CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Car concept of the future?

Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Car concept of the future? Empty Car concept of the future?

Post by Timetrvlr Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 pm

What are your thoughts on the future of transportation? I think something like this would be a great bridge to an all-electric automobile in the future.

Volvo V60 is All-Electric, Plug-In Hybrid and Diesel Vehicle All in One
    Written by Megan Treacy on 24/02/11
    http://ecogeek.org/images/stories/volvo-v60.jpg
    volvo-v60
    Having trouble deciding between an all-electric, plug-in hybrid or diesel vehicle? Well, Volvo says you can have all three -- in one car.

The new Volvo V60 Plug-In Hybrid sports wagon can change between those modes by just the push of a button and a driver can experience all three modes during a single trip.

Switching the car into Pure mode makes it an all-electric vehicle. The 70-horsepower electric motor drives the rear wheels, and the lithium-ion battery pack provides a 30-mile range per charge. Each full charge takes about three hours. The Hybrid mode offers a 125 mpg equivalent and a 745-mile range. When you want to maximize performance, switching into Power mode lets you go 0-62 in 6.9 seconds, while sacrificing some efficiency.

In case a driver has trouble deciding which mode to use, the car has navigation technology that automatically recommends the best mode choices for each trip.

It's currently just a concept that will debut at the Geneva Auto Show, but Volvo says it could be at dealerships in Europe by 2012. Those lucky Europeans.
    From EcoGeek
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Car concept of the future? Empty Re: Car concept of the future?

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Timetrvlr, have you ever seen the documentary, "Who Killed The Electric Car?"
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by Timetrvlr Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:01 pm

alan smithee wrote:Timetrvlr, have you ever seen the documentary, "Who Killed The Electric Car?"

No, I haven't but I've heard a lot about it. I think in the future electric cars will be common, a few are already being marketed. At the moment, there is very little support structure so electric cars are only practical in urban areas. Right now, I think hybrid autos are the bridge technology we need to get to an all electric car future.

The other thing that really matters is where will all that additional electricity come from? I hope we won't continue building new coal power plants but instead, rely on wind, solar, hydro and other renewable energy sources. Smart Meters can be used to charge our electric autos at times when the grid demand is low.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:14 pm

I thought we were supposed to be like the Jetsons by now. Wink
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm all for alternative energies but sometimes I think some get a bit ahead of ourselves and act like we can just flip a switch and change. Other energy sources are a good thing to keep on the table in the future, but right now, it'll have to remain just a vision for the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:57 pm