CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
TSJFan4Ever
RedBedroom
Chris
7 posters

Erroneous claims of racism

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Erroneous claims of racism Empty Erroneous claims of racism

Post by Chris Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 am

• Have you ever been falsely accused of racism, or being a racist?

• Have you ever perceived someone to be racist, but later realized that you were wrong, and that this person actually wasn't?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Erroneous claims of racism Empty Re: Erroneous claims of racism

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:48 pm

My ex neighbor's eldest son accused me of being racist. If he truly thought that or not, I don't know. But the situation was that our truck hood got dented, and we asked them about it, and they denied it. A long while later, I found out that one of the younger boys was in fact standing on our vehicle hoods to shoot baskets. So, we raised the dented hood issue with them again. And the oldest son called me a racist bitch for accusing his brother a second time. Not even an hour later, the kid finally confessed to it. That bothered me a lot especially because the whole thing had nothing to do with race. I did not like any of the boys but that was based on the fact that all of the boys there were not properly raised and acted with disrespect constantly.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 am

Not in a real sense. I work in a middle school and one particular ethnic groups love to cry racism, which they've learned from home. Anytime you call them on something, they tell you you're being racist. It's sad, really, because these kids have no idea what racism really is. They just know how to use the term because they hear it tossed around at home and used an excuse to avoid responsibility. This is the same ethnic group that regularly assaulted my friend's son and tormented him because he was black, and the school did nothing. Other than that, no one has said I'm racist.

I've also never perceived someone to be racist and then realized I was wrong but I've had the opposite happen - someone I didn't think was racist turned out to be racist.

Last edited by TSJFan4Ever on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:00 am

In 1994, after seeing so many gay men die of AIDS and having seen how some of my black friends, when they died were quietly buried and gotten rid of by their family for being an embarrassment by being gay or shooting dope - I made a panel for the AIDS Memorial Quilt.

My panel did not have an individual name, but was a memorial to several black ppl I knew who disappeared after dying.

Erroneous claims of racism 1994_d10

This was in Gainesville Florida, a college town and was well received by everyone who understood what I was saying. In fact it was hung in a conference room at the community college last I heard.

So, six years later at work in Miami I posted a pic of this in the office and had an ignorant black woman raise hell about "Why only black ppl." It really pissed me off that the boss asked me to take the pic down. BTW, it was Dec 1, World AIDS Day and it was my personal memorial to friends that I knew.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 am

Chris wrote:

No. And I would LOVE for someone to dare try...

• Have you ever perceived someone to be racist, but later realized that you were wrong, and that this person actually wasn't?
      I have perceived many people to be racist (or possibly), and honestly most of those who I have suspected either were...or at the very least did nothing to prove my suspicion incorrect. However, I won't openly accuse someone of it unless they have qualified my conjecture by either saying or doing something unequivocally racist.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:20 am

I get falsely accused of racism online all the time, even here I think. FORGIVENESS MAN
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Chris wrote:

If you count the number of times a racist white person has accused me of "pulling the race card" out of the blue, then yes. Other than that, no.

Chris wrote:
  • Unfortunately no. Sadly, whenever I've perceived someone to be a racist, I've had those suspicions confirmed in some way or another. Trust me, I would LOVE to have been "wrong" every single time this has happened. There have been other times when I've suspected someone of being a racist (that actually was a racist), but they changed their ways to be more open minded and accepting. I've met plenty of racist people being in the military. But one thing I've found throughout the years is that being forced to work with people you otherwise may not initially be comfortable around and eventually getting to know them as "people" instead of by their "race" can very often change your perspective. There is a certain satisfaction I get when I realize I've just converted someone from being a racist into being a decent person after all! Granted it's only happened twice, but the reward of changing the minds of two people is greater than the sacrifice of encountering dozens more who never change.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:46 pm

captainbryce wrote: ...But one thing I've found throughout the years is that being forced to work with people you otherwise may not initially be comfortable around and eventually getting to know them as "people" instead of by their "race" can very often change your perspective. There is a certain satisfaction I get when I realize I've just converted someone from being a racist into being a decent person after all! Granted it's only happened twice, but the reward of changing the minds of two people is greater than the sacrifice of encountering dozens more who never change.

Not to change the subject but the same applies to gays, and I hope more military men will now have the opportunity to see that many of their stereotypes of gays were wrong. BTW, the military, police and fire depts are significant places to combat homophobia, just as they were for racism, by forcing ppl to work and live together (and depend on each other) that they would not have on their own. Not saying it always happens smoothely, but I saw it happening in the '60s and '70s and hope it has gotten better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 am