CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
captainbryce
RobbieFTW
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters

Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK  Empty Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK

Post by Chris Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 am

Have you heard about this?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/4084352-418/judge-anti-gay-shirts-worn-by-neuqua-valley-students-ok.html

Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK
    Mar 2, 2011 09:42AM

Neuqua Valley High School students would be allowed to wear “Be Happy, Not Gay” T-shirts under a ruling Tuesday by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The court had rejected Indian Prairie School District 204’s argument that school officials could prohibit students from wearing the shirts to prevent some students from having their feelings hurt.

In its opinion, the court said a “school that permits advocacy of the rights of homosexual students cannot be allowed to stifle criticism of homosexuality.”

“The school argued (and still argues) that banning ‘Be Happy, Not Gay’ was just a matter of protecting the ‘rights’ of the students against whom derogatory comments are directed,” the court said. “But people in our society do not have a legal right to prevent criticism of their beliefs or even their way of life.”

Nate Kellum, senior counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, a legal alliance of Christian attorneys who represented the students in the suit, responded: “In an environment that freely allows speech that promotes homosexual behavior, the school simply cannot shut out the opposing viewpoint.”

In April 2006, Heidi Zamecnik, a student at Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville, wore the T-shirt to school after the school permitted other students the previous day to wear shirts showing support for homosexuals as part of the “Day of Silence.”

That event, promoted by the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network, intended to draw attention to harassment of homosexuals.

The school’s dean demanded she remove it or be sent home for the day. After speaking with Zamecnik’s mother by phone, all agreed to change the shirt to read, “Be Happy, Be Straight.” However, the dean instead had a female counselor cross the words “Not Gay” off Zamecnik’s shirt so it simply read “Be Happy.”

Alex Nuxoll, another Neuqua Valley student, wanted to wear a similar shirt to class. He had twice filed for an injunction that would suspend the school’s policy that prevented him from wearing the T-shirt.

Twice the courts denied that request. But in April of 2008, the 7th Circuit Court reversed the lower courts’ rulings, saying the district court must order Neuqua to suspend its ban on the shirt while the civil rights lawsuit filed by Nuxoll and Zamecnik proceeded.

District 204 board President Curt Bradshaw said he could not yet comment on the ruling.

Naperville Sun
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK  Empty Re: Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:36 am

If a kid can wear a shirt "hearting" their genitals, or any other cause shirt, I don't see the issue with kids wearing these shirt. Did I seriously read the "so kids don't get their feelings hurt"? I thought that language was confined to mockery. FORGIVENESS MAN

IMO, if you banned these shirts, you might as well bring in an actual uniform. Afterall, somebody might get their feelings hurt if kids actually decide what they can wear.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK  Empty Re: Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 am

So would a shirt that said "Be Smart Not Christan" be allowed? Neutral
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am

^^^^It probably already is. The teachers practically chant that in the classrooms as is. If and when Christians rise up, the same people upset about this tell them to suck it up. Razz
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:56 am

RobbieFTW wrote:So would a shirt that said "Be Smart Not Christan" be allowed? Neutral
    Yes. They should also have shirts that say, "Be Legal, Not Mexican", "Be Fair, Not Jewish", "Don't be Lazy, Don't be Black", "Don't be Muslim, Don't be a Terrorist", and "Be Racist, Be White". All those shirts should be "allowed" by this school too because that's only kids expressing their opinion right? Freedom of speech right?
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16 am

captainbryce wrote:
    RobbieFTW wrote:So would a shirt that said "Be Smart Not Christan" be allowed? Neutral
    Yes. They should also have shirts that say, "Be Legal, Not Mexican", "Be Fair, Not Jewish", "Don't be Lazy, Don't be Black", "Don't be Muslim, Don't be a Terrorist", and "Be Racist, Be White". All those shirts should be "allowed" by this school too because that's only kids expressing their opinion right? Freedom of speech right?

Yeah that "Freedom" of Speech again. She's a diligent old broad who in her old age is more about protecting herself over the people.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 am

The LAW is impartial (or at least should be) so legally, this is a sound decision. The only option for the school to get rid of hate speech is to allow all the messages as mentioned by CB or no messages at all.

A lot of inner city schools have instituted strict clothing policies to keep gang members from showing their colors. No T-shirts or other clothing with messages will probably be the school policy, which the courts have said is their right.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am

Would anybody really care if the shirt insulted Christians? Just wondering.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:54 am

For every t-shirt is an equal and opposite T-shirt
    Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK  0305
    Judge: Anti-gay shirts worn by Neuqua Valley students OK  Pictur12
    Damn. The second image doesn't want to appear. The logo reads "Science flies you to the Moon. God doesn't need a spaceship".

-----
    * Chris note: Fixed it for you Alan.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:Yeah that "Freedom" of Speech again. She's a diligent old broad who in her old age is more about protecting herself over the people.

Sorry Robbie but we're going to disagree on this. It may seem that the old broad only cares about protecting the speech of people you think are assholes but she also protects your right to say that George Bush is one too (for example0. It's the price of living in a free society and I'm willing to pay it.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Would anybody really care if the shirt insulted Christians? Just wondering.

I remember somebody in my Biology class doing his presentation on evolution, and it full of inappropriate jabs at Christians. The entire class, including me and other atheists (and non-Christians), was absolutely disgusted at how offensive he was.

--

As for these shirts, they should not be allowed on school property because they are offensive and call out a certain segment of the school's population. Any shirt that shows pride or outspokenness of being homosexual isn't, at the same time, putting down those who are not gay. That's the difference between a shirt that says "Gay pride" and "Be happy, not gay." The former shirt isn't degrading to heterosexuals.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Rockbird wrote:I remember somebody in my Biology class doing his presentation on evolution, and it full of inappropriate jabs at Christians. The entire class, including me and other atheists (and non-Christians), was absolutely disgusted at how offensive he was.

That'd be interesting to see. From where I currently stand, it's the opposite. Always shots at Christianity that go unchecked.

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 pm

I wish people would make up their minds.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I don't think the right decision was made in this instance. It's teaching kids that being straight is superior to being gay - why would anyone want to send that message to impressionable teenagers? Teenagers are narrow enough as it is, they don’t need any additional push into intolerance, they don’t need someone like a judge encouraging them that it’s okay to be homophobic.

The whole freedom of speech thing is very selective in this case. Let me understand this: It’s okay to freely wear a pro-straight t-shirt (“Be Happy, Not Gay”), but it’s not okay for a girl to wear a pro-gay t-shirt and being forced into either taking the shirt off or going home for the day?

The judge based his/her opinion on personal prejudice, not what is legally right.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:19 pm

It isn't teaching kids that anything is superior. It's teaching kids that the world doesn't bend over backwards to avoid hurting your feelings.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:21 pm

I thought schools had a policy against disrespectful attire.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Only when it disrespects people they don't want to see disrespected.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Like homophobes, apparently.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Would anybody really care if the shirt insulted Christians? Just wondering.
    Yes, I would. And if my kid went to a school that allowed people to wear shirts that insulted Christianity, I would probably sue the school or take take my kid out of that school. Any such prejudice is wrong and shouldn't be tolorated! There is no excuse for that in this day and age and it's not the mark of a civilized society.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:It isn't teaching kids that anything is superior. It's teaching kids that the world doesn't bend over backwards to avoid hurting your feelings.
    Actually, it's teaching kids that it's okay to insult other groups and in this case that homosexuality is inferior. That's exactly what allowing those shirts is teaching kids.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:38 pm

^^^^No, that's not what it teaches kids. All it teaches kids is that you can't ban your way out of being offended. If you're offended, banning the offensive material shouldn't be your first action. It's not about one being better than the other and more that you can't just have anything that offends you taken away.

captainbryce wrote:
    Yes, I would. And if my kid went to a school that allowed people to wear shirts that insulted Christianity, I would probably sue the school or take take my kid out of that school. Any such prejudice is wrong and shouldn't be tolorated! There is no excuse for that in this day and age and it's not the mark of a civilized society.
    Well, it's commonplace. Even if they don't have shirts, the teachers propagate it. We live in a world where everyone is out to insult everyone else.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:48 am