CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Nhaiyel
JM130ELM
Shale
Cheaps
RobbieFTW
femme fatale
Chris
11 posters

"You Know You're Black When…"

TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

"You Know You're Black When…" - Page 2 Empty Re: "You Know You're Black When…"

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am

captainbryce wrote:I think Canadians who feel "offended" by being called the 51st state are a little too sensitive and probably more "American" than they'd care to admit...

The more Canadians try single themselves out for their "national pride" the more I see them as Americans (which is kind of ironic).

I think what you've said here perfectly illustrates why America has such a bad image overseas - the arrogance and sense of superiority in your post is what gives Americans that bad image. If you see us as Americans, maybe you should just correct your COs when they tell you to masquerade as Canadians in certain situations - tell them that there's no need to claim to be Canadian, because Canadians are just Americans. We're clearly not going to agree and I have no interest in seeing my country attacked at the expense of pumping up American. I'll be back out of this now, but than k you for reminding me why I'm glad to be Canadian and to live where I do, not south of the border.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:
    captainbryce wrote:I think Canadians who feel "offended" by being called the 51st state are a little too sensitive and probably more "American" than they'd care to admit...

The more Canadians try single themselves out for their "national pride" the more I see them as Americans (which is kind of ironic).

I think what you've said here perfectly illustrates why America has such a bad image overseas - the arrogance and sense of superiority in your post is what gives Americans that bad image.
    Funnily enough, I actually agree with you. Yet, I also think that what you call "arrogance" happens to be the result of matters of truth. Truths that are very difficult to dispute (which is why it is usually just dismissed as simply arrogance out of frustration). There is a reason why Americans are arrogant! The reason is because that arrogance is very rarely ever actually challenged in matters of fact. America IS in fact a greater country than Canada in all of the ways I just mentioned (unless you can prove otherwise). Americans know this (which makes them prideful and arrogant) and Canadians also know this, which makes them resentful of Americans and even more resentful of their arrogance. Greatness exudes pride and uncontained pride translates to arrogance. America does have a bad image, which is why I try not to be a very arrogant person.

I'm fully aware that my previous post came off as arrogant (as it was intended to), but I generally don't hold up America that high in general conversation because I'm not an overly patriotic person. I don't see America as being "superior" to Canada, nor did I attack your country. You took it that way based on what I said, but you also missed the point of what I said. I am as patriotic as I need to be to do the job that I do, but no more. The fact is I personally don't believe that America is any "better" than any other country. And I also believe that the "greater" a nation is, the more failures it has! You recognized my post as an "attack" on Canada and failed to recognize it as an "attack" on America (which demonstrates exactly how "nationalistic" you really are). Yet, many Americans on here (and I can think of one in particular who shall remain nameless) would have been just as quick to recognize my rant as an "attack" against America and ignore anything positive I said about it. Internationally, people like him are commonly viewed as being "arrogant Americans" while people like you are generally viewed as merely "a patriotic person" (even though you both behaved the same hypothetically).

People outside the US resent America for it's prideful, overly patriotic and "arrogant" perspective. They also LOVE Americans, love to come to America, love discussing America and love involving themselves with all things "American" for exactly the same reasons that make Americans "arrogant" (which is another irony). America is "popular" and for that reason alone it is "arrogant", "hated" and "loved" all at the same time!

TSJFan4Ever wrote:If you see us as Americans, maybe you should just correct your COs when they tell you to masquerade as Canadians in certain situations - tell them that there's no need to claim to be Canadian, because Canadians are just Americans. We're clearly not going to agree and I have no interest in seeing my country attacked at the expense of pumping up American. I'll be back out of this now, but than k you for reminding me why I'm glad to be Canadian and to live where I do, not south of the border.
    On the contrary. I don't see Canadians as Americans because I don't recognize the importance of national pride. I think that people are people and whether you come from Canada or the US is irrelevant. By saying that Canada is the 51st state, I am basically saying that I think that most foreigners are quick to mistake Canadians for Americans and NOT necessarily the other way around (which speaks to itself). Canada evokes no emotion from people that hate freedom and democracy because Canada is seen as "less significant". America evokes the emotion of hatred by people who hate freedom and democracy because it is seen as "more significant" in the ways that matter to them. That is the reason for the "masquerade".

I think you've misunderstood the intent of what I was trying to convey (which is kind of what I was anticipating in the first place). The one thing I hate about Americans is how arrogant they are due to the national pride they have. Americans are quick to recognize the positive attributes of the US and slow to acknowledge the failures. MOST Canadians don't hold up Canada as high as Americans hold up America! The point I am making is that the more you want to accentuate how "Canadian" you are, the more "American" you look. There is no rationale for wanting to be "Canadian" just for the sake of being "Canadian" and by doing so you make yourself appear as arrogant as the typical American!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:41 am

captainbryce wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:
    He sure can identify himself as African-American because that's exactly what he is! LOL, that example of yours just shows how much you (and everybody else) totally and ignorantly forgets the fact that Africa is a continent. Not a damn country. It has many countries and Africa is so vast that it shouldn't just be associated with black people. Don't even try and dispute that.
    I'm not disputing that. I don't think Africa being a continent (which I am fully aware of thank you) is relevant to the discussion. Asia is ALSO a continent but that's completely besides the point. The term "African American" in the US is commonly associated with black people born, raised in or residing in the United States. A South African immigrant may come here and call himself an African American if he/she wants to and that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it is incorrect for a black American to also call themselves African American if they choose to.

Nystyle709 wrote:LOL. Ya know, if you planned on using a 'reputable' source to back up your claim, then I'd strongly suggest you stay away from Wikipedia.
    There is so much WRONG with what you just said I don't even know where to begin! First of all, wikipedia itself is NOT the source that I am referencing, so whether you consider wikipedia "reputable" or not doesn't really matter. The fact is, the definition of "African American" posted on wikipedia has a source that backs it up from the US CENSUS BUREAU (which is why I posted that link). Wikipedia is actually one of the BEST reference tools because it actually sites other sources that are easily verifiable and because it's also easy to tell when a source is not cited.

Nystyle709 wrote:Hmmm, let's see. Both definitions clearly describes a person who voluntarily leaves their country to come to another, for whatever reason. It is a fact that did not volunteer to come here, it is a fact that we are not indigenous here. Yeah, the fact that we didn't voluntarily come here is extremely relevant. Makes all the difference. Since by that definition, we are not immigrants, then it's a fact that we are not from Africa.
    We are not debating the definition of IMMIGRANT. That was never in dispute! I know what an immigrant is, I simply contend that whether or not a person is an "immigrant" or not is irrelevant with respect to the term African American. YOU are the one trying to make one thing relate to the other. I never said that African Americans were immigrants. I in fact said quote: One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American".. YOU are the one who is saying that a person has to be an immigrant to be considered an African American and I am saying that you are wrong. African American is a term that means different things to different people, but MOST people in the US don't consider it to be "immigrants" from the CONTINENT of Africa. And as a matter of coincedence, neither does the US Census! So you may intepret the term however you please, but you cannot say that it is WRONG to refer to a black American as an African American just because they are NOT an immigrant. And like I said before, a 4th generation Chinese person is NOT an immigrant either, but they may still refer to themselves as ASIAN AMERICAN (associating themselves with the continent of Asia) or CHINESE AMERICAN (associating themselves with the country of China). Whether a person is an immigrant from a certain country or continent has no bearing on how that person views their cultural significance as it relates to that region. Black Americans who view themselves has having a connection to Africa due to their ethnicity and culture refer to themselves as African American. Who are you to say that they are WRONG?

"You Know You're Black When…" - Page 2 225780 . Listen man, if you............you know what? Nevermind.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:49 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    captainbryce wrote:
    I'm not disputing that. I don't think Africa being a continent (which I am fully aware of thank you) is relevant to the discussion. Asia is ALSO a continent but that's completely besides the point. The term "African American" in the US is commonly associated with black people born, raised in or residing in the United States. A South African immigrant may come here and call himself an African American if he/she wants to and that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it is incorrect for a black American to also call themselves African American if they choose to.

There is so much WRONG with what you just said I don't even know where to begin! First of all, wikipedia itself is NOT the source that I am referencing, so whether you consider wikipedia "reputable" or not doesn't really matter. The fact is, the definition of "African American" posted on wikipedia has a source that backs it up from the US CENSUS BUREAU (which is why I posted that link). Wikipedia is actually one of the BEST reference tools because it actually sites other sources that are easily verifiable and because it's also easy to tell when a source is not cited.

We are not debating the definition of IMMIGRANT. That was never in dispute! I know what an immigrant is, I simply contend that whether or not a person is an "immigrant" or not is irrelevant with respect to the term African American. YOU are the one trying to make one thing relate to the other. I never said that African Americans were immigrants. I in fact said quote: One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American".. YOU are the one who is saying that a person has to be an immigrant to be considered an African American and I am saying that you are wrong. African American is a term that means different things to different people, but MOST people in the US don't consider it to be "immigrants" from the CONTINENT of Africa. And as a matter of coincedence, neither does the US Census! So you may intepret the term however you please, but you cannot say that it is WRONG to refer to a black American as an African American just because they are NOT an immigrant. And like I said before, a 4th generation Chinese person is NOT an immigrant either, but they may still refer to themselves as ASIAN AMERICAN (associating themselves with the continent of Asia) or CHINESE AMERICAN (associating themselves with the country of China). Whether a person is an immigrant from a certain country or continent has no bearing on how that person views their cultural significance as it relates to that region. Black Americans who view themselves has having a connection to Africa due to their ethnicity and culture refer to themselves as African American. Who are you to say that they are WRONG?

"You Know You're Black When…" - Page 2 225780 . Listen man, if you............you know what? Nevermind.
    Exactly! big grin
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 am

Shale wrote:
    captainbryce wrote: ... Canada is basically only the 51st state anyways!
    Shocked d-oh!

TSJFan4Ever wrote:
    I guess that would explain why some Americas sew our maple leaf flag on their backpacks or jackets when travelling in Europe.

Jeez did this thread hijack go south real fast.

When Capt. made the comment, knowing there are active Canucks on this board, I thot he was doing an obvious little jab that FRIENDS do. Which is why my comment was just one of "Uh Oh, Now You've Done It!"

I never considered a Canadian would take it seriously as disrespect or insult. Guess IDK the seriousness of national pride. Fact is, IDK Canadians. They have infiltrated our American culture, especially in the Northeastern cities like Chicago and NY. They are the supposed "American" actors on popular TV shows and even Hollywood who, when you read their biography you learn are actually Canadian. (At least on the Internet you can sometimes spot them for the colourful way they spell certain words - but so do the Brits and Aussies.)

So, getting back to the "You Know Ur Black" thread, let me quote a black man who was beaten up for no reason by American Pigs - "Can't we all get along?"
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 am

captainbryce wrote: ... I am merely pointing out its common usage among the majority of black people in the US (which is a more general definition). Colloquially, "African American" refers to black people (of African descent) born/raised in the United States. Whether or not the colloquial usage is the "proper" terminology is of course a matter of debate. In principle, I agree with the first part of what you said however but disagree about the "Afro American" bit. Such an expression is pretty much a relic of 1977! One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American" anymore than one needs to be an immigrant to be considered "Asian American" or "Irish American". Most 4th generation Chinese people living in Manhattan would still identify as "Asian American".
    co-signs
    My wife was black and American. She did not go for the designation "African American" because she was from Chicago. Makes sense. Even tho my family can be traced to France in the 18th Century, I was born in California and don't consider myself French American.

The irony is that a true "African-American" immigrant was prevented from using that designation as a descriptive, even tho it was correct for the blond, blue eyed Afrikaaner who moved here from South Africa. blank stare @ you
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Shale wrote:
    captainbryce wrote: ... I am merely pointing out its common usage among the majority of black people in the US (which is a more general definition). Colloquially, "African American" refers to black people (of African descent) born/raised in the United States. Whether or not the colloquial usage is the "proper" terminology is of course a matter of debate. In principle, I agree with the first part of what you said however but disagree about the "Afro American" bit. Such an expression is pretty much a relic of 1977! One need not be an immigrant to be considered "African American" anymore than one needs to be an immigrant to be considered "Asian American" or "Irish American". Most 4th generation Chinese people living in Manhattan would still identify as "Asian American".
    co-signs
    My wife was black and American. She did not go for the designation "African American" because she was from Chicago. Makes sense. Even tho my family can be traced to France in the 18th Century, I was born in California and don't consider myself French American.

The irony is that a true "African-American" immigrant was prevented from using that designation as a descriptive, even tho it was correct for the blond, blue eyed Afrikaaner who moved here from South Africa. blank stare @ you
    I agree. I personally don't use the term African American for myself or any of the black people I know (unless they specifically say they would prefer to be called that). And to be honest I don't know any black people who use the term "African American" or "Afro American" anymore. I feel that both of those terms are incorrect and/or archaic. We are just black for the most part. But the point I was making is that when the term IS used, it is generally referring to black people from the US, not African immigrants who live in the US now. The "correctness" of the term is always debatable, but its common usage is not. In the US, THAT is what the term means (whether an individual agrees with it or not)!
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Shale wrote:
    Shale wrote: Shocked d-oh!

TSJFan4Ever wrote:
    I guess that would explain why some Americas sew our maple leaf flag on their backpacks or jackets when travelling in Europe.

Jeez did this thread hijack go south real fast.

When Capt. made the comment, knowing there are active Canucks on this board, I thot he was doing an obvious little jab that FRIENDS do. Which is why my comment was just one of "Uh Oh, Now You've Done It!"

I never considered a Canadian would take it seriously as disrespect or insult. Guess IDK the seriousness of national pride. Fact is, IDK Canadians. They have infiltrated our American culture, especially in the Northeastern cities like Chicago and NY. They are the supposed "American" actors on popular TV shows and even Hollywood who, when you read their biography you learn are actually Canadian. (At least on the Internet you can sometimes spot them for the colourful way they spell certain words - but so do the Brits and Aussies.)

So, getting back to the "You Know Ur Black" thread, let me quote a black man who was beaten up for no reason by American Pigs - "Can't we all get along?"
    Hey, that's my job sometimes (to stir up the pot), lol. But in all seriousness, I love Canada and I love Canadians. Whenever I say Canada "the 51st State" I mean no offense by it. That's not a diss and it's not meant to suggest that Canada has NO seperate identity. It means that Canada is right next to the US and that Canadians are just like Americans in most ways. But if a Canadian is going to let their sense of national pride take offense to that statement (which I think is silly), then they start to remind me of Texans (with their state pride). I don't like state pride and I also don't like "nationalism" or "national pride", especially when it becomes a roadblock to "common ground". People should be recognizing their similarities moreso than their differences and the more people want to isolate themselves and declare "pride" in their nation, the more of a roadblock they become! Declairing your state pride or national pride creates more enemies than it does friends. You just increased your comraderie with a few in order to alienate many. When that happens, I tend to make it my mission to ensure that the "national pride" aspect gets put in its place!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:55 am