CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TSJFan4Ever
Forgiveness Man
Chris
RedBedroom
RiteDiva
Supernova
RobbieFTW
11 posters

Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ?

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ? Empty Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ?

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:49 pm

You think the "structure" and "discipline" from all that strictness serves them as they grow into adults or will it run them out the house and make the resentful and rebellious of their parents attitudes?

*Thanks Alan for inspiring this question! big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ? Empty Re: Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ?

Post by Supernova Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:57 pm

If a kid has rules at all, they are going to rebel, it's just natural, that's my theory anyway. Once in a while you will get kids who don't rebel, they're the exceptionally good kids, but most of us, we take whatever limits we have and try to cross the line, part of it I think is in us trying to find our own independence, we're trying to live our lives and not our parents', and part of it is because we think we know better than our parents.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ? Empty Re: Are kids of strict parents more likely to rebel ?

Post by RiteDiva Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 pm

No matter what type of parents you have, kids will naturally try and deviate from their style. When I moved out I was hellbent on using Wisk detergent, simply because my mother had always used Tied and I wanted a completely different brand in my setup.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 am

RobbieFTW wrote:You think the "structure" and "discipline" from all that strictness serves them as they grow into adults or will it run them out the house and make the resentful and rebellious of their parents attitudes?

I think that it depends on the parents. It is one thing to be strict, but when they are strict and impersonal, then kids are more likely to rebel. For example, my son has been wanting to walk to the mall with a group of friends. Instead of telling him no, just because, "I said so" I explain that one stretch of street that they would walk is unsafe and reminded him of a news report about it this summer after it was repaved. Of course, our conversations don't end with him thanking me for keeping him safe! He is usually still pissed, but at least I take the time to give reason. Parents who just say no with no offer of explanation create more of a setting for rebellion.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Kids of parents who are strict tend to be more naive. From there when they inevitably get away from their parents thumb, they either overindulge in the usually forbidden freedom and can easily get caught up in situations that they weren't used to. I'm a perfect example of this. My parents were strict and I was a good boy at home. Away from home, I may have hesitated, but it didn't take much convincing.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 pm

By definition, a kid who has to follow rules will rebel more. That doesn't mean their behavior will be more reckless. Some kids' reckless behavior is just validated by their parents so it technically isn't rebelling. FORGIVENESS MAN
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:16 am

RedBedroom wrote:I think that it depends on the parents. It is one thing to be strict, but when they are strict and impersonal, then kids are more likely to rebel. For example, my son has been wanting to walk to the mall with a group of friends. Instead of telling him no, just because, "I said so" I explain that one stretch of street that they would walk is unsafe and reminded him of a news report about it this summer after it was repaved. Of course, our conversations don't end with him thanking me for keeping him safe! He is usually still pissed, but at least I take the time to give reason. Parents who just say no with no offer of explanation create more of a setting for rebellion.

ITA with this. I think it depend son how it's all handled. Most kids will rebel at some point, but if parents are strict with no reasons, then you're more likely to run into problems. I find really permissive parents who don't want their child to ever be unhappy are the bigger problem - over indlugence doesn't do the kid any favours.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun May 01, 2011 8:29 am

bump
    Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun May 01, 2011 10:36 am

Supernova wrote:If a kid has rules at all, they are going to rebel, it's just natural, that's my theory anyway. Once in a while you will get kids who don't rebel, they're the exceptionally good kids, but most of us, we take whatever limits we have and try to cross the line, part of it I think is in us trying to find our own independence, we're trying to live our lives and not our parents', and part of it is because we think we know better than our parents.
    co-signs

I came from a fairly strict, sex negative upbringing - not just my family but the cultural norm. Guess where the counter culture came from?

I think it is a lot on the nature of kids - and some will rebel more than others with the same strictness of parents.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun May 01, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah it's like my brother, he never did anything wrong, always backed up what our mother said, and me, I was always trying to do my own thing and I was always the one in trouble. And my mother personally does NOT believe rebellion is natural because she pointed out my brother never did it so why should I?

I love my mother, but despite having four kids and raising three, she shows a stunning lack of imagination sometimes.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue May 03, 2011 4:38 am

It's true that no matter what style of parent you are, at some point the kids will challenge or contradict your ways....big or small. But yeah, the stricter the parent, the more likely the kid is to rebel. I remember back in HS and college I dated a few girls who came from strict/religious households raised by boy-phobic parents who were so determined to keep them from becoming freaks that they wouldn't let them breathe. The girls put on a conservative show in front of their parents....but as soon as they got away, they were the biggest freaks on the block. Being that strict and uptight is unnecessary IMO.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 am

It was that way with me. But it could have just been an inborn desire to go against the grain.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 03, 2011 6:37 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:You think the "structure" and "discipline" from all that strictness serves them as they grow into adults or will it run them out the house and make the resentful and rebellious of their parents attitudes?

*Thanks Alan for inspiring this question! :biggrin:

It could go either way. But yeah, children are more likely to rebel if they dislike how strict their parents are. If they don't mind it, it would be easier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:21 am