CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
AtownPeep
Alan Smithee
GrayWolf
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
Chris
Supernova
Tony Marino
12 posters

Traffic Light Cameras

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Traffic Light Cameras Empty Traffic Light Cameras

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 am

Do you have them in your area, the cameras that take a pic of your car if you go through a red light? We have them here and they are turning up on more and more street lights every day. This is another legalized extortion to get money from people, its 50 bucks a clip if you go through a red light. I know you should not go through a red light but sometimes the light is yellow when you are passing under it and it turns red when you pass it and the camera goes "click".
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Traffic Light Cameras Empty Re: Traffic Light Cameras

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 am

We have cameras on the traffic lights. I don't know that's what it is, probably though since there wouldn't be much point in filming drivers in general.

I have that same feeling about the click it or ticket law. That you can be fined for not having your seatbelt on. That is so stupid. It shouldn't be a law. If a person doesn't want to and wants to take that risk, that should be their right, it's THEIR car, and since THEY'RE the one not wearing one, aren't THEY the ones more likely to go through a windshield than if they collide with an SUV full of people all buckled up? The reason more likely, as was pointed out in our newspaper, is the police do it because that way they get money from the tickets the drivers have to pay. So more likely, that is NOT for the other driver's safety, but their way of fixing their budget problems.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 am

We have them here. In fact, there's a website set up to let people know which local signals have them in their area.

http://www.photoenforced.com/
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Supernova wrote:We have cameras on the traffic lights. I don't know that's what it is, probably though since there wouldn't be much point in filming drivers in general.

I have that same feeling about the click it or ticket law. That you can be fined for not having your seatbelt on. That is so stupid. It shouldn't be a law. If a person doesn't want to and wants to take that risk, that should be their right, it's THEIR car, and since THEY'RE the one not wearing one, aren't THEY the ones more likely to go through a windshield than if they collide with an SUV full of people all buckled up? The reason more likely, as was pointed out in our newspaper, is the police do it because that way they get money from the tickets the drivers have to pay. So more likely, that is NOT for the other driver's safety, but their way of fixing their budget problems.

I agree, its just another extortion to get money out of people to make their monthly quotas. If you want to take the risk of killing yourself, then by all means, don't buckle up its your choice.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:42 pm

And some people have NEVER used seatbelts and they also in their whole driving career have NEVER been in an accident.

And I personally feel a lot of the same way about child car seats, I never had one, and we never went fast in the car and were never in an accident and I always got to ride in the front seat. Now you can't do any of that, it's all too dangerous, and this was only little over 10 years ago that we did it. And the rule about child car seats is you have to be so many inches tall and/or weigh so many pounds, what about midgets who will never get above that limit? They should be confined to a special seat their whole lives because they don't meet a standardized height requirement? And I can understand for really little kids that's important, but 7 and 8 years old?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:49 pm

Supernova wrote:And some people have NEVER used seatbelts and they also in their whole driving career have NEVER been in an accident.

And I personally feel a lot of the same way about child car seats, I never had one, and we never went fast in the car and were never in an accident and I always got to ride in the front seat. Now you can't do any of that, it's all too dangerous, and this was only little over 10 years ago that we did it. And the rule about child car seats is you have to be so many inches tall and/or weigh so many pounds, what about midgets who will never get above that limit? They should be confined to a special seat their whole lives because they don't meet a standardized height requirement? And I can understand for really little kids that's important, but 7 and 8 years old?

There are a lot more cars on the road now then say then 10 or 20 years ago but I think a kid 7 or 8 can use a seatbelt. Babies and younger children should be more secured in a moving vehicle.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Exactly, I started using a seatbelt when I was 7, and I was always little, so if I could use one, I don't know why 7 year olds today couldn't.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah, I've seen quite a few. However, not that many in the immediate area where I live (let's keep it that way) but when I'm driving in other areas, I notice them immediately. I've actually seen the light flash in front of my face and I got snapped by one before. But I was just passenger in my friend's car so she got the ticket. Talk about pissed.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:20 pm

We got some but I think they are dumb. Sure, they reduce accidents at THESE intersections, and increase them at all the others. Razz
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:15 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:We got some but I think they are dumb. Sure, they reduce accidents at THESE intersections, and increase them at all the others. Razz

Yeah it's just like state troopers and their radar guns for speeders, anybody who can tell when they're approaching one is just going to slow down for THAT area so they can't get clocked speeding, but that's not going to stop them from stomping on the gas as soon as they're out of that area.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:47 am

Red light cams are everywhere here in Ohio. Especially in Cleavland/Columbus.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 am

bump
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon May 02, 2011 8:07 am

They've recently been approved on a trial basis in a few locations under the guise of "public safety". I call bull shit! Red light cameras are just another way to milk a cash cow - drivers. These cameras aren't run by the state or municipality. They're operated by a private vendor. These cameras have already been removed in other areas because they caused an increase in rear end collisons. The town isn't not making enough money because too many people are obeying the law? Shorten the duration of the amber light (it's not "yellow"). I don't think it's a law, but a light is supposed to be 1 sec for every 10 mph of the posted speed. 40 mph = 4 sec. 45 mph = 5 seconds (they're supposed to round up).

I read a disturbing opinion in the paper a few weeks back where someone in a position to know predicted that with the success of red light cameras, it won't be long before we get speed cameras too. Big Brother is watching!
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Mon May 02, 2011 10:49 am

I'm not sure if we have there here, but I don't think we do.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 pm

AtownPeep wrote:I'm not sure if we have there here, but I don't think we do.

Guess you will find out if you pass a red light ATP Smile
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    AtownPeep wrote:I'm not sure if we have there here, but I don't think we do.

As far as I know, their use has to be posted in NJ (on a sign near the intersection) but I don't know if that's true in other states.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

As far as I know, their use has to be posted in NJ (on a sign near the intersection) but I don't know if that's true in other states.

Not here, they just snag you by surprise.
    Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

Post by Friendly Veteran Mon May 02, 2011 1:30 pm

I just completed a local Citizens Police Academy course. Traffic lights were covered. They explained the timing on them and how they work.

As far as I can see it they work properly. However, I agree that there is no perfect system but overall I do not have a problem with them.

I have read the stats on accident reduction a year later after they were installed and accidents did diminish greatly. Specially at an intersection I go through every day. I still remember one day after work about a couple of block from this intersection the traffic was at a stall. I could see the police and ambulance lights blinking. I said 'great, another one'. Well, when I finally got to that intersection I saw one car back half in one piece. The front half was scattered all over the intersection. The poor guy that got hit I am sure did not know what happened to him. He was torn in pieces in a split second. It was horrible. That intersection was one of the deadliest in the city.

After they installed lights the accidents were greatly reduced in that intersection.

My point is, even if some city counsel get those light installed to get more money for the city and it does prevent accidents, I am for it. After all the lights are simply an extra set of eyes since there are not enough officers to check on the road all the time.
    Second, if you do not speed you should not have a problem and worry about it. I do not speed any more than maybe 5 over the limit when suddenly I realize I am going over and then slow down.

If you speed and get caught, you deserve that ticket. You know the speed limit so why go over?

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon May 02, 2011 3:34 pm

We don't have them here, I don't think, but I personally don't care either way. I follow traffic laws, so I have no worries. They have no reason to fine people unless they were breaking a traffic law, and if people don't like being fined, practice safer driving, it's very simple.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

They're slick....they can catch you from behind now. The cameras are never posted in front or on the side of the light so you'll never even know if a traffic light has one or not.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Friendly Veteran wrote:...My point is, even if some city counsel get those light installed to get more money for the city and it does prevent accidents, I am for it. After all the lights are simply an extra set of eyes since there are not enough officers to check on the road all the time.
    Second, if you do not speed you should not have a problem and worry about it. I do not speed any more than maybe 5 over the limit when suddenly I realize I am going over and then slow down.

If you speed and get caught, you deserve that ticket. You know the speed limit so why go over?
    MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:We don't have them here, I don't think, but I personally don't care either way. I follow traffic laws, so I have no worries. They have no reason to fine people unless they were breaking a traffic law, and if people don't like being fined, practice safer driving, it's very simple.

This is the bottom line. Don't run the fucking red light and the cameras will not be a problem. And, after a while the fools behind you will learn that ppl are going to actually slow down and stop at a red light.

This from a guy who lives in a city full of sociopaths in cars who will run you down and keep on going. I have no sympathy for scofflaws.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue May 03, 2011 1:24 am

i was driving home from work one night, after 11pm. i was on freeway, an i guess there was a camera on side of road, speed limit is 65, i was probably goin 77, and this big ass flash fuckin blinds me an i swerve, dayum thing almost made me go off the road.

sure enough within a few weeks i get a the letter/photo/fine. it sucked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:57 am