CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies Empty Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 am

Which ones would you recommend?

One everybody knows and talks about is On the Beach from 1959 with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner and Anthony Perkins...and it's a very chilling movie, the end of it, *shivers*, I cringe everytime just thinking about it.

Another that I remember fondly (somehow) is The Day After, which many people compare to and pass over for its English redoing, Threads. The Day After freaked the HELL out of me, because it is awful to think about and as horrifying as what you see is, you know, and they say it at the end, the movie couldn't come close to comparing how bad it would be if the real thing happened.

Control. A lesser known movie from 1987, not exactly about nuclear winter and fallout, but a great and in my opinion, horrifying look at what modern (for the 80s) life would be like in a shelter, you have 15 people, women and men, adults and kids, crammed together in an enclosed space that they must live in together for 20 days to complete the experiment, and on the last day an announcement is made that the real thing is about to happen, and they have to decide if they let the people outside in and take the risks, or protect themselves and let everybody else die.

This is Not a Test! from 1962 I believe...corny, campy, laughably bad in many parts but the ending can still scare the hell out of you, I think...I saw that one night a couple years back, it ended at 3 in the morning and I went to bed kind of wide eyed and all in awe at it.

Those are about the only ones I've seen so far, anybody else got some to recommend?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies Empty Re: Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 am

It's been years since I've seen it (and can't honestly remember if it's any good) but there's The World the Flesh and the Devil (1959).

They're not post apocalyptic but I would recommend Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Fail-Safe, both from 1964.
    adamwarlock
    adamwarlock
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies Empty nuke films

Post by adamwarlock Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:44 pm

Testament-an underrated, near forgotten film from the 80s, around the same time as the Day After.

On the Beach (1959) about the people of Australia (& a few Americans there) dealing with the fact that the rest of the world is gone due to a nuclear war and them waiting for the radiation to reach them & the end of humanity.

The War Game (1965) was made for but banned by the BBC as too scary for the public. It detailed a nuclear attack on the UK in a documentary fashion. Very harsh and grim.

The Mad Max films seem to be post-apocalyptic but not sure if it's due to nuclear war. Mad Max 2 AKA The Road Warrior is my favorite.

A British TV series called Survivors is about living after a man made plague has killed off 90% of the population. There was a 70s version and one from a few years ago.

Dr. Who and the Daleks (film version 1965) was about another planet after a nuclear war.

Many B sci-fi films from the 50s thru to the 80s had post-nuclear versions of the future which often had mutants and seemingly not much in the way of radiation poisoning.

Sponsored content

Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies Empty Re: Nuclear war/fallout/holocaust movies

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:55 am