CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
stonestatic
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Tony Marino
Chris
10 posters

Riots/rebellion

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Riots/rebellion Empty Riots/rebellion

Post by Chris Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 am

Do you think that riots (rebellion) are ever justified (i.e., the race riots of the 1960s, or the 1992 L.A. riots)? Do they serve a real purpose, or get a useful message across?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Riots/rebellion Empty Re: Riots/rebellion

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 am

To get the message accross: We have had enough!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:12 am

It’s a manifestation of the people’s long pent up frustration but who did it really hurt? Too often it’s a case of shitting where you sleep. They Burned down Watts, not Bel Air.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 am

I don't know much about the whole thing, I think it COULD be justified but I have a hard time seeing how because when there are riots, the police are generally going to be involved, and when they're involved, there's a good chance of there being a higher body count, and they never fully answer for the people they unnecessarily kill anyway.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 am

This will be an unpopular opinion, but for the most part I think rioting is completely inane. Also it usually occurs in the neighborhood or district that the upset citizens live. I just can't see destroying my own property or environment as rebellion because when it's all over I will be the one who has to live with what I just ransacked.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm

stonestatic wrote:This will be an unpopular opinion, but for the most part I think rioting is completely inane. Also it usually occurs in the neighborhood or district that the upset citizens live. I just can't see destroying my own property or environment as rebellion because when it's all over I will be the one who has to live with what I just ransacked.

Not unpopular with me. Pretty much what I said too.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm

stonestatic wrote:This will be an unpopular opinion, but for the most part I think rioting is completely inane. Also it usually occurs in the neighborhood or district that the upset citizens live. I just can't see destroying my own property or environment as rebellion because when it's all over I will be the one who has to live with what I just ransacked.

Well, take the riot of 1992. Because they of that, those cops that got off got brought up and convicted on charges for violating King's civil rights. So basically, it's not totally inane. They did get punished for what they did. However, I do agree about them rioting their own neighboohoods. That was a completely retarded thing to do.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I think most riots are justified, unless it's something like the "God Hates F*gs" church protesting at a gay man's funeral. And I think riots do serve a purpose and they can be very influential. If you get enough people together on an issue, it can absolutely change things. Take the rebellion in Egypt - it made Mubarak, the leader for 30 years, step down, and it's also inspiring other Arab countries to do the same.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Riots can be useful because they usually make a point that the frustration from whatever unjust situation that sparked it won't be tolerated anymore....but....yeah when it's all said and done it's the people who rioted's own community that's left in ruins. Almost like an angry child who breaks their own toy when their parents make them mad.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 pm

The keyword here is "rebellion." All rebellions are negative, but happen as a result of a greater negative and oppressive circumstance from the powers that be. I think rebellions are significant, because (as Marc said) it sends the message that 'we…the public…are not going to passively accept this bias tyranny any longer.' And most of the time the message is delivered loud and clear.

Riots are often contradictory, but they still serve an important purpose.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Some riots are rebellions but not all rebellions are riots. Rebellions can be non-violent, at least on the part of the rebels and can often have an (ultimately) positive affect but riots are typically just mob violence because people are pissed off. That’s probably why they usually only happen when it’s hot out.
    DrDante
    DrDante
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Riots/rebellion Empty Hell to the no, Bobby!!!

Post by DrDante Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 am

I believe that we all have opinions and statements that we often need to make, and make sure they're heard. With that being said, there are proper methods of doing this without violence and ending up on the 6 o'clock news(in a bad way). When actions are taken, such as riots, you've escalated a situation to something drastic. Drastic times do in fact call for drastic measures. Keep it simple and keep it adult. Stand up for what you believe in, like Dr. Martin Luther King- no craziness, no violence- and keep it moving. You'll eventually be heard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 27, 2024 3:11 am