CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
MandyPerfumeGirl
GrayWolf
Marc™
RedBedroom
RobbieFTW
9 posters

Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids Empty Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 pm

My aunt has her son in private school and one day I heard my mom talking on the phone about how the teacher didn't wanna promote my cousin to the next grade level but did it when she threatened to pull him (and her money) out of that school. One of the faulty aspects of a private (money talks) education. That would have never happened in public school.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids Empty Re: Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids

Post by RedBedroom Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 pm

This is an interesting debate. I think that it is unfortunate for the student that would get promoted because his parents said they would pull him (therefore, tuition too) if not promoted.

I would rather see teachers in tune with my son to know he should be held back and not feel that they want to keep the school in money and promote him when he should not be.

My public school early elementary experience was that I was in Chicago, had parents who did not help with with studies, and teachers that did not care. So, I did the very least to get by and did not understand a lot and was certainly not a good student. Yet, I passed every year. Once I got to a small rural school in 6th, I was afforded better instuction, and became a great student for the remainder of my years.

So, not trying to diss your aunt, but I would rather my kid in a school setting where things are noticed, rather than just floating through in a public school.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids Empty Re: Parents Buying Passing Grades For Thier Private School Kids

Post by Marc™ Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Parents only shortchange their kids by doing that. If the child hasn't proven themselves capable of completing a their current grade level, throwing him into the next is just gonna sink him lower and lower into quicksand.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:45 am

Something similar happened to me when I was in grade 4. I hinged on being held back and my mom and dad met with the principal to barter and threaten. Finally they agreed to let me go into the 5th grade if I went to summer school.

No parent wants to accept their child being held back I guess. I passed summer school and got to go into the correct grade the next fall.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 am

That's not a fair representation of all private schools. It's not a common thing. And that might happen in a public school, you never know - a lot of public schools are toilets.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:42 am

In a perfect world, that should be enough to get the kid expelled from school; but money makes the world go round, so I can believe that this sort of thing happens a lot in the private school system.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 am

That's only setting the child up to fail eventually. By the time they get to college, bribery and blackmail won't work.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah, any parents who actually would do a thing like that, they've got a HELL of a lot more money than brains.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:02 pm

They're only hurting their own kids by doing that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:37 am