CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
Alan Smithee
Kral
AtownPeep
tmontyb
Tony Marino
CeCe
Supernova
GrayWolf
Nystyle709
Chris
14 posters

Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? Empty Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll?

Post by Chris Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:44 am

Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? 2005_elvis_logo

In your opinion, is/was Elvis the "King"?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? Empty Re: Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:08 am

No. I never got into Elvis. To me, he's another white boy who took black music to the mainstream and got all the accolades for it. The Beatles did it. Bee Gees did it. Bob Dylan did it. Eric Clapton did it. Shit, who else? I'd be here all night naming 'em.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? Empty Re: Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll?

Post by GrayWolf Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 am

Yeah Elvis is pretty (as they said his his era) "boss". 60 years later and you got people still imitating him. I would call him "the king" of heritage rock.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:13 am

No, he is not the king, he is a clown, the fat royal court jester with big hair and laughably bad white sequin jumpsuits.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:10 am

The overweight Elvis with sequined jumpsuits & karate moves came much later. At the beginning of his career he made a phenomenal impact. What needs to be remembered is before Elvis, there was Pat Boone. That was a little like comparing whiskey to milk. For things to progress someone has to step forward & open a door. Elvis did that. Music that already existed was made mainstream. There were people who thought he was the devil & would lead to the downfall of society. But it was his success that opened a door. So he deserves credit for that. When he went into the military the Beatles showed up & so on & so on...but it was Elvis who set things in motion.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 pm

CeCe wrote:The overweight Elvis with sequined jumpsuits & karate moves came much later. At the beginning of his career he made a phenomenal impact. What needs to be remembered is before Elvis, there was Pat Boone. That was a little like comparing whiskey to milk. For things to progress someone has to step forward & open a door. Elvis did that. Music that already existed was made mainstream. There were people who thought he was the devil & would lead to the downfall of society. But it was his success that opened a door. So he deserves credit for that. When he went into the military the Beatles showed up & so on & so on...but it was Elvis who set things in motion.

co-signs
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Sounds to me you are describing the Elvis just before his death. You need to go back further to the 50's and 60's.
    Great Singer he was and I would agree he is the King of Rock and Roll.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Sounds to me you are describing the Elvis just before his death. You need to go back further to the 50's and 60's.

Don't let Little Richard hear you say that. lol
    Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? K4b8xwsk2vaekeb2
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Chris wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Sounds to me you are describing the Elvis just before his death. You need to go back further to the 50's and 60's.

Don't let Little Richard hear you say that. lol
    Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? K4b8xwsk2vaekeb2

co-signs

AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:54 am

I can respect his iconic-ness but I can't say I'm a fan. I personally like the Beatles more. I guess he opened the doors to make edgier performers and music more acceptable, but it's not lost on me that there were a number of others during Elvis's time and before who were doing the same things as him and sometimes better, but never got the credit.

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:49 am

AtownPeep wrote:I can respect his iconic-ness but I can't say I'm a fan. I personally like the Beatles more. I guess he opened the doors to make edgier performers and music more acceptable, but it's not lost on me that there were a number of others during Elvis's time and before who were doing the same things as him and sometimes better, but never got the credit.

Couldn't that be said about every icon? No matter how good an act is, there were others out at the same time who were as good/better or even more cutting edge. Sometimes it just takes the right kind of star power and plain 'ol luck to be the one who shines the brightest. Elvis is definitely the "King" of his era IMO and it was so noteworthy that it continued to shine over all the eras past his own. I think "King of Rock & Roll" is a fitting title.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:34 am

kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

Post by kinetic Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:16 am

"A" pioneer? OK.
    King? NO WAY.

If you want to witness Elvis in today's corporate musical hayride, watch a Britney Spears concert, she's the reincarnation of Elvis. Unoriginal, a stage whore who sells his/her image for the popular suburban teenage masses. There are dozens of artists whom Elvis ripped off, Muddy Waters, Wynonnie Harris, Chuck Berry, and they could all be considered the true Kings of rock and roll. They wrote their songs, played them and had performing prowess. Elvis was a product of the corporate music industry, and hey they obviously did an amazing job, but as i clearly point out, like the Britney Spears' of today's music industry, he's a product, that is all. He didn't write, he didn't play or do anything that creative. Pay some respect to the true blues artists who helped shape rock and roll as we know it today.

Signed,
    A 20 y/o White Boy From Canada.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:00 am

I hate to say this because personally I do think that Elvis is overrated, and there were definitely more talented rock pioneers...but...Elvis is the King of Rock n Roll for the same reasons Michael Jackson is the King of Pop. Neither man invented their respective genres (or was 100% original) but they each definitely ruled them to such a degree that they cast a insurmountable shadow over music and pop culture that existed while they were alive and continues to in death.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:33 pm

He had a few hit songs, and he did a lot of corny musicals, and he was only the big deal and outrage he was because they were able to market a white guy doing the music of the black artists of the time. None of that says King in my book; a title like that belongs to somebody like Freddie Mercury or David Bowie or maybe not even a title that can be held by one person but a whole group like the Rolling Stones.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Supernova wrote:

He had a few hit songs, and he did a lot of corny musicals, and he was only the big deal and outrage he was because they were able to market a white guy doing the music of the black artists of the time. None of that says King in my book; a title like that belongs to somebody like Freddie Mercury or David Bowie or maybe not even a title that can be held by one person but a whole group like the Rolling Stones.

First I have to say I was never an Elvis fan but the facts speak for themselves, a few hit songs?????? The man had so many gold and platinum records and albums I wonder where he fit them all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley_discography

I fail to see how they were marketing a white boy doing songs of black artists? Most of his songs were written by white composers and Elvis himself, how was he singing the songs of black artists, can you give examples?? Elvis had his own style, he was a white boy that was a bad boy but yet the people loved him. Some of the greatest black artists came from the Rock and Roll era, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Sam Cook, Little Richard, Frankie Lymon, James Brown, Clyde Mcphatter. I fail to see how Elvis imitated any of their style when they all had a unique style of their own.

Mercury and Bowie kings of Rock and Roll? They were not even around during the Rock and Roll era, completely different generation of music and I surely don't think either one of them would deserve to be King of anything.

Rolling Stones were of a different age as well, they came from the British invasion and the Rock and Roll era was pretty much already over by then.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:23 pm

THIS is a white boy doing the song of a black artist. Think I'll just stick with Fats Domino on that one.

Huge contrast to this

Everything has to be kept in perspective & context. Those days were very different. It's actually surprising that Elvis was able to pull it off. There were attempts to ban & some censoring took place but eventually the audience spoke. Certainly their dollars got the point across. We can't really use the standards of today to judge the past. What Elvis did was phenomenal. From his stage performance to his record sales to continuing to sell all these years later.

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:28 pm

CeCe wrote:THIS is a white boy doing the song of a black artist. Think I'll just stick with Fats Domino on that one.

Huge contrast to this

Everything has to be kept in perspective & context. Those days were very different. It's actually surprising that Elvis was able to pull it off. There were attempts to ban & some censoring took place but eventually the audience spoke. Certainly their dollars got the point across. We can't really use the standards of today to judge the past. What Elvis did was phenomenal. From his stage performance to his record sales to continuing to sell all these years later.

co-signs
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:28 pm

He may not have been the first to do what he did and there may have been others who did it as well, but no one has had his kind of cultural impact. Not even the Beatles.

Elvis is the King.

Elvis Presley, known throughout the world by his first name, is widely regarded as one of the most influential figures of 20th century music and popular culture, and his status as a cultural icon appears ever stronger as time goes by. It is estimated that Elvis Presley has sold more than one billion records worldwide. His extraordinary talents produced achievements that remain unparalleled in American and world history. The international superstar was an accomplished and influential artist in several genres of music – rock, pop, country, R&B and gospel – and he triumphed on television, the concert stage and the silver screen. Elvis has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Music Hall of Fame and the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame – the only artist with the distinction of being honored by all three.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:20 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    Supernova wrote:

First I have to say I was never an Elvis fan but the facts speak for themselves, a few hit songs?????? The man had so many gold and platinum records and albums I wonder where he fit them all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley_discography

I fail to see how they were marketing a white boy doing songs of black artists? Most of his songs were written by white composers and Elvis himself, how was he singing the songs of black artists, can you give examples?? Elvis had his own style, he was a white boy that was a bad boy but yet the people loved him. Some of the greatest black artists came from the Rock and Roll era, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Sam Cook, Little Richard, Frankie Lymon, James Brown, Clyde Mcphatter. I fail to see how Elvis imitated any of their style when they all had a unique style of their own.

I didn't say he did songs from black artists. I said he did black music. Doesn't matter if he or whoever wrote his songs. His songs, style, 'soulfulness' is a straight rip from other black artists who were before his time. He himself said he was heavily influenced by it. There is nothing unique about it. He didn't even perfect it. Hell, Ike Turner is the one who should get more credit for being the king Rock N Roll than Elvis because he is one of its creators. Elvis gets the recognition because of his skin color. He was popular because of his skin color. Had black artists been able to be accept into the mainstream as he was, I doubt Elvis would be as big as he is now.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 am

Elvis was originally labeled the King of Rock N' Roll because he was and still is the most successful and renowned Rock N' Roll artist of all time. Go anywhere on the planet, and they know Elvis's name and title of "King". But Elvis in the 50's represented more than just a genre of music. Some people look at his body of work and conclude that it couldn't have happened to a more talented man, I think the Elvis phenomenon couldn't have happened to a less talented man either. It wasn't just the music or the time. It was the man. Elvis really embodied expression in the restrained society of the 50's that began the modern day of music and ultimately lead to the sexual revolution. Young people were yearning for something fresh and exciting and they found that in Elvis. Yes they also found it in Little Richard and Chuck Berry, but unfortunately the times restricted their exposure, acceptance, and success. Not Elvis's fault.

There's not one single legend or icon who was totally original, didn't have influences or in some way "borrow" or incorporate something from someone else. Unlike Little Richard, Elvis didn't make a habit of claiming that he was the "originator" of anything and never took credit for something that wasn't his. He always gave credit to his black peers, and many of them acknowledge that. I once read a biography of Michael Jackson that recalled his taking in one of Elvis' Vegas performances in the mid 70s, and when they met his backstage, Elvis was quick to acknowledge to him that it was black artists that in part shaped what he did. But the fact remains that his own charm and charisma catapulted him to mega stardom. Although it may seem like he just got rich off the blood of black creativity back then, the fact of the matter is that Elvis wasn't just rock/blues. He was also Pop. He was also Country. He was also Vegas/Showtunes. He was a melting pot of various genres and THAT's what made him stand out from acts like Bill Haley, Ricky Nelson, Pat Boone, Paul Anka, Bobby Vee, Frankie Valli, who also jumped the Rock/Pop bandwagon during the same period, but fell way short of having his impact.

Through no fault of Elvis's was 1950s society was so racially biased and segregated that it resulted in black musicians not getting their fair due. Although it may seem like little consolation, the success of Elvis helped catapult some of the black inspired music he did into the mainstream. From there, black rock artists were able to get featured on TV and played on top 40 radio easier than they could before Elvis came around. Jimi Hendrix, one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time was inspired by what? An Elvis concert he saw as a kid. But instead of appreciating his helping to break rock music through the iron gate, some spectators would rather sit in resentment of it and pretend that it was only his skin color that made it possible. False. Again, Elvis had equally Caucasian peers and competitors who couldn't achieve what he did.

People discount Elvis for one reason: because he was so successful. Funny how acts like Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Holly (both great and talented rock icons as well) can be equally charged with being unoriginal despite their obvious talent, but aren't slighted for their success because it didn't loom as large. If people think Elvis is overrated or don't get his appeal, fine. Opinion. But I just don't get the embittered skepticism people like to throw at his legacy, as if he "stole" something (he didn't) or didn't have immense talent of his own (he did.)
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:04 am

No one said Elvis created Rock & Roll but he was the one person that represented it most. If you asked anyone to name the most popular Rock & Roll star ever, most would say Elvis Presley. King of Rock N Roll was just a title generally attributed to Elvis in recognition of that fact. Was it fair that his color gave him privilege? No! But the time was what it was. Pointless to use him as a scapegoat to mad at the inequality of the day. He could have gone the Frank Sinatra or Hank Williams route and done big band or honky tonk and the Rock & Roll era may have never gone mainstream. He helped kick the door open, give him some credit. Whether someone like Elvis's music or not, his impact on the world of music and pop culture cannot be denied. Remember this, Elvis has been dead over thirty years and he's as still as popular as ever. Love him or hate him, his legacy lives on and will for generations to come and Elvis will always be remembered as THE KING OF ROCK & ROLL.

This is one of the greatest performances of all time!

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:51 pm

LOL, I knew it. I was waiting for it. That tired excuse that because he sold more records than anyone and was immensely popular, that it's the reason he should be the "King" of Rock N Roll. Ya know, maybe if Elvis was the one who actually cultivated the style of rock n roll, maybe added to it or hell....even took something away from and made it truly his own, you'd have a point. Nothing he did was freaking unique. Everything he did was a a straight goddamn rip from somewhere else. So what if he did other music styles, we ain't talking about no damn showroom tunes. Yes, every icon you know has been influenced by somebody else....Michael Jackson was heavily influenced by James Brown and Jackie Wilson and you could see it, but even he was able to come up with his own damn step. Immensely talented? Didn't write a song, didn't play an instrument. He had a few moves, a nice voice, nice hair and he looked good. Okay. Elvis came off the assembly line. He took something that already existed and brought it to the forefront. Fact. A pioneer of rock n roll, I'll give you that. And quite frankly, since I don't put much stock into titles anyway because King of Rock N Roll, Pop, whatever.......is what it is, but how you gonna be the king of something when you didn't add anything? If you're going to be the king of rock n roll, at least have creatively added to the damn music. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a Bob Marley stan. Do I think he's the King of Reggae simply because he was the one who made it popular? Absolutely not. A king of reggae, yes. The king of reggae, no. And then look at the way the "king" of rock n roll went out. A sick twist of irony maybe? LOL, perhaps not.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Even Johnny Cash had an opinion on Elvis...
    Is Elvis 'the King' of Rock 'N Roll? Jcash-1

:biggrin:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 am