CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
tmontyb
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Nhaiyel
8 posters

HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming?

Poll

Which network is better?

[ 6 ]
    HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Bar_left86%HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Bar_right [86%] 
    [ 1 ]
    HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Bar_left14%HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Bar_right [14%] 

Total Votes: 7
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Empty HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming?

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:17 am

I've pondered on this question various times, and it struck me that it might make for an interesting topic (assuming it doesn't already exist, which I think it doesn't, but I may be wrong.) So, HBO and Showtime have both received critical and commercial fame for their original programming over the past decade plus, including blockbuster series like: Oz (HBO), Six Feet Under (HBO), Dream On (HBO), Queer As Folk (Showtime), Soul Food (Showtime), Rome (HBO), Brotherhood (Showtime), Big Love (HBO), Californication (Showtime), The Sopranos (HBO), True Blood (HBO) and Weeds (Showtime), etc.

Which network would you say more consistently produces the original series that you enjoy the most? I figure this is a pretty inclusive topic in this age of DVDs, and other methods of watching television episodes which shall remain nameless. Smile
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Empty Re: HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming?

Post by Supernova Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 am

I wouldn't know because we cut out HBO years ago, and we never really had Showtime, we had it but it was always the static and snow and gray lines between everything so you couldn't really see anything...when we had those channels it was more of a comparison between HBO and Cinemax...and on one hand, both had great movies, about 20 years ago Cinemax was showing The Blob with Steve McQueen and other great older movies. Then, about 10 years back in the daytime they could be counted on for the more current movies that were good, and then usually at night it went into the sex programs, and I remember with those, Cinemax was usually the better choice because it showed more than HBO would, LOL.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming? Empty Re: HBO vs. Showtime: Which Has the Better Original Programming?

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:23 am

It's a close call but I give the nod to HBO.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 am

At one time I would have said HBO, but it Showtime hands down right now.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 am

I always thought HBO's original programming was more highbrow than Showtime's, which by contrasts has traditionally been more quirky and light. Right now, though, there isn't a single show I watch on either. I'm waiting for the fourth season of True Blood.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

HBO usually has the best programming. Right now I am watching a series on Showtime "Shameless"
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Never been all that impressed by Showtime shows really....I can't think of any I ever watched more than once. Like with movies, HBO has it all over them in quality.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Tony Marino wrote:HBO usually has the best programming. Right now I am watching a series on Showtime "Shameless"

You're into that too, Tony? LOL, I think we knoe where Frank Gallagher stands on the Canada vs U.S. question big grin
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:43 am

i would say HBO, sex and the city and sopranos are CLASSICS.. i watch enterouge every now an then..

only showtime show i ever watched was soul food

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:27 pm