CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+13
Shale
RobbieFTW
Wadsworth
GrayWolf
Nystyle709
TPP
CeCe
tmontyb
CatEyes10736
Supernova
JM130ELM
Forgiveness Man
Impact
17 posters

Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven?

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven? Empty Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven?

Post by Impact Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:20 am

If you believe in an afterlife, do you think that regular church goers are more likely to get into heaven than the non regular church going populous? I'm not at all religious, but it makes me wonder. I don't suspect that a child diddling priest is going to see any pearly gates, if they exist, but I wonder about the Joe Average who goes to church v. the Joe Average who sleeps in on Sunday.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven? Empty Re: Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven?

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 am

Eh, it's a tough question. I guess I'd say yes, but more likely doesn't equal a "they're going" either.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven? Empty Re: Are Church Goers More Likely to Go to Heaven?

Post by JM130ELM Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

No. You got guys who go to church every Sunday and sleep. I would think one's spirit determines whether or not they will "inherit the kingdom of Heaven," not their dedication to a building.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 am

^^^^If they can't go to church, I highly doubt they're doing something else spiritual either. That's the weakness of that argument. Going to church doesn't promise you heaven, but using that as an excuse to sit home and watch sportsd and eat wings all day won't promise you heaven either. Razz
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 am

I'm not seeing the parallel. Is watching sports and eating wings a sin worthy enough to be rejected entrance into Heaven? One can go to church, then come home and still watch sports and eat wings. Just like one can go to church every week and still fornicate and kill, one can not go to church ever and still live an honest, genuine life, while having a spiritual rapport with the Lord.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

^^^^No, the point is that you mentioned that people who go to church might be asleep, but those who don't go to church aren't exactly doing anything more spiritual.

I dont think you can live an honest, spiritual life if you have a church available and you can't be bothered to go. If you can't devote an hour a week to Church, I think you just got "better things to do" than God. "I can worship without going to Church" just comes off to me, as an excuse. Going to Church may not buy you heaven, but if you don't go, then I don't see exactly how you expect to maintain a good relationship with the Big Guy. Razz
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 am

No. Seems anymore church is full of the people who will be the LAST ones to go there.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm

^^^^So the people staying home doing nothing will go first? Wink
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Not necessarily. There are many good people who never set foot in a church (or temple wherever they worship), and there are plenty of horrible people who go to church thinking that they'll go to Heaven because they go to church every Sunday. I think God is in a persons heart more than a chapel, and that he cares about the person you are, not where you spend your time.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:Not necessarily. There are many good people who never set foot in a church (or temple wherever they worship), and there are plenty of horrible people who go to church thinking that they'll go to Heaven because they go to church every Sunday. I think God is in a persons heart more than a chapel, and that he cares about the person you are, not where you spend your time.

Thank you. I think it's silly for anything to think that just because you don't go, you won't get to heaven.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:33 pm

When I was in high school I read of one of the first women poets who was known for her belief that people didn't have to go to church to be close to God and to worship. Can't remember her name though.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:Not necessarily. There are many good people who never set foot in a church (or temple wherever they worship), and there are plenty of horrible people who go to church thinking that they'll go to Heaven because they go to church every Sunday. I think God is in a persons heart more than a chapel, and that he cares about the person you are, not where you spend your time.

Very well said. It's just a building. It doesn't offer any guarantee. I seriously doubt God is keeping an attendance sheet. It's nothing more than a gathering of people on a regular basis. What matters is what people do all the time & not on certain days of the week at a predetermined time. There are people who do wonderful things for others, some who participate in organized religion & attend church as well as some who never go & never will. It's not four walls that make a person who they are, it's who they are inside.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't believe so. If Jesus exists, I think he would be ashamed with the way organized religion has turned out. IMO he'd be out on the streets helping people and spreading his message of love and forgiveness, not sitting in church, and since he's supposed to be a Christian's example to pattern their life after...
    I have no idea what other religions believe though.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:02 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I don't believe so. If Jesus exists, I think he would be ashamed with the way organized religion has turned out. IMO he'd be out on the streets helping people and spreading his message of love and forgiveness, not sitting in church, and since he's supposed to be a Christian's example to pattern their life after...

co-signs
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:09 pm

^^^ ty Smile
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:32 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I don't believe so. If Jesus exists, I think he would be ashamed with the way organized religion has turned out. IMO he'd be out on the streets helping people and spreading his message of love and forgiveness, not sitting in church, and since he's supposed to be a Christian's example to pattern their life after...

And how many people are doing that instead of going to church? You think Jesus would be chilling on the couch with a beer and a bowl of wings watching the giants instead of going to church?

Not all organized religion is good. But if can't commit 1 hour a week to setting aside time to just do something for God, I don't see how you expect to call your relationship with him as good.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

LOL @ the question.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm

no I don't think it has anything to do with if you go to church or not.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:

And how many people are doing that instead of going to church? You think Jesus would be chilling on the couch with a beer and a bowl of wings watching the giants instead of going to church?

Not all organized religion is good. But if can't commit 1 hour a week to setting aside time to just do something for God, I don't see how you expect to call your relationship with him as good.

I don't think that what people are doing at church is necessarily any more "spending time with God" than what anyone else might be doing, whether they are going for a walk, meditating, volunteering...I personally don't watch football but who am I to judge?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Forgiveness_Man wrote:And how many people are doing that instead of going to church? You think Jesus would be chilling on the couch with a beer and a bowl of wings watching the giants instead of going to church?

I don't think that what people are doing at church is necessarily any more "spending time with God" than what anyone else might be doing, whether they are going for a walk, meditating, volunteering...I personally don't watch football but who am I to judge?

I've never understood where people got the idea that God MUST be worshiped or people can only spend time in his presence inside a building once or twice a week. It really is just a building. If people who are religious only commit an hour a week to that then they are failing at it. Showing up on Sunday or whatever preferred day of the week isn't good enough. If people want to do something for God they should be volunteering at a mission, buying some groceries for a family that has no food, helping others in some way. I doubt God is so insecure that he requires some kind of fan club meeting for people to prove their devotion. They do that by loving & giving to others who are in need. People who need attendance certificates need them for themselves, not God. I would think he cares more about what is in the person's heart more than some dress up game a lot of people play on Sunday morning. And he can tell the difference because well..he's God.
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Going to church might not guarantee a place in heaven, but it can't hurt.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 am

Sadly some people think all one has to do is go to church and you will go to Heaven and be a spiritual person. They forget that anyone can stand inside a "place of worship", that does not mean they are getting anything from the experience.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 am

Impact wrote:... do you think that regular church goers are more likely to get into heaven than the non regular church going populous? ...
    Not the Westboro Baptist Church goers.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 am

No. If anything, church is just a reminder/reinforcement of what God's law and word (allegedly) is. I would imagine that access to Heaven ultimately depends on how a person lives their day-to-day life, and the choices they make, outside of a religiously toned environment.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:34 am

I'm just throwing this into the mix as an "outsider". It's obvious you're all discussing this from a Christian point of view. If you don't go to church aren't you breaking the 4th Commandment?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:04 pm