CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Marc™
Nystyle709
Supernova
7 posters

Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad' Empty Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'

Post by Supernova Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Exactly what is the logic behind this? Are they embarrassed to be parents? To be identified as parents? I never got this one, what is the thinking behind having your kids call you by your first name?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad' Empty Re: Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'

Post by Nystyle709 Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 pm

It's think it's retarded. I still call my mother 'Ma' and my father 'Daddy'. I will never call them by their first names.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad' Empty Re: Parents who don't want their kids to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'

Post by Marc™ Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I call my father by his first name. When my grandparents were alive, he called them by their first names....my cousins on my fathers side call my uncle (their father) by his first name too. My mother said my first word was "daddy", but my father directed me to call him by his name, and that was that. It's just a "family" thing on my fathers side, they don't do the "dad/daddy" thing. I think it's because it's mostly boys, and the men on that side aren't especially affectionate with their sons. My sister calls my father "daddy", so yeah....my guess is probably right.

My kids call me "pop" though.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat May 28, 2011 1:48 pm

My grandmother on my fathers side never wanted her grandkids to call her 'grandma,' so we called her by her middle name. Some families are just informal like that.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat May 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I am super traditional, so it is strange to me. I could never do it, but to each their own.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat May 28, 2011 10:48 pm

I don't care what other parents want to be called by their kids. I'm Dad or Daddy and my wife is Mommy. Maybe some (not all) are more concerned about being a cool friend to their kids instead of a parent. Others may just like to do things differently.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun May 29, 2011 12:53 am

Yeah - in some cases, I think parents think it's cool nd they want to be "cool" with their kids and be friends, arther than parents. Other times, it's probably tradition.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon May 30, 2011 8:09 am

In the case of my grandmother, I think she just wasn't comfortable with the term 'grandma,' and wanted something less traditional. Maybe it made her feel old. Shrugs (Oh well…)

One day I was talking on the phone to a friend who needed to call his dad really quick. On three-way with me, he dialed the number and when the line was answered, he said 'Hey Terry, this is Kirk…' They spoke for about three minutes before I realized Terry was his father.

Again, some families are just informal, I guess.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:05 pm