CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
RedBedroom
Supernova
MandyPerfumeGirl
CatEyes10736
Nystyle709
Shale
Jason B.
11 posters

Giving Rides to Strangers

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Giving Rides to Strangers Empty Giving Rides to Strangers

Post by Jason B. Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 pm

So the other day I was leaving the gym, and these two guys were standing outside the door asking folks for a ride. Apparently their car had broken down and they needed to get to a gas station (i think it was a gas station they said, i forget that part). You're always taught to not take rides from or give rides to strangers, so instinctively I said no. Didn't wanna come off rude, so I made up some BS response about how I was headed in the opposite direction that they probably were able to tell was a lie. When I got in the car I felt bad because they probably weren't looking to rob and decapitate me and probably were honestly in need of help. If that was true then I hoped that they found a good Samaritan that did but like I said, you're always told to be weary of people you don't know.

Have you ever given a total stranger a ride, or have you been in a postition where you needed to go somewhere and had to ask around for a ride?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Giving Rides to Strangers Empty Re: Giving Rides to Strangers

Post by Shale Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 pm

JB wrote:Have you ever given a total stranger a ride, or have you been in a postition where you needed to go somewhere and had to ask around for a ride?
    There was a time in my youth when hitch-hiking was very common, and I did it and took rides cross country. Also, when I was in New Orleans, I found this couple needing a ride to the airport and I took them (quite out of the way - but that is what we did back then)

I don't have a car now so don't know if I would continue that.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41 pm

First instinct....hell no. But, in that situation, I would've helped by calling someone out to help them.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 pm

I have been in a position where I had to ask a stranger on the street for a ride or some kind of car help. It's one of those situations where you just hope someone can see that you're genuinely in need and that they have a big enough heart to spare a moment for help. You have to be careful because it's a crazy world and there are sincere seeming lunatics out there, but at the same time it's good to give help when you can - even if you have to keep your defenses up. What goes around comes around.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 am

I've never given a stranger a ride and I've never gotten into a stranger's car. And there's no need to feel guilty about it, JB - they could've been a couple of lunatics, and quite frankly, I think it's stupid of them to ask people for a ride because no one in their right mind is going to do that in this day and age.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:27 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:I've never given a stranger a ride and I've never gotten into a stranger's car. And there's no need to feel guilty about it, JB - they could've been a couple of lunatics, and quite frankly, I think it's stupid of them to ask people for a ride because no one in their right mind is going to do that in this day and age.

That's right, because today everybody is looking out for number 1, so what if other people have to suffer? it doesn't involve them, so it doesn't matter.

This is a gray area for me. My uncle's brother gave hitchhikers rides all the time, and then one day the two men he was giving a ride to killed him. My uncle was crushed, because they were twins so one felt what the other did and all that, but that didn't stop him from giving hitchhikers rides either, and nothing ever happened to him.

Now the thing I wonder is who is at the greater disadvantage when it comes to hitchhiking? Is it more dangerous for the person thumbing a ride, or is it more dangerous for the person who lets a stranger into their car? Obviously either way something could go wrong but does anybody know what the ratio is of who is harmed more often in these cases?

Now, there have been a couple of times in my life that I have been offered a ride somewhere when I had my hands full, and I declined, partly because of yes that gut instinct that reminds you of all that stranger crap you had hammered into you as a kid, but also because my brother was on his way down to pick me up anyway. And on one hand, though I never took anybody up on their offer, I was thankful that they DID offer to help me.

But then you have to consider the other side of this, wasn't it said that Ted Bundy found his victims that way? Pretending that he needed a ride somewhere and had his hands full or something? Of course, that seems to be a rarity, and whether it's because most people aren't like him or because most people will not give strangers lifts and won't accept lifts from strangers, I don't know.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:46 am

Don't do it. It is the nature of the beast...beast being ill society. You just don't know what will happen.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am

Never did it. Once I was driving at night in the summer and was approached by this drug addict. He came up to my passenger door, my window was down and so he asks me for a ride down the street to pick up some weed. I politely declined. He was "Oh come on, just down the street will only take a minute." Once again I say no. Thankfully my passenger door was locked cause he tried to open it. I sped off.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:33 am

I never have picked anyone up and unless I thought they were in danger, I don't think I ever would. If I thought someone was just in need, I would make a call. I've never hitchhiked either but one time I was looking for an address in downtown Newark and I asked directions from a family in a car. They told me where I needed to go and then offered me a ride. Which I took. I think it was more a leap of faith on their part. They could have been giving a ride to a freaky white boy. Well, technically they were, but I meant no harm. :biggrin:
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:48 am

RobbieFTW wrote:Never did it. Once I was driving at night in the summer and was approached by this drug addict. He came up to my passenger door, my window was down and so he asks me for a ride down the street to pick up some weed. I politely declined. He was "Oh come on, just down the street will only take a minute." Once again I say no. Thankfully my passenger door was locked cause he tried to open it. I sped off.

Something similar happened to me once. Once while I was at the gas pump, this woman who looked like a some sort of drug addicted prostitute approached me, frantically asking if I could drive her to the nearest bus stop. When I hesitated, she became almost hysterical and fell to her knees begging. It was fortunate that a bus stop was right there in front of the gas station. I pointed it out to her and she was on her merry. No way was she was getting in my car.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:55 am

Never have and never will.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:43 pm

alan smithee wrote:...then offered me a ride. Which I took. I think it was more a leap of faith on their part. They could have been giving a ride to a freaky white boy. Well, technically they were, but I meant no harm. :biggrin:
    Back in the "Hippie" hitch-hiking days, I was on an entrance ramp to I-10 out west somewhere heading back east. It was amusing at the number of times I saw a passenger in a car - with windows already rolled up - push the lock button down as they passed me. Note that they were doing over 40-MPH going onto the interstate. Like I was Super Hippie and gonna run and jump into their car?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:25 am