CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
CeCe
Chris
6 posters

Should filesharing be illegal?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should filesharing be illegal? Empty Should filesharing be illegal?

Post by Chris Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:38 am

The RIAA random selects people who share and download music files online. Do you feel that they are right to do this, or should people be allowed to share their own files with others, so long as there is no exchange of money?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should filesharing be illegal? Empty Re: Should filesharing be illegal?

Post by CeCe Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I have mixed feelings about it. The people involved with the music do deserve to be paid. But at the same time they need to put out a better quality product. Usually there are a couple of good songs on an album & the rest is just trash filler. The fines are obscene. Hundreds of thousands for a couple songs is outrageous. The RIAA's claims that people do not own the CD but only the right to listen to it & that ripping from your CD to an mp3 player is illegal have gotten so absurd that it's hard for me to be sympathetic toward them. If they're having financial issues it's largely their own doing.

I'm not sure it's significantly different from libraries who lend books to be honest.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:37 pm

ITA with CeCe! I have mixed feelings, too, for the reasons stated. Besides, it's not so much the musicians as the companies that produce the music that are bent out of shape. It really is absurd. I supposed if I buy a car, I don't actually own the car, just the right to drive it? I can't share it with a friend? let smoeone else drive it? Ridiculous! I do agree that the artists deserve to be paid, but I'm also not going to buy a CD if there's just one song on it I like.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Nope. They should leave well enough alone. It ain't our fault the music industry sucks. In this day and age with all this technology and you have a problem with something as simple as file sharing?
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 pm

To me filesharing is no different than when we were kids and we'd dub copies of cassettes and give them to friends. The industry probably didn't like that, but no one went hungry from it. Suing twelve year olds and college students because they downloaded something from whatever flavor of the month file share program is hot right now IMO is just a diversion tactic to take away from the fact that music has gotten so bad that people aren't willing to buy it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:ITA with CeCe! I have mixed feelings, too, for the reasons stated. Besides, it's not so much the musicians as the companies that produce the music that are bent out of shape. It really is absurd. I supposed if I buy a car, I don't actually own the car, just the right to drive it? I can't share it with a friend? let smoeone else drive it? Ridiculous! I do agree that the artists deserve to be paid, but I'm also not going to buy a CD if there's just one song on it I like.
    Well, that is what Amazon and iTunes are for. I don't mind paying one dollar for one song I like. What I hate is when record companies play games and make 3+ different versions of an album, each with different exclusive songs. I hate it when iTunes has special songs you can get ONLY if you fork over 12 bucks for an album. It's highway robbery.

I am against pirating music in theory, but I think it has valid cases and I really think that the record companies and their ridiculous ways have fueled the demand for it. Most people will gladly pay for music if you don't punish them for it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:54 pm

I agree Forgiveness_Man. Illegal downloading became prominent after the downfall of the commercial single, when record labels would issue songs to radio, but not make them commercially available, because they wanted listeners to go out and buy the entire CD.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 am

Chris wrote:I agree Forgiveness_Man. Illegal downloading became prominent after the downfall of the commercial single, when record labels would issue songs to radio, but not make them commercially available, because they wanted listeners to go out and buy the entire CD.
    They got greedy and now have the nerve to bitch about people getting their music some other way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:10 am