CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Chris
10 posters

If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding? Empty If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding?

Post by Chris Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:14 am

If your son or daughter was marrying someone who you knew was no good (and was sure would be the downfall of your child), would you still attend the wedding, or sit it out to make a point?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding? Empty Re: If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:29 am

It'd be tough, but I'd prob. go. I wanna see my baby get married. Besides, he/she will be an adult and they'd have to learn from their mistakes. And I live to say "I told you so". Smile
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding? Empty Re: If you staunchly disapproved of your child's fiancee, would you attend their wedding?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 am

That's a very tough call. I like to think that we raised her better than to get involved with a scumbag but love is blind. Even if he was a scumbag, I don't think that would be enough of a reason for me to cut my daughter out of my life because that is what I would be doing by not going to her wedding. No, I'd probably stick around and be the biggest pain in the ass father-in-law the world has ever seen. I sure as shit wouldn't pay for that wedding though!!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah I'd go. There would always be hope they'd get smart and run out at the last minute.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 am

I don't know if I could go if I disapproved THAT strongly. It'd have to go beyond personality issues, way beyond it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Chris wrote:If your child was marrying someone who you knew was no good (and was sure would be the downfall of your child), would you still attend the wedding, or sit it out to make a point?

Considering that this not subjective and based on prejudice - how do you know this person is "no good and will be the downfall of your child?" Is there a criminal record or any facts to support this knowledge and why would your child not heed such irrefutable evidence.

If there is evidence of the no goodness, then it is the adult child's informed bad decision. Depending on how forcefully I argued the point, I might not be invited to the wedding, but if the invite stood, I guess I would go and make the best of it. Ultimately ppl have the right to make the wrong choices and live with the consequences - what can you do.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm

I guess it all depends on just how much of a scumbag their fiancee was, but I'm inclined to say that I would go despite my grievances. A parent boycotting their child's wedding is basically burning their bridges with them. Their child will cling to their spouse over them and even if their marriage is a failure and ends in divorce, they will probably continue to resent the parent for not supporting them regardless.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 am

I would go but I certainly wouldn't be smiling in any of the pictures.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 pm

I would go just to show solidarity with my child, and also so that they couldn't hold it against me (and their spouse, who I apparently dislike, couldn't use it as amo to poison their mind where I was concerned) for not showing up. I probably wouldn't stick around for the reception.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:43 pm

I would go. As Nhaiyel said, I would want to show solidarity with my child. I may not like it, but there are some things that can not be undone. Not attending a wedding is one of them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:24 pm