CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Alan Smithee
CatEyes10736
CeCe
Tony Marino
Marc™
9 posters

Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral  Empty Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral

Post by Marc™ Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 pm

If someone you were especially closed to died, would it wrong to not attend their funeral? I don't like funerals....no one does....but my thing about why I don't like them is because I don't want THAT to be my last memory of them. What are your views of this, if someone you were especially close to died, would you feel obligated to go and show your last respect?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral  Empty Re: Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:58 pm

If it were someone close then yes I would go out of respect.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral  Empty Re: Is It Wrong to Not Attend a Funeral

Post by CeCe Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 pm

^^ I agree. If it's someone you were close to I think you should go out of respect. If it's the coffin thing that makes someone uncomfortable, they could always steer clear of the viewing. But especially if it's someone close, you should go.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:15 pm

When my uncle died, at his funeral I remember the priest saying that funerals aren't for the dead but rather the living. They're for the surviving loved ones to take the first step towards closure of the life that was and to resolve creating a new relationship with the deceased that's spiritual rather than physical. I think funerals are very important in that regard.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:When my uncle died, at his funeral I remember the priest saying that funerals aren't for the dead but rather the living.
    co-signs

Marc, it's your decision if you attend or not. The only grief you're going to get (if you don't go) will be from the living, not the dead.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Exactly, the person is already dead, they are not going to care.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm

It isn't wrong, but I think that it is beneficial for the bereaved to attend the funerals of their loved ones, and to–like Cat said–make inroads towards closure. I have a friend whose mother died and he just couldn't bring themselves to attend the funeral. Later he regretted it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't think it is wrong at all not to go. It is 100% up to you to make peace how you see fit.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Marc™ wrote:If someone you were especially closed to died, would it wrong to not attend their funeral? I don't like funerals....no one does....but my thing about why I don't like them is because I don't want THAT to be my last memory of them. What are your views of this, if someone you were especially close to died, would you feel obligated to go and show your last respect?

Of course I'd go. I don't like funerals either and honestly, that's the only time I'll really go to one....if it's someone that I know really well or someone close to me. Which is why I don't want to have to go to a funeral for the next 50 yrs. And really, that isn't going to be your last memory of them. That's just the ceremony. Your last memory of them would be when they were living. If it's someone you're esp close to, you should go. Even if you don't like it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:22 am