CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RedBedroom
CeCe
Kral
GrayWolf
RobbieFTW
9 posters

Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ Empty Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 pm

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20101221/NEWS/101221074/1017/NEWS04/Tyler+Clementi+s+parents+file+notice+of+intent+to+sue+Rutgers

NEW BRUNSWICK — The parents of Tyler Clementi have notified Rutgers University that they intend to sue over his suicide in September immediately after an alleged webcam broadcast of his intimate encounter with another man.

An attorney for Joseph and Jane Clementi of Ridgewood and Clementi's estate sent the university a notice of tort claim Friday.

The notice, filed by Westmont attorney Stephen DeFeo, contends the university failed to protect Clementi against “unlawful or otherwise improper acts perpetrated against” the Rutgers freshman.

“It appears Rutgers University failed to act, failed to put in place and/or failed to implement, and enforce policies and practices that would have prevented or deterred such acts, and that Rutgers failed to act timely and appropriately,” the notice reads.

It lists the damages as Clementi's pain and suffering and the parents' loss of companionship and support and their financial costs. The notice does not list a dollar amount claimed for those damages.

A notice of tort claim must be filed within 90 days of an event to preserve a right to sue. A claimant must wait six months to file suit.

E.J. Miranda, spokesman for Rutgers, said the university sympathizes with the family but bears no responsibility for Clementi's death.

“We at the university share the family's sense of loss of their son, who was a member of our community,” Miranda said. “We also recognize that a grieving family may question whether someone or some institution could somehow have responsibility for their son's death. While the university understands this reaction, the university is not responsible for Tyler Clementi's suicide.”

DeFeo's office said he was unavailable to take a call from a reporter.

DeFeo also filed a breach of contract claim, contending that Rutgers broke its agreement with Clementi by not preventing what happened to him.

Miranda said that claim was filed under the New Jersey Contractual Liability Act and that the statute is “not applicable to the university.”
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ Empty Re: Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ

Post by GrayWolf Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Don't see how the university was liable if they weren't the one's who taped him.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ Empty Re: Tyler Clementi's Parents Sue Rutgers Univ

Post by Kral Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:48 pm

GrayWolf wrote:Don't see how the university was liable if they weren't the one's who taped him.

From what I understand, the boy went to the admin office to report that his roommate was violating his privacy but they did nothing to help.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Kral wrote:
    GrayWolf wrote:Don't see how the university was liable if they weren't the one's who taped him.

From what I understand, the boy went to the admin office to report that his roommate was violating his privacy but they did nothing to help.

That's my understanding as well.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Kral wrote:

Glad you posted that. I did not know he went to them for help.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:09 am

RedBedroom wrote:
    Kral wrote:

Glad you posted that. I did not know he went to them for help.

Neither did I. If that's the case, hell yeah sue them, kick them where it hurts.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Kral wrote:

Exactly what did or didn't they do? How was the situation presented? How many times did he tell them? How do we know if it's documented that they were told numerous times about the roommate or only once? How do we know they weren't in the process of doing something? It's not easy to just switch roommates for students just like that. Esp when you have full dorms and other students are already acclimated to their roommates. I think this lawsuit is still stupid. I feel for the family, but it's not Rutgers fault that he obviously wasn't raised with enough self worth and was mentally fucked up enough to not be able to withstand embarassment. Gonna kill yourself because you were mortified? Rutgers couldn't help that. If he wouldn't have gotten outed by his roommate, he would've gotten outed by someone else. The parents need to sue the boy and HIS family for what they did. Rutgers had nothing to do with that.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:19 pm

I support the university in this. Rutgers did not have anything to do with invading the privacy of Tyler Clementi. What exactly was the school supposed to do? The only comment I have ever heard is that he put in a request for a dorm change. Twenty-four hours is not enough for someone to get moved. The two students involved that decided to stream Tyler's encounter should be the ones held to the fire. How did the school participate exactly? Does every school have FULL control over it's students? Is the school administration in every room monitoring what each student is doing – no, they're not. When does personal responsibility come into play? The students that took it upon themselves to activate Tyler's web-cam and invade his privacy are the real culprits here. Target them.

It is tragic that he took his life, and I really sympathize with his parents loss, but to start blanketing lawsuits in lieu of their son's suicide just makes them look like they're out for a payday and a public scapegoat. In the end, to be realistic…it was Tyler who decided to take his own life. If each one of us leaped to our death over life's more serious challenges, there would be no one left on earth. Life is tough sometimes, we get that. But don't go after a school that clearly could not have prevented this horrific act. I have always felt there is more to this story than is being reported. Something just seems off kilter. Rutgers was not at all culpable for the events leading to his suicide.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:11 pm

The university isn't at all liable in his death. They didn't even have time to react to his going to the RA for a change of roommate. He killed himself the very next day. I have to wonder if these same suing parents ever impressed it upon him that they had unconditional love and acceptance where he was concerned. Statistically speaking GLBT teenage suicides occur largely in part because the families weren't supportive.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:24 pm