CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
TSJFan4Ever
RobbieFTW
Shale
Chris
8 posters

Racism in dating

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Racism in dating Empty Racism in dating

Post by Chris Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:27 am

I saw this posted at a dating site:

Ok im going to get on a soapbox for a minute because of some things that have happened to me recently so please forgive the rant.

I know some people are not comfortable with dating outside their race and as Americans, we are all entitled to our opinions, likes and dislikes. My problem is the way its communicated. I have gotten replies back form women that range form very respectful, to downright KKK propaganda. For what reason? If you arent interested in someone, why not just say that politely and move on. However to get "go back to africa", "find a date at the gorilla cages at the zoo", and "what self respecting woman would date a N@#$#@", are uncalled for.

True, everyone is here on this site for different reasons. Some to chat with friends, others to lurk harmlessly in the background, some for the forums, and yes hard to believe but some to actually date. Have we as a society become so numb to others feelings that insults can be flung so carelessly and with so much venom? Have we forgotten that a young lady killed herself over comments made on a myspace page? Im not saying that im so depressed or upset that im thinking thoughts of suicide, but c'mon people, words hurt regardless of age or social status.

I can tell you from personal experience I do my best not to discriminate against anyone based on anything because I am a black male in this society. I just would think after the American people made such a huge statement in the elections, attitudes would have been a tad bit more receptive. Yes we have come a long way, but after whats happened here and on a few other sites to me in the last week or so, I see we as a country, still have a long way to go.

Ok I will step off the soapbox. If my comments have offended anyone I do apologize. That was not my intent. However, if Ive made at least one person stop and think, thats all I wanted. Thanks for letting me rant.

I used to work at a bookstore in college, and there was this 'Swingers' magazine that the store carried. Basically a magazine where couples placed personal ads, looking for third parties to join them in bed. One of my co-workers picked it up and looked through it, and said something like "Damn, there's a bunch of racist comments in these ads." I looked for myself, and a number of them said 'No Blacks' or 'No Asians.' I didn't know whether to shrug my shoulders and blindly dismiss it as 'preference,' or to not try and stifle how annoyed I was reading it. Everyone has their tastes and preferences, and what have you, but I think tact is always good. Sometimes you don't say certain things to, or in the vicinity of, certain people.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Racism in dating Empty Re: Racism in dating

Post by Shale Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Something as personal as lining up a potential partner should get a pass on racism - even tho it might be considered that. Like mentioned, chalk it up to preference.

My stepdaughter never went with white guys and never considered one as a partner, even tho (or especially tho) her mother paired with me. However, some of her first cousins have gone interracial. One male nephew who lived with us for a while is now with a white woman and one neice went thru several younger white boys.

It is the same as some ppl only like thin partners while others like only fat ones. Personal preference.

IDK how you would handle this tactfully on a dating site. I know no one wants to waste time on a lost cause, but think it would be interesting if everyone were open enuf to try someone different.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 am

I HATE racist people. Boils my blood. I think everyone is entitled to date whatever their type is and to shun whoever isn't, but no one should be enough of an asshole to say WHY they're rejecting them. A simple "not interested, thanks" works.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Wow - I can't believe people would be like that. Just say "no thanks - I'm not interest" - why all the racial remarks? Sickening! Hard to believe that still happens today, though I know it does. Just doesn't make much sense. Just say no, without resorting to racist remarks.

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 pm

That is pretty ridiculous that people were posting that on a dating site to this guy's messages. But, any message board that is huge (like IMDb) people are going to come across that. I am not saying it is right, just that the bigger the population of posters, the more horrid hate that is spewed by people who are hateful.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:20 am

Yeah - true - there are bigots and racists everywhere. I've seen some pretty nasty things myself - not always racially directed but telling other posters they deserve to be raped? That's pretty sickening, and the mods doing nothing about it, so yeah - I shouldn't be surprised.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 am

It sounds like the people on the dating site were just racist and crude all around. That's horrible!

The thing in the personal ads, I don't know how to feel about that. I'm sure there were ads that said things like "blonde, fit, petite, no body hair" too, and maybe in that situation race is more of a description? I would never, ever have thought to say "no _____" if I were writing an ad like that, but I'm not as picky as some people I guess.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue May 03, 2011 5:32 am

My thing is not so much your "preference" (and I put preference in quotations for a reason), but more than how you present it. Everyone in some way or another has a "type", and no one expects you to date or fuck who you ain't attracted to....however, it's both arrogant and ignorant to make a pronouncement about how you're NOT interested in certain "types", especially if they're inherent. Some things should be kept to oneself.

Take for instance, if you're not interested people who're overweight or short, you don't say "I'm not interested in fat people" or "I'm not interested in short people". That's condescending and rude. If you're approached by someone who is short or fat, then politely decline the same way you would if you were approached by someone who wasn't short or fat, but for whatever reason you still weren't feeling. No need to act as if if you don't state these stipulations, hordes of these people are going to blow up your spot. Man get over yourself, not really....especially if you note the type you ARE looking for. The same applies to racial "preferences". If by chance you just happen to get approached by someone who you a racial bias against, then just say "I'm not interested," and keep your reasons why to yourself. How difficult is that?

(Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue May 03, 2011 8:15 am

The examples listed in that article are purely racist. But it is not racist, in and of itself, to not be attracted to somebody of a different background. We can't help who we're attracted to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:24 am