CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Shale
Chris
6 posters

Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect? Empty Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect?

Post by Chris Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 am

And by 'successful,' I more mean long-lasting. If a couple has been married for sixty years, they undoubtedly have a strong, spiritual bond, but on the other hand, when you spend that many years married to someone, how likely is it that at some point(s) one–or both–have acted out in a way that was so blatantly disrespectful to their spouse and the relationship that it would have been fair grounds for divorce? Were our grandparents generation stronger and more honorable for weathering things like extramarital affairs and domestic abuse in the name of the vows they took, or were they simply repressed by a more narrow-minded, divorce-phobic society that forced people to stay together, even in misery?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect? Empty Re: Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect?

Post by Shale Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:35 am

Chris wrote:...Were our grandparents generation stronger and more honorable for weathering things like extramarital affairs and domestic abuse in the name of the vows they took, or were they simply repressed by a more narrow-minded, divorce-phobic society that forced people to stay together, even in misery?
    I think it was the latter. Women did not have so many options in my grandparents day - they were still tied to their husbands. Plus the societal pressure to stay together.

Usual excuse "I stayed with that cheating bastard for the kids." Even tho we now know that the kids would have been better off in a struggling but stable single parent family.

It was WWII, when women were pressed into the workforce in great numbers and liked the independence so that many weren't content to go back to that '50s model of June Cleaver housewife. I haven't checked but the increase in divorce rates may have actually started in that so called idyllic time with the "Greatest Generation." I know my folks were divorced and many others were also, but the majority still stoically stuck out a marriage that they were unhappy with.

May be why so many of my gen and later just refused to stick with a bad pairing.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect? Empty Re: Are the most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I think it was definitely the divorce-phobic society. The stigma associated with divorce was so much different then.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:47 pm

I feel like by todays standards, yes...But I also feel like people are too 'divorce happy' today. IMO, if you decide to get married and you promise to stay together, if you are not being abused and your spouse isn't cheating, then you should find a way to work it out. If you just "aren't happy" then I think that you should exhaust every option for finding happiness before you get divorced, because getting divorced isn't a magic happiness pill. If you try your best and still aren't happy, fine, get divorced, but I don't believe that people who have been married for 2 years have done that.

I guess I'm pretty judgmental about it, but that's the standard that I hold myself to (I don't really care about anyone else's marriage, honestly). I have observed that a lot of men don't treat their wives well, and their wives in turn don't put out and it spirals out of control until no one is happy and it's all really passive aggressive.

When my husband does something that I don't like, I weigh it in my mind the same way I do with my kids..."Is this a battle I want to choose?" and if it is, we talk about it, if it's not, I let it slide. I think that my husband does the same with me. We both put a lot of importance on our marriage and are willing to make small sacrifices because of it. Am I happy with him every minute of my life? No. But when I'm not, we work on it and find a way that we can both be satisfied.

I'd do anything to save my marriage, short of tolerating disrespect or abuse (verbal abuse included). I'm not saying that my husband has never disrespected me, he has in the midst of an argument or whatever, but he always apologizes and it's really rare because we try really hard to "fight fair" and not call each other names and use "I feel" statements and all that. We've been to marriage counseling 3 times (for a few sessions each time) in our 12 years of marriage and I am sure we will go back again.

I really hate the way he washes the dishes, but at least he washes them! (that's an example of me letting something minor slide, lol) He hates the way I sweep the floor into the laundry room and I've been working on not doing it that way when he's around, even though he doesn't complain about it any more.

See, that's us. I know that other people don't have to be the same as us, but I really do believe that you don't HAVE to get married in this day and age, so WHY do it if you don't mean it?
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 am

Does seem like the more successful marriages are the one's where the couples put the interests of the corporation that is "the marriage" ahead of their own personal needs or interests. I can't figure out if this is noble or foolish.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 am

Are most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect?

I think the opposite is true. Success shouldn’t be measured by the number of years you were willing to endure being lied to and disrespected. A marriage that ends after 60 years because that “bitch” or that “bastard” finally died isn’t a success at all. It’s a failure to have been happy. Now, tolerance is a major ingredient to a successful marriage but not tolerance to lies and disrespect. And some lies are a useful tool to success. “No, honey, that dress doesn’t make your ass look fat.” “Oh thank you dear…I love the Statue of Liberty earrings did you save the receipt?”
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:20 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    Are most sucessful marriages more tolerant of lies and disrespect?

I think the opposite is true. Success shouldn’t be measured by the number of years you were willing to endure being lied to and disrespected. A marriage that ends after 60 years because that “bitch” or that “bastard” finally died isn’t a success at all. It’s a failure to have been happy. Now, tolerance is a major ingredient to a successful marriage but not tolerance to lies and disrespect. And some lies are a useful tool to success. “No, honey, that dress doesn’t make your ass look fat.” “Oh thank you dear…I love the Statue of Liberty earrings did you save the receipt?”

this is what I was trying to say but 1000 words less Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:06 am