career, the more she pushes that as her focus, the more she makes herself look tired.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread Empty Jennifer Lopez

Post by Chris Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:39 am

If Selena hadn't been killed, do you think we'd even know who JLo was?
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 am

Who is this Jennifer Lopez person you speak of? Wait a second, isn't she one of them wannabe Club MTV hoochies on that whatchacallit show In Living Color?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 am

Yes I do think we would have heard of Jennifer Lopez, even if Selena were still alive. JL is a good singer and a fine actress and I give her credit for all her accomplishments. I have enjoyed a number of her movies and have liked a lot of her songs.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:05 am

I think we would have. Selena was talented, but she would most likely have not played to the media the way Lopez did when she was with Affleck. Lopez defined beauty, glamour and celebrity when she was at the height of her popularity.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:59 pm

If Selena hadn't died, she wouldn't have got the chance to play her. That was her breakout role. From there who knows where her career would have gone. Probably would have kept on playing supporting roles in modest ensemble casts and wouldn't have become as much of a "property". Doubt she would have branched into music, since we have the Selena film to blame for JLo, the "singer".
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Great song:

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Chris wrote:If Selena hadn't been killed, do you think we'd even know who JLo was?

Prob. Yeah, Selena was a her breakout role, but she would've found other ways to get attention.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:37 pm

femme fatale wrote:Who is this Jennifer Lopez person you speak of? Wait a second, isn't she one of them wannabe Club MTV hoochies on that whatchacallit show In Living Color?

Whatchacallit? Those Flyy Girls and In Living Color were both HOT.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:38 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Yes I do think we would have heard of Jennifer Lopez, even if Selena were still alive. JL is a good singer and a fine actress and I give her credit for all her accomplishments. I have enjoyed a number of her movies and have liked a lot of her songs.

I love ya Tony...................................but you can't be serious.
    laughing
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

I love ya Tony...................................but you can't be serious.
    laughing

Well............. Yeah!!!!!! LOL
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 am

Tony, I will second you. I think she is a good singer too. I really adored a lot of her movie roles as well.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 am

RedBedroom wrote:Tony, I will second you. I think she is a good singer too. I really adored a lot of her movie roles as well.

I can think of a lot worse then her. Her movies are kind of girly but I still liked them. Anaconda was the only one I can think of that wasn't a chick flick and it was good!!
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:24 pm

I really like some of her music, but at least 60% of it stinks. I think she's a better actress than singer.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

I can think of a lot worse then her. Her movies are kind of girly but I still liked them. Anaconda was the only one I can think of that wasn't a chick flick and it was good!!

I can too, but J-Lo is the epitome of a 'studio' singer. Sure, she's had a few songs that I've enjoyed ("Waiting For Tonight" definitely being one of the better ones) but I would NOT pay to see her live......even though the one thing I would definitely give her credit for is her dancing skills. She's an amazing dancer. She's not that bad of an actress, I can think of A LOT worse than her too, but even that is just mediocre. J-Lo is just an average entertainer to me. Eh, not bad but not that great either.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I can too, but J-Lo is the epitome of a 'studio' singer. Sure, she's had a few songs that I've enjoyed ("Waiting For Tonight" definitely being one of the better ones) but I would NOT pay to see her live......even though the one thing I would definitely give her credit for is her dancing skills. She's an amazing dancer. She's not that bad of an actress, I can think of A LOT worse than her too, but even that is just mediocre. J-Lo is just an average entertainer to me. Eh, not bad but not that great either.

And here I thought you were going to treat me to her upcoming concert Smile
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Even if she is only marginally talented in certain areas, Jennifer Lopez has the luxury of having a Hispanic demographic largely to herself (and she could play multiple angles with that...she could be the peppy dance-y Spearish pop star for White America, the "representing" Latina for Latins and the "cool big booty homegirl from the Bronx" for Black America), a "superstar machine" touting her name and in the meantime was able to use high profile lovers like Diddy and Aflect to keep her talked about in the tabloids. I don't necessarily care for her work, but respect her marketing prowess.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

And here I thought you were going to treat me to her upcoming concert Smile

I'll treat you to something else. Wink
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

I'll treat you to something else. Wink

The 'Jennifer Lopez' Discussion Thread 712748

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:02 am