CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters

Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty Empty Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty

Post by Chris Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:44 am

If someone, like Jeffery Dahmer, was sentenced to hundred of years in prison for having committed a murder(s), should they be allowed the death penalty as an alternative option–if they ask for it?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty Empty Re: Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 am

I don't think they should really be able to call the shots.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty Empty Re: Trading a life sentence-plus for the death penalty

Post by Tony Marino Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 am

They should get the death penalty anyway for murder. Beyond a reasonable doubt, a life for a life that's only fair. If they want it then give it to them, make sure their crazy ass dosen't have a chance to get out.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 pm

No. Death is easy....that's the reason they're asking for it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:15 pm

And yet how many people Do ask for the death penalty, seems if anything, they and their lawyers fight for life in prison instead.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Supernova wrote:And yet how many people Do ask for the death penalty, seems if anything, they and their lawyers fight for life in prison instead.

Gary Gilmore technically didn't ask to sentenced to death in lieu of life in prion but he did object to the delays in carrying out his sentence. He was convicted on October 7, 1976 and executed on January 17, 1977. This was even after some stays were granted.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Also, what I object to when people who were convicted and sentenced to death, only later to have capital punishment over-turned in the state that convicted them and their sentences commuted to "life", are elligable for parole. Charles Manson and members of his "family" are a perfect example.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:54 pm

I agree that no one who has committed crimes so heinous that they receive 957 years imprisonment (like Dahmer) should be able to dictate the terms of their sentence.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Agreed, NOW, if they get the death penalty, I do think in the states where you have choices, they should be able how they get to die, whether it's the needle, hanging, electric chair or firing squad...I'd personally take the firing squad, I think more states should offer choices because I don't like the idea of lethal injection being the only option in a lot of states.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 am

Death is convenient and is lets them off the hook. Have them rot in prison for the rest of their miserable days.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:07 am

Sure, but they're rotting at the expense of our taxes which are constantly being raised.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 am

Supernova wrote:Sure, but they're rotting at the expense of our taxes which are constantly being raised.

I've previously given my opinion on the death penalty. I'll add this. Repeated studies have shown that the cost of putting someone to death very often outweighs the cost of keeping them in prison, even for many years. As I've already stated, I think some people are just too evil to live, but that also goes to my criticism of capital punishment. How capriciously it seems to be administered. The afore mentioned Jeffrey Dahmer is convicted of the grizzly murder of 15 people and gets life. Scott Peterson is convicted of murdering his wife and unborn child and is sentenced to death. If you look, you can come up with many other examples that will leave you thinking, why is this person allowed to live but this person had to die?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 am

Alan's right. To execute a criminal, and the death row he sits on for months/years before his fry date, costs the taxpayers more than if he was just serving out a life sentence behind bars.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:01 pm