CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Cheaps
RedBedroom
Marc™
7 posters

The Role of a Step Parent.

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

The Role of a Step Parent. Empty The Role of a Step Parent.

Post by Marc™ Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:46 am

What do you think the role of a stepparent is in a blended household? If the custodial parent has custody and the non custodial parent is out of the picture (dead or estranged), should it be expected that the kids call their stepparents "mom" and "dad?"
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

The Role of a Step Parent. Empty Re: The Role of a Step Parent.

Post by RedBedroom Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:53 am

Marc, great question.

I think that if a child is an infant/toddler and they have only ever known that one step parent as dad or mom, then it is fine. But it is not o.k. if they are older and have known their birth mom/dad.

My step daughter was taught to call her step dad "dad" and my guy was 100% in her life and it cut him like a knife to know his, then nine year old, call step daddy, "dad". It was a case of her mom wanting to keep up appearances, and have them both addressed as mom and dad. Not cool at all.

And I am sad to say that it made my guy be strange with her for longer than it needed to be.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 am

well like i said in the other tread bout estranged parents, i hardly knew/seen my dad. my ma had remarried in 91, but was wit him since 87. anyway i had never called him dad, introduced him as my stepdad, called him by his first name.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:53 am

I have a step mom and dad. I have no communication with my stepmom (dads wife) but I live with my mom and her 2nd husband my stepdad. I call him by his name because I didn't meet him until I was 14. He's a really really good guy and I get along with him fine. I think the "ROLE" of a stepparent in the house where stepkids are concerned is to backup the bio parents. Stepparents should always take their cues from the bio parent where those kids are concerned. In other words, the stepparent shouldn't be setting the curfew, but if the bio parent says be home by 10, then the stepparent should back up that rule.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:32 am

I was raised by my mom and stepfather. He came into our lives when I was about 6 and I grew up calling him dad. I also had contact with my real dad, so in effect I had two dads which now have to be clarified with names when referring to "dad." My stepfather never disciplined us, that was my mom's area.

I am a stepfather to my daughter whom I inherited at the age of 13. So, I only helped raise her for the last 5 years of childhood. She called me "Shale" not dad. In fact there was some initial resentment when she came to live with me and Brenda - like everytime we went into the bedroom to fuck, we could expect the sullen teenager when we got out.

But, that got better, especially after one of the girls aunts told her that Shale was the only real dad in her life. Yeah, my wife worked evenings so I did the supper, homework-tutoring and curfew stuff. She jokingly calls me "daddy" now (if she wants something). My grandkids have always called me Opa (No one knows where black kids from Miami came up with a German name for grampa - it may be one of those natural words like baba/poppa.)
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:35 am

I think it really depends on what the family is comfortable with and how old the child is when the step parent enters the picture. If both biological parents are still in the picture, their feelings need to be taken into account. I have friends who had their child refer to the step parent as "mama" or "papa", while referring to their biological parents as Mom and Dad. Others use first names. It really depends on the situation but no child should be forced to call the step parent "mom" or "dad" if he or she doesn't want to.

A friend of mine married her childhood sweetheart a few years ago. She had three children but this guy was the only father any of them had really known and he'd been in their lives as a father figure from the time the little one was barely more than a baby. The children's fathers are big jerks and she has a restraining order against both them. They haven't been in the kids lives at all. She takes full responsibility and said she made stupid decisions being with both of these guys. On the day she married, he had special necklaces for the girls and a bracelet for the boy. He gave each of them a hug and said that while he'd always thought of them as his daughters, after today, it would be official. The little one was already clamouring to have her named changed to match her new Dad's.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:59 am

I think it all depends on when the step parent comes into the childs life. If the mother of a two year old marries a man who isn't his or her natural father but assumes that role, then I see no problem with them calling him "dad." If a child's natural parents is still in their lives or if they're old enough to remember a time before that stepparent was around, then it should be up to them to decide how they wanna view or refer to them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:59 pm