CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
RedBedroom
Shale
Supernova
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
Impact
10 posters

Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn: Teachers

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn:  Teachers Empty Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn: Teachers

Post by Impact Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:44 pm

The New York Times

October 4, 2007

Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some

By TINA KELLEY

MONTCLAIR, N.J., Sept. 28 — The parents of Damion Frye’s ninth-grade students are spending their evenings this fall doing something they thought they had left behind long ago: homework.

So far, Mr. Frye, an English teacher at Montclair High School, has asked the parents to read and comment on a Franz Kafka story, Section 1 of Walt Whitman’s “Song of Myself” and a speech given by Robert F. Kennedy in 1968. Their newest assignment is a poem by Saul Williams, a poet, musician and rapper who lives in Los Angeles. The ninth graders complete their assignments during class; the parents are supposed to write their responses on a blog Mr. Frye started online.

If the parents do not comply, Mr. Frye tells them, their child’s grade may suffer — a threat on which he has made good only once in the three years he has been making such assignments.

The point, he said, is to keep parents involved in their children’s ’ education well into high school. Studies have shown that parental involvement improves the quality of the education a student receives, but teenagers seldom invite that involvement. So, Mr. Frye said, he decided to help out.

“Parents complain about never getting to see their kids’ work,” he said. “Now they have to.”

Some parents, he added, seem happy to revisit their high school years.

“There was one parent last year who would write pages and pages of stuff. It was great, so good to read,” said Mr. Frye, who graduated from Montclair High in 1994.

Others are more resistant. “When my daughter told me about the homework, I looked at her and said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. I graduated. I’m done,’” said Lydia Bishop, a local real estate broker whose daughter Vanessa was in Mr. Frye’s class last year. “I did it very resentfully, but I did it.”

Sometimes, Ms. Bishop said, she got out of the homework assignment by logging on to the blog that Mr. Frye created for parents and writing, “I really don’t need this today, I have stuff to do.”

The excuse, she said, was enough to keep Vanessa from being penalized and, despite her reluctance to do homework, Ms. Bishop still thinks Mr. Frye is “one of the best teachers we’ve got.”

Some parents say they like the assignments because they can spark intellectual conversation with teenagers who are normally less than communicative. “Searching for meaning in literary works is like stretching brain-cell-taffy in this household of literal interpretations and men of few words,” one mother wrote on the blog.

Others refrain from complaining to Mr. Frye but figure out the most mature way to say, “The dog ate my homework,” or persuade their spouse to comment on the parent blog instead.

In three years, Mr. Frye said, the assignments have met with only one flat-out refusal. He has received strong support from his bosses — Peter Renwick, an assistant principal at Montclair High, called the approach “very innovative and creative” — and some cautious interest from national teaching experts.

“I think it’s great,” said Gerald N. Tirozzi, executive director of the National Association of Secondary School Principals. “It’s wonderful to involve parents in this way, very meaningfully, and directly related to the instruction the children are receiving in school.” Mr. Tirozzi said he had not heard of any other teachers making similar assignments, and added that he would be interested to know if the students were performing better.
    Carol Jago, the incoming vice president of the National Council of Teachers of English, said, “This is one of those really good ideas that has the potential to do what we really want in society.

“It has to do with what we talk to our students about, and what kind of models we are for our children as readers,” she said, adding that in her 32 years of teaching, she has often asked parents to forgo hiring tutors and instead just read the books their children were reading.

“With 10th graders, the parents often really did tell me that it was the one place where they could talk with their student without fighting, without arguing about their hair,” Ms. Jago said.

But she also cautioned against penalizing students for something that their parents cannot or refuse to do.

“Common educational wisdom is that you don’t assign homework that kids can’t do on their own,” she said.

In fact, Mr. Frye has not penalized students whose parents have told him outright that they will not post responses. But in one case, when the parents neither did the homework nor explained why, a student did lose points — but not enough to lower the student’s overall grade, he said.

He said he got the idea for the homework assignments from a district kindergarten teacher he sat next to during teacher orientation one year, who asked parents to write about what their children had done over the weekend.

Experts say that while many elementary school teachers ask parents to write letters introducing their children at the beginning of the school year, few teachers subject parents to a weekly regimen of reading and writing.

Mr. Frye, 30, teaches 65 ninth graders, in three sections, in a classroom where student art and album covers from Stevie Wonder and John Coltrane decorate the walls. As part of the school district’s efforts to reduce the achievement gap between black and white students in this Essex County suburb — a topic Mr. Frye studied for his graduate thesis — every freshman, regardless of earlier performance in school, takes a world literature course, considered a high honors class, like his.

He said that all the students’ parents had computer access and that only two had told him that they were not fluent in English; one posts on the blog anyway, one sends her responses to him privately, by e-mail. Another parent phones responses in to him.

Tony Lopez, a corporate lawyer who posted a lengthy reaction to the Kennedy speech, given the day after the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot, said he was actually glad to do the weekly homework

“I take it as giving back to the teacher what he is apparently giving to our kids, a lot of attention and a lot of requirements,” Mr. Lopez said. He added that he had been impressed with Mr. Frye’s preparations for the class.

“As a family, we opted to meet him at least halfway,” he said.

Tracy Parsons, whose son Danny is the second of her two boys to be a student in Mr. Frye’s class, said that the weekly assignments had changed the way she approached homework with her children.

“In high school, to some degree you have to back off from homework, so they can gain independent learning skills,” Ms. Parsons said. But teenagers, she noted, “leave a lot out. You ask, ‘What’d you do in science?’ and they say, ‘It was fine.’
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn:  Teachers Empty Re: Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn: Teachers

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 pm

If the parents want to do it, fine. But it should be optional. Otherwise Mr Frye & I would have an issue or two.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn:  Teachers Empty Re: Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn: Teachers

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Mr. Frye wouldn't like to have me as a student or a parent...
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, however I can't see the point in punishing a kid because maybe he has stupid parents who don't do good reports or don't want to do reports.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Rockbird wrote:Mr. Frye wouldn't like to have me as a student or a parent...
    lmao. Spreading Homework Out So Even Parents Have Some To Do - Attn:  Teachers Highfive
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 pm

CeCe wrote:If the parents want to do it, fine. But it should be optional. Otherwise Mr Frye & I would have an issue or two.
    co-signs
    Yep. it is a good idea for some ppl.

I helped my daughter with her school work - didn't do it for her. But that was me. And, I would play along with this assignment because it would basically be forcing your non-communicative teen to interact with you.

I would do it but not under duress. No teacher would dare lower my kids grade because of something I refused to do or I would be seeing the teach and school board in court. So, I suspect the lower grade angle is not a reality because I'm sure I'm not the only person who would take such action.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm

The plan seems to work for this particular demographic, but this would not be implemented well into a majority of high schools.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I guess some people need to be forced into being involved with their kid's education...It makes me a little sad.

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Discouraging as it may sound, I don't have much faith that most parents would commit themselves to this.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Discouraging as it may sound, I don't have much faith that most parents would commit themselves to this.

It's not discouraging, it's just true. A lot of parents think they don't need to bother with school because they already did their time, took their tests, wrote their reports, and now it's their kids' turn.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm

After a long day of earning a living to pay the taxes that help pay teacher's salaries, I can see the resentment of some parents. On the other hand, with the current backlash against the cost of public workers and especially the cost of education (there is a huge war brewing in NJ where this story takes place) I can't totally disagree with this teacher's methods. I might draw the line at penalizing the student’s grade just because their parents wouldn’t cooperate but I think it’s a good “cover your ass” move for teachers. There’s been much talk lately about teacher pay and benefit reforms being tied to student performance. That’s all well and good to help weed out the lazy and incompetent but even the best teacher could “fail” to get an unmotivated, uncooperative student to learn the subject matter. Maybe they should be able to point out that Johnny didn’t do well but Johnny’s parents declined to be involved.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Well maybe Johnny has parents who are dumber than he is. In small places here and there it might work, but on a large scale it would not I don't think...in some places, the names escape me right now, but like where a lot of people are still working in mines and stuff, those parents did NOT get there by their great academic work, they got there through hard labor and that's all they know, and if they were to suddenly be expected to do book reports alongside their kids, I just can't see that kind of stuff working.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 pm

That wasn't my point nor was it the point of the article. I didn't read that the student's grade would suffer if their parent's homework wasn't up to par. It's to get them involved. Nothing more.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah but what's the point in deducting from the kids' grade if the parents don't do a good job or don't do it at all and don't explain why?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 pm

We're not connecting here.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 pm

No we're not, I can get what they're trying to do and I think it has potential and could be a good thing, but I don't get why they reduce the kids' grade if the parents screw up, and it especially doesn't make sense if the deduction doesn't lower their grade enough to worry about, what's the point in that?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:09 pm

As I said, we're not connecting on this.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 pm

It could be a great idea for some, but it would be a real issue where I live due to the multiculturalism and the fact that some parents can't read or write English and can barely speak it. This would be a real hardship to some of them. Also, at my old school, we had many parents who didn't value education at all, and wouldn't have cared about the assignment, nor about their children's grades. Most of the parents didn't graduate themselves and see it as more important that the child is available to babysit and take care of siblings and help out around the house than go to school.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Supernova wrote:On the surface it sounds like a good idea, however I can't see the point in punishing a kid because maybe he has stupid parents who don't do good reports or don't want to do reports.

From the article:

"In fact, Mr. Frye has not penalized students whose parents have told him outright that they will not post responses. But in one case, when the parents neither did the homework nor explained why, a student did lose points — but not enough to lower the student’s overall grade, he said."

Not sure how fair it was for the students to lose any points due to his parents not responding in any fashion. But they aren't losing due to poor parental work.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah but I don't get that either. It's one thing to lower the grade, but what's the point in lowering it if it's not going to be enough to matter?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Yeah, if any points are involved at all, it should be a small amount of extra credit for those whose parents do participate.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Now THERE'S an idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:35 am