CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS Empty Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS

Post by Marc™ Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am

Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS

By Philip Pullella
    VATICAN CITY | Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:09pm EST

(Reuters) - The use of condoms to stop the spread of AIDS may be justified in certain cases, Pope Benedict says in a new book that could herald the start of sea change in the Vatican's attitude to condoms.

In excerpts published in the Vatican newspaper on Saturday ahead of the book's publication next week, the pope cites the example of the use of condoms by prostitutes as "a first step toward moralization" even though condoms are "not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection."

While some Roman Catholic leaders have spoken in the past about the limited use of condoms in specific cases to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS as a lesser of two evils, this is the first time the pope has mentioned the possibility himself in public.

The Vatican newspaper unexpectedly published significant excerpts from the book on Saturday night, days before extracts were initially due to be made public.

The pope's words appeared to be a major shift in the Vatican's attitude. While no formal position existed in a Vatican document, the majority of Church leaders have been saying for decades that the use of condoms was not even part of the solution to fighting aids.

The late cardinal John O'Connor of New York famously branded the use of condoms to stop the spread of AIDS as "The Big Lie."

Last year, the pope caused an international uproar when he told journalists taking him to Africa that condoms should not be used because they could worsen the spread of AIDS.

The new book, called Light of the World, is made up of Benedict's responses to questions by German Catholic journalist Peter Seewald over a month of meetings at the papal summer residence.

The pope says that the "sheer fixation on the condom implies a canalization of sexuality" where sexuality is no longer an expression of love "but only a sort of drug that people administer to themselves."

After the pope first mentions that the use of condoms could be justified in certain limited cases, such as by prostitutes, Seewald asks: "Are you saying, then, that the Catholic Church is actually not opposed in principle to the use of condoms?"

The pope answers: "She of course does not regard it as a real or moral solution, but, in this or that case, there can be nonetheless, in the intention of reducing the risk of infection, a first step in a movement toward a different way, a more humane way, of living sexuality."

(Additional reporting by Tom Heneghan; Editing by Peter Graff)

Source:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AJ1CC20101120
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS Empty Re: Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:56 pm

I knew this would be brought up here. It's so funny to see the media making a big deal of what is really NOT news. Now they're making all sorts of baseless assumptions. xD Ah, so much fun to watch.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS Empty Re: Pope says condoms sometimes permissible to stop AIDS

Post by Shale Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I knew this would be brought up here. It's so funny to see the media making a big deal of what is really NOT news. ...
    Not News? This Pope finally countermands what has been an absolute in the Catholic faith for decades and it should not be reported? How would I know to tell my Catholic rentboys that the Pope says they can now use condoms as a disease preventive.

And what about all those priests who had to anguish over going against doctrine if they used condoms with the alter boys?(SNARKASM) eye roll

Actually, this isn't much of a big deal as male prostitutes are doing guys and there is no birth control issue. Far surpassing male pros are the females who have insisted on condoms since I was doing Catholic Mexicans in border towns in the '60s. (I surmised they were catholic because they 1. Were Mexican 2. Had a crucifix over the bed 3. Crossed themselves once for every dollar they held in their hands) Now the Pope should just go ahead and tell those Mexican pros that they can do what they have been doing all along - but that is the hypocrisy of most religions - don't shine a light on reality, just perpetuate the lie.

Last edited by Shale on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling It Out For Some Ppl)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Shale wrote:
    Not News? This Pope finally countermands what has been an absolute in the Catholic faith for decades and it should not be reported? How would I know to tell my Catholic rentboys that the Pope says they can now use condoms as a disease preventive. And what about all those priests who had to anguish over going against doctrine if they used condoms with the alter boys?

The Pope hasn't countermined anything. That's why I made the comment I did; the media is trying to spin something out of nothing. This is a clarification of what the Church has always taught; it's just being misunderstood to mean something that it doesn't. As I said, funny stuff to watch.

As for the priest anguishing over going against Church teaching, that's crap. If they can go against teaching to molest boys, then they clearly had zero respect for church teaching in the first place. xD
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm still tripping off the fact that the pope is saying that it's okay for prostitutes to use condoms. So is the Vatican okaying prostitution?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Marc™ wrote:I'm still tripping off the fact that the pope is saying that it's okay for prostitutes to use condoms. So is the Vatican okaying prostitution?

Nope. That's what I laugh at. These news articles are spinning this story into things it isn't even close to being.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Regardless, I stopped caring long ago what one particular man wearing a funny hat in Rome has to say about how I live my life.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:01 pm

alan smithee wrote:Regardless, I stopped caring long ago what one particular man wearing a funny hat in Rome has to say about how I live my life.
    Dats why you ain't Catholic.

I honestly don't get why ANYBODY cares. If you're not Catholic, the pope's words clearly won't mean anything to you. If you are Catholic, you'd actually follow what he says. Which makes the fact that people do make a fuss about it all the more baffling.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Dats why you ain't Catholic.

I honestly don't get why ANYBODY cares. If you're not Catholic, the pope's words clearly won't mean anything to you. If you are Catholic, you'd actually follow what he says. Which makes the fact that people do make a fuss about it all the more baffling.

Actually, I am a baptized Roman Catholic. Baptized, First Holy Communion, Confirmation. The works. I just reached an age many years ago where all organized religion stopped making any sense to me so I left The Church. There’s a scene from the film Chariots of Fire where the very devote Eric Liddell, who refused to run in an Olympic race on a Sunday is asked if he had any regrets. He answers something like, “Regrets, yes. But no doubts.” I haven’t had either one. See, that's why I wrote, "I stopped caring..."

Last edited by alan smithee on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote: ...If you are Catholic, you'd actually follow what he says. ...
    Not really. That is the myth.

The fact is Catholics in America have been quietly living their secular lives outside the constraints of church doctrine and have yet to be excommunicated, therefore they remain catholics.

I've known about this since the days of meatless Friday, where Catholics would often eat meat. (Notice that eventually got dropped. Too silly and too ignored?)

You think every practicing Catholic couple has been doing the cumbersome and often ineffective "rhythm method" of birth control? And how about those Catholic whores I fucked in Mexico - who were using condoms in 1964.

No, there are a lot of Catholics who just go about their lives, ignoring the ignorant, archaic edicts from Rome.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

alan smithee wrote:

Actually, I am a baptized Roman Catholic. Baptized, First Holy Communion, Confirmation. The works. I just reached an age many years ago where all organized religion stopped making any sense to me so I left The Church. There’s a scene from the film Chariots of Fire where the very devote Eric Liddell, who refused to run in an Olympic race on a Sunday is asked if he had any regrets. He answers something like, “Regrets, yes. But no doubts.” I haven’t had either. See, that's why I wrote, "I stopped caring..."

You left the church; hence you ain't Catholic. xD Religions are not something like race that you're born into but something you believe/accept. If you don't accept/believe, you're not really a part of that religion. It's just how it is.

So again, my point remains. If you're not Catholic(included ex-Catholics), the pope's words aren't going to matter to you one way or another, and if you are Catholic, you would take what he says to heart. Thus, the pope's words really have no reason to upset even one single person.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:

You left the church; hence you ain't Catholic. xD Religions are not something like race that you're born into but something you believe/accept. If you don't accept/believe, you're not really a part of that religion. It's just how it is.

So again, my point remains. If you're not Catholic(included ex-Catholics), the pope's words aren't going to matter to you one way or another, and if you are Catholic, you would take what he says to heart. Thus, the pope's words really have no reason to upset even one single person.

Are you Catholic?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:29 pm

alan smithee wrote:Are you Catholic?
    He has to ask? xD The man is asking. lol
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    ... You left the church; hence you ain't Catholic. xD Religions are not something like race that you're born into but something you believe/accept. ...

IDK. My friend Thomasangelo Licavoli came from a Sicilian family and he was born Catholic. Even tho we used to joke about the pope and make anti Catholic jokes, and Tom actually ate Sloppy Joe at a sleepover at my house as teens, he was very much Catholic attended mass regularly and married a good Catholic girl. (If he didn't marry a Catholic, she would have had to convert and raise any children as Catholic - that was how it was back then)

Every pedophile priest is Catholic (as well as their enabler Bishops who haven't turned them over to authorities but quietly shipped them off to another diocese).

Every murdering Mafioso & Cosanostra is Catholic even tho they secretly break quite a few doctrines of the faith. (And they usually do the most financially beneficial good works for the Churh who asks no questions). In fact, wasn't Mussolini and his G/F Catholic?

Don't try to push that Catholic party line spin here. It don't hold water.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Shale wrote:

IDK. My friend Thomasangelo Licavoli came from a Sicilian family and he was born Catholic. Even tho we used to joke about the pope and make anti Catholic jokes, and Tom actually ate Sloppy Joe at a sleepover at my house as teens, he was very much Catholic attended mass regularly and married a good Catholic girl.

Every pedophile priest is Catholic (as well as their enabler Bishops who haven't turned them over to authorities but quietly shipped them off to another diocese).

Every murdering Mafioso & Cosanostra is Catholic even tho they secretly break quite a few doctrines of the faith. (And they usually do the most financially beneficial good works for the Churh who asks no questions). In fact, wasn't Mussolini and his G/F Catholic?

Don't try to push that Catholic party line spin here. It don't hold water.

It holds much water. Although I don't use Catholic party line split; it's just the basics of subscribing to a religion. If you don't believe it, you're not it.

Lots of people profess Catholicism but if you don't believe the dooctrines, you're really just a Catholic in name only. Sure, everyone sins but if you continually and knowingly violate church teaching without even acknowledging your error, you're just not really Catholic.

So yes, it holds quite a lot of water. Pedophile priests and mafia killers are violating Church teaching and have basically excommunicated themselves from the Church. People just don't want to accept that being Catholics means more than professing to be it. The only thing that doesn't hold water is the notion that you can claim to be Catholic and have it stick.

I can't speak to your friend cause I don't know enough about him. But I will say being a good Catholic is more than going to Mass. And it's certainly more than checking the Catholic box when asked your religion.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:
    ...Sure, everyone sins but if you continually and knowingly violate church teaching without even acknowledging your error, you're just not really Catholic.

So yes, it holds quite a lot of water. Pedophile priests and mafia killers are violating Church teaching and have basically excommunicated themselves from the Church...

OH, Really?

I thot excommunication was an official Church function. And all those scofflaws were buried in hallowed Catholic cemeteries so the Church seems to have no prob with accepting them as still Catholic.

You try to downplay that the Catholic Church is as much about politics as it is about religion. The Pope is given much international political deference because he is the Head of State of the Vatican.

So a lot of your arguments seem to be based on your own feelings about the Church rather than on the actual workings of the Church.

Last edited by Shale on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:He has to ask? xD The man is asking. lol

Well, I had an idea because you're having manicotti for Thanksgiving which usually means Italian. From there it's not a great leap to Catholic.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 pm

^^^^Again, he has to ask? FORGIVENESS MAN

Shale wrote:OH, Really?I thot excommunication was an official Church function. And all those scofflaws were buried in hallowed Catholic cemeteries so the Church seems to have no prob with accepting them as still Catholic.You try to downplay that the Catholic Church is as much about politics as it is about religion. The Pope is given much international political deference because he is the head of state of the Vatican. So a lot of your arguments seem to be based on your own feelings about the Church rather than on the actual workings of the Church.

Really! Razz One can excommunicate themselves quite easily. You thought? Hmmmm, not enough apparently. FORGIVENESS MAN I ain't even getting into the crock of poopoo and biased personal opinion that your second comment is. It's off-topic and so far out of reality that it's pointless to dwell on.

Like all of your arguments are based on what YOU think and not what the church really says? FORGIVENESS MAN All of my arguments are based on the actual teachings of the church. If you don't agree with church teachings, don't be Catholic. It just amazes me how bitter people get over something they have no reason to care for.

Anyway, it's useless continuing this like this since it's already off-topic.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote: Really! Razz One can excommunicate themselves quite easily. You thought? Hmmmm, not enough apparently. FORGIVENESS MAN I ain't even getting into the crock of poopoo and biased personal opinion that your second comment is. It's off-topic and so far out of reality that it's pointless to dwell on.

Like all of your arguments are based on what YOU think and not what the church really says? FORGIVENESS MAN All of my arguments are based on the actual teachings of the church. If you don't agree with church teachings, don't be Catholic. It just amazes me how bitter people get over something they have no reason to care for.

Surely you do realize with all your posturing and air of authority without attribution or reference is quite transparent to the ppl here who read your posts.

And then when called on it, you switch and run by calling other ppl bitter, liberal and biased, without even so much as a nod to your own biases in the debate.

I concede to you again, the last word in a debate because it is pointles to debate you. Oh, I noticed I am not alone in that exasperation.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:41 pm

The irony of your entire post is that it can almost all be applied to you.
    So please, give it a rest.Where you are concerned, I just did.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:59 pm

The Catholic Church flip-flops more than John McCain!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:01 pm

captainbryce wrote:The Catholic Church flip-flops more than John McCain!

How is this a flip-flop? The Catholic Church doesn't flip-flop, the media just likes to misrepresent what it says. This is actually NOT a new church teaching. It's how it's been taught for a long time.(Yeah, surprise) But people are just taking it to mean much more than it is. If they actually the time to find out what is actually said instead of media paraphrase, they'd see that the media is merely twisting the facts to get a story.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:

How is this a flip-flop? The Catholic Church doesn't flip-flop, the media just likes to misrepresent what it says. This is actually NOT a new church teaching. It's how it's been taught for a long time.(Yeah, surprise) But people are just taking it to mean much more than it is. If they actually the time to find out what is actually said instead of media paraphrase, they'd see that the media is merely twisting the facts to get a story.

The Media - Evil Subjective Journalism, or the New Scapegoat for Weak Unsubstantiated Arguments.
    Stay Tuned. Film at 11.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:How is this a flip-flop? The Catholic Church doesn't flip-flop, the media just likes to misrepresent what it says. This is actually NOT a new church teaching. It's how it's been taught for a long time.(Yeah, surprise) But people are just taking it to mean much more than it is. If they actually the time to find out what is actually said instead of media paraphrase, they'd see that the media is merely twisting the facts to get a story.
    I'm not talking about this ONE thing in particular, I'm talking about in general, throughout history. Each Pope inteprets the religion (for everyone else) the way HE likes and chooses which rules are important, which ones to do away with what is a sin, what isn't a sin, etc. It's all subjective and all dependent on HIS intepretation.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm

captainbryce wrote:I'm not talking about this ONE thing in particular, I'm talking about in general, throughout history. Each Pope inteprets the religion (for everyone else) the way HE likes and chooses which rules are important, which ones to do away with what is a sin, what isn't a sin, etc. It's all subjective and all dependent on HIS intepretation.

That is entirely and 100% just untrue and a complete outsider understanding of the Church. If you don't like the church, your choice. But it's hardly the way you describe at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:13 am