CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CatEyes10736
Alan Smithee
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
9 posters

United States VS Canada?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

United States VS Canada? Empty United States VS Canada?

Post by Marc™ Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Which country do you think is the better over....far as laws, political system, culture, citizenship and all that shit go? If you in the US would you ever wanna live in Canada....if you in Canada would ever wanna live in the US?

For me if I were to ever leave the US, Canada is the most likely place I would go. I hear its cleaner. Plus they got Univ. health care....so if I ever lose mine, I can still go to the doctor.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

United States VS Canada? Empty Re: United States VS Canada?

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:56 pm

I wouldn't ever wanna live in Canada precisely because of the Univ. Healthcare. That works well enough until you get sick. I'll stick with the US for now. Canada has no appeal to me outside of temperature.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm out of this question because I hate living in this backwater State of Florida, which is right down there with Mississippi, Alabama and all those other old bible belt states. I think Canada has a little better social consciousness, tho they still have the Puritan history to deal with just as we in the states do.

However, I live in South Florida, which is alien to the State of Florida. We have a more cosmopolitan mindset and fight against the rest of the state to not infringe on that too much - like our nude beach.

I live here primarily because, well right now it is almost up to 60 degrees F. and I am about to take a bike ride on this sunny but "cold" day, instead of freezing my ass off like everyone else in the U.S. and Canada. So you could say I am stuck here.
    big grin
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I wouldn't ever wanna live in Canada precisely because of the Univ. Healthcare. That works well enough until you get sick. I'll stick with the US for now. Canada has no appeal to me outside of temperature.

What's your issue w/ Univ health care?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Marc™️ wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:I wouldn't ever wanna live in Canada precisely because of the Univ. Healthcare. That works well enough until you get sick. I'll stick with the US for now. Canada has no appeal to me outside of temperature.

What's your issue w/ Univ health care?
    Precisely what I said; it works until you get really sick. FORGIVENESS MAN
    I'll stick in the US where we're still clinging to some freedom, barely. The only thing Canada's good for to me is their musical talent that comes down here. big grin (And that is not why they chose that name. Wink )
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Marc™ wrote:Which country do you think is the better over....far as laws, political system, culture, citizenship and all that shit go? If you in the US would you ever wanna live in Canada....if you in Canada would ever wanna live in the US?

For me if I were to ever leave the US, Canada is the most likely place I would go. I hear its cleaner. Plus they got Univ. health care....so if I ever lose mine, I can still go to the doctor.

This is nothing against Canada...I've never been there, but I can't see myself leaving the U.S. I'm not saying there could never be a reason but I fully expect to die in the U.S. That being said, if I ever did have to leave here, Canada would be the first place I'd think of going to.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:40 pm

I could see living in Northern (?) Canada, simply because their culture is close enough to the US's that it wouldn't be such a shock.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 am

Cateyes - you might not want to live in Northern Canada - there's not a lot there - lots of tundra, lots of cold, and not many people. Wink Most Canadians live in southern Canada.

I live in Canada and truly appreciate universal health care. If my family and I lived in the US, my aunt would have died a long time ago and my Dad would likely be paralyzed. Because of universal health care, I still have both of them in my life. There are countless other people in my life who would be in poorer health or not in my life at all had we all lived in the US precisely because there is no universal health care. I can go to any hospital I want and know that I will receive the care I require and it will not be based on my ability to pay. I also know that I will not be financially ruined if I have a serious health problem because of universal health care. Those speaking out against Canada's universal health care system are speaking out of ignorance over something they don't understand and have not experienced.

Also, there is far less gun violence in Canada and I appreciate that.

I would have to think long and hard about going to the US and one of the main reasons is the lack of health care in the US. I don't make a lot of money and I don't know how good my health care would be in the US, unless I had a much better job. If I did move to the US, and ever faced a serious illness, I would be coming back to Canada.

I've already shared my Dad's and my aunt's story here when a similar question came up awhile back. I think I also shared about my teacher's son and his experience with US health care, and experience that is not all that uncommon.

Last edited by TSJFan4Ever on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:39 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:

I live in Canada and truly appreciate universal health care. If my family and I lived in the US, my aunt would have died a long time ago and my Dad would likely be paralyzed. Because of universal health care, I still have both of them in my life. There are countless other people in my life who would be in poorer health or not in my life at all had we all lived in the US precisely because there is no universal health care. I can go to any hospital I want and know that I will receive the care I require and it will not be based on my ability to pay. I also know that I will not be financially ruined if I have a serious health problem because of universal health care. Those speaking out against Canada's universal health care system are speaking out of ignorance over something they don't understand and have not experienced.

As someone without health insurance I wish the US had universal health care. I don't think people are going to understand until they find themselves in the same situation. Because of a couple minor issues I have to go to the doctor about twice a year & I've run my cards into absurdity as a result. I don't even go when I'm sick unless it gets really bad. God forbid anything catastrophic happens. The health care system in this country is in need of a major overhaul. Basic care should not be financially devastating.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 am

I'm sorry to hear that, CeCe. That's something you would NEVER have to worry about in Canada. I could go once a year or 365 times and year and if I went 365 times a year, the only thing that would happen is that I'd annoy my doctor and he might recommend a psyche evaluation for hypochondria. I had to go the the ER last week and it didn't cost me anything, nor did the visit to the walk-in-clinic. I don't have to worry about regular doctors visits or those when I am sick. A small amount comes off my cheque at work because I've opted for extended health care benefits and dental, but when I was in a lower earning bracket, I didn't have to pay anything unless I wanted extended health care. My basic care was covered.

It's easy to judge the Canadian system as something bad when you HAVE good health care and don't have to worry, but when you don't... well... it's one thing Canadians pride themselves on. My brother and sister-in-law would be in serious debt right now due to complications during my niece's birth. Instead of worrying about the finances, they were able to focus on bringing her into this world and not be concerned that they'd be so far in debt they'd never pay it off. she was born 18 hours later via C-section is and now a healthy happy 1 year old.

Canada's health care system isn't perfect and there are flaws, but I know that if I need it, it is there for me and I won't be bankrupt as a result.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 am

It's kind of hard to say which is better, politically, because the social mentality of Americans and Canadians differ, which from there dictates the respective politics of each. From what I've observed, Canadian society prefers more order, more calm and a certain expectation of mutual communal respect. This mentality allows their government to be both more accommodating, yet hard nosed with their laws. American (U.S.) society likes to second guess, doesn't like to be told what to do, and has more of an 'Us v. Them' social mentality when it comes to different issues. This makes our laws go all over the place.

I could probably adjust to living in Canada, but I have no desire to leave the States.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, CeCe. That's something you would NEVER have to worry about in Canada. I could go once a year or 365 times and year and if I went 365 times a year, the only thing that would happen is that I'd annoy my doctor and he might recommend a psyche evaluation for hypochondria. I had to go the the ER last week and it didn't cost me anything, nor did the visit to the walk-in-clinic. I don't have to worry about regular doctors visits or those when I am sick. A small amount comes off my cheque at work because I've opted for extended health care benefits and dental, but when I was in a lower earning bracket, I didn't have to pay anything unless I wanted extended health care. My basic care was covered.

It's easy to judge the Canadian system as something bad when you HAVE good health care and don't have to worry, but when you don't... well... it's one thing Canadians pride themselves on. My brother and sister-in-law would be in serious debt right now due to complications during my niece's birth. Instead of worrying about the finances, they were able to focus on bringing her into this world and not be concerned that they'd be so far in debt they'd never pay it off. she was born 18 hours later via C-section is and now a healthy happy 1 year old.

Canada's health care system isn't perfect and there are flaws, but I know that if I need it, it is there for me and I won't be bankrupt as a result.

It's all about rising costs & profit & those without are becoming a growing population, I'm afraid. And no doubt more people will start understanding that it isn't a matter of being cheap or being willing to take a risk. Sometimes losing insurance turns into quicksand. You fall in & there isn't a way out. In a country that calls itself "the greatest on earth", it should not be that way. And there's certainly no excuse to look down on a country that at least provides that for its people.

Glad to hear your niece is doing so well.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 am

Hi CeCe - I guess that's a huge difference. Canada's system isn't about profits. It's about providing care. We have some privatization and you are welcome to opt for that, but it'll cost you. No one is ever denied basic care for lack of money. My family is lucky. for the most part, we are all very healthy and have not had to rely on our health care system, except for my aunt. Her experience and my Dad's, though, really brought home ow important universal health care is.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 am

I have an online friend who lives in Canada and we swap stories of what it's like to live in each place, and from what I've heard of her experiences in Canda, on one hand I think that sounds like a cool place to grow up, to raise a family in, but on another hand I don't think I WOULD want to live there but I definitely think I should go up there sometime and check it out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:55 pm