CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim? Empty Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim?

Post by Marc™ Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:55 am

In situations where someone is attacked or abused, it's generally deemed inappropriate to blame the victim for what they endure at the hands of someone else.....but is there ever a time when a victim of abuse may have have been partially responsible for the situation....and from there should be blamed, even if their fault wasn't as big as the other parties?

For example: I used to know a girl who got beat up by her boyfriend. She cried, everyone was sympathetic, he was the villain, she was implored by everyone to press charges. She didn't press charges though. Why? Turns out that they had gotten into a bitter argument some weeks before....just an argument, no assault. Afterward she had a few of her male friends beat him up, just to be vindictive. Later he saw her getting off work and beat her up in the parking lot because of what she had done to him. When they got to the police station, and his side of the story came out, she was told that she could very well press charges against him....but....he could also press charges against her. Because of that, they both let each other walk. Stayed together for a while after that, they kept on having violent fights. She kept crying about the way he was treating her.

In this situation, I can't but not feel sorry for her.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim? Empty Re: Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 am

IMO, she is no victim. I don't blame the victim, but I don't believe everyone who claims to be a victim necessarily is one.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim? Empty Re: Is It Ever Right to Blame the Victim?

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 am

Yeah, if she had a pack of guys beat him up first, then she's not the victim. If she had done that in retaliation to him beating her up first, then that would be different.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Marc™ wrote:...In this situation, I can't but not feel sorry for her.
    I would only feel sorry for her because she is so fucked up in the head.

She is not a victim she is co-dependent in a dysfunctional relationship, which usually goes on until one or both die a violent death.

Don't know how well you know them, but you'd be better off avoiding them and never take sides or you too may be a "victim."
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:40 am

In the scenerio you wrote of, yeah, she is a victim, but a victim that is also guilty of something. In that case, they should just both walk away.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:11 am