CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
RedBedroom
Jason B.
Dan70
GG
CatEyes10736
Kral
Tony Marino
Nhaiyel
Nystyle709
JM130ELM
Marc™
15 posters

What's the Point of Twitter?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

What's the Point of Twitter? Empty What's the Point of Twitter?

Post by Marc™ Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 am

I'm still scratching my head over this shit. Just doesn't make sense to me at all. All it is is a mass of unorganized posts coming from every which way.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

What's the Point of Twitter? Empty Re: What's the Point of Twitter?

Post by JM130ELM Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 am

Unless you have a huge list of followers who you hang on your every word (like celebrities), Twitter is mainly for advertising and broadcasting links.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:18 am

JM130ELM wrote:Unless you have a huge list of followers who you hang on your every word (like celebrities), Twitter is mainly for advertising and broadcasting links.

And really, who cares if you're about to go and pick up your dry-cleaning? I swear, all of these social websites ain't nothing but the devil! lol. Do you see about many people get caught cheating and whatever else by posting ALL of their business on FB and Twitter? It's ridiculous. I've even seen stories where people got fired from there jobs because of it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:29 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    JM130ELM wrote:Unless you have a huge list of followers who you hang on your every word (like celebrities), Twitter is mainly for advertising and broadcasting links.

And really, who cares if you're about to go and pick up your dry-cleaning? I swear, all of these social websites ain't nothing but the devil! lol. Do you see about many people get caught cheating and whatever else by posting ALL of their business on FB and Twitter? It's ridiculous. I've even seen stories where people got fired from there jobs because of it.

LOL! My co-worker was fired because of it. I'm a phone IT, and at my job we mainly get calls from Sears and K-Mart about technical problems that are going on in their stores that hinder them from being able to do their jobs. Naturally, sometimes, while we are resolving the issue we have to put the caller on hold (we're not supposed to keep them on hold for longer than ten minutes, and our supervisors can randomly monitor everything about the call...) to troubleshoot from our computers, or to converge with our higher level technical agents who have the authority to take more drastic technical steps. Well, anyway, this one girl I worked with put her caller on hold, and kept them there for 50 minutes...while sporadically coming back to the line pretending like the issue was being taken care of. In the meantime, management were secretly monitoring that call, noted how long the customer was hold, and very subtly walked up on her to see what was going on...only to discover her playing around on Facebook.

They walked her butt out.

Last edited by Nhaiyel on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 am

Don't have Twitter, Don't have Facebook, Don't care about people knowing my everyday business. I have a cell phone which is off most of the time, it you need to reach me, do it the old fashioned way and leave me a message at home. I check my e-mail once a day on the cell.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am

Tony Marino wrote:Don't have Twitter, Don't have Facebook, Don't care about people knowing my everyday business. I have a cell phone which is off most of the time, it you need to reach me, do it the old fashioned way and leave me a message at home. I check my e-mail once a day on the cell.

co-signs

I do have a Facebook page, but it's nothing for me to go three to six months without checking it. My phone, though, is always on...
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Don't have Twitter, Don't have Facebook, Don't care about people knowing my everyday business. I have a cell phone which is off most of the time, it you need to reach me, do it the old fashioned way and leave me a message at home. I check my e-mail once a day on the cell.

co-signs

I do have a Facebook page, but it's nothing for me to go three to six months without checking it. My phone, though, is always on...

Im not anti social or anything its just in the past I have gotten calls on my cell just for idle chit chat when I am busy somewhere and that can be a bit annoying LOL
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:

LOL! My co-worker was fired because of it. I'm a phone IT, and at my job we mainly get calls from Sears and K-Mart about technical problems that are going on in their stores that hinder them from being able to do their jobs. Naturally, sometimes, while we are resolving the issue we have to put the caller on hold (we're not supposed to keep them on hold for longer than ten minutes, and our supervisors can randomly monitor everything about the call...) to troubleshoot from our computers, or to converge with our higher level technical agents who have the authority to take more drastic technical steps. Well, anyway, this one girl I worked with put her caller on hold, and kept them there for 50 minutes...while sporadically coming back to the line pretending like the issue was being taken care of. In the meantime, management were secretly monitoring that call, noted how long the customer was hold, and very subtly walked up on her to see what was going on...only to discover her playing around on Facebook.

They walked her butt out.

LOL, crazy. This one chick actually forgot that she had her boss as one of her friends on FB....she actually posted in her status about how much she hated her job, her boss makes her sick, he's a fat pig, etc, etc, yada, yada, yada. Her boss actually responded to her status by saying that she's a slack worker and some other funny shit and capped it off by telling her not to bother to come in to work the next day. So she basically got fired ON her FB and her 500 some odd friends know about it. How stupid can you be?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:

co-signs

Same here. I always check my e-mail and I always have my phone...so if you have either one, you can always reach me. The only thing about me is...I text. I text A LOT. I will have an entire conversation with you by texting. Now sometimes it pisses me of when I try to call someone and they don't answer their phone (it's like why do you have a damn phone?) because I want to talk instead of text....but I can't say that I'm not a texting whore.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:32 pm

You can have little conversations on Twitter but it's just so narrow and congested (plus there's a character limit) that I don't really see much of a point honestly. As JM130ELM said, Twitter's biggest use is for advertising your website.

Facebook makes the most sense as far as social networking is concerned.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
    LOL, crazy. This one chick actually forgot that she had her boss as one of her friends on FB....she actually posted in her status about how much she hated her job, her boss makes her sick, he's a fat pig, etc, etc, yada, yada, yada. Her boss actually responded to her status by saying that she's a slack worker and some other funny shit and capped it off by telling her not to bother to come in to work the next day. So she basically got fired ON her FB and her 500 some odd friends know about it. How stupid can you be?

😆

That's hysterical. I really don't get in depth about my life and feelings on my facebook wall. I might briefly say something about how tired/hungry/excited/agitated I am, or if I just came back from somewhere. Very random, general stuff. I tend to be very aware of the more important people who're on my friends list. I can't imagine not being mindful of the fact that my boss was one of them, and going off on a rant about how much I hated my job and manager. That's just too absent-minded for anyone who deserves to be employed. She got fired being stupid.
    GG
    GG
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 1

Post by GG Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Twitter is actually quite boring to me. It does let you get more views and some exposure. But, it's random chit chat.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:15 pm

So, I'm not alone in wondering what the hell the purpose of Twitter is. It seems to be an on-line public text message service - its difficult to impart anything interesting in a sentence, especially when it so often seems to be people telling you tiny, inconsequential things about their average lives.

Its like blogging for those with nothing to say.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:07 pm

If you use twitter intelligently, carefully selecting people/orgs to follow who provide genuinely interesting/informative content through their Twitter feed (i.e. people on the ground in hotspots providing info before agenda-laden media orgs, TfL traffic alerts, two examples), it can be absoluetly fantastic. I would never argue that it's a lifestyle necessity, but it is useful.

Unfortunately many people use it as a means of engaging in their modern religious practice: worshipping celebrities.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I only have about four friends on Twitter, so I don't see the point for me. I have one, but rarely look at it.
    GG
    GG
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by GG Sat May 01, 2010 5:11 am

Dan70 wrote:So, I'm not alone in wondering what the hell the purpose of Twitter is. It seems to be an on-line public text message service - its difficult to impart anything interesting in a sentence, especially when it so often seems to be people telling you tiny, inconsequential things about their average lives.

LOL!! "on-line public text message service", "blogging for those with nothing to say"..that's funny but I must agree.
    GG
    GG
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by GG Sat May 01, 2010 5:23 am

JB wrote:If you use twitter intelligently, carefully selecting people/orgs to follow who provide genuinely interesting/informative content through their Twitter feed (i.e. people on the ground in hotspots providing info before agenda-laden media orgs, TfL traffic alerts, two examples), it can be absoluetly fantastic. I would never argue that it's a lifestyle necessity, but it is useful.

Unfortunately many people use it as a means of engaging in their modern religious practice: worshipping celebrities.

I agree. Other than a way for people to keep up with their favorite celebrity's status, it can give more exposure to your site. So I sometimes use it in relations to that. But, other than that, I personally do not like Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, or blogging for pleasure..maybe because I'm the quiet type. But, I use most of them for other reasons and not pleasure.

I have heard that mostly older audiences mainly enjoy Twitter, is this true? As I notice many younger audience also use Twitter.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 am

I don't get the Twitter phenomena at all, especially since it only allows you a limited number of characters. The whole medium is so completely 'basic' in nature that it irks me that I didn't think of it first.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am

Dan70 wrote:So, I'm not alone in wondering what the hell the purpose of Twitter is. It seems to be an on-line public text message service - its difficult to impart anything interesting in a sentence, especially when it so often seems to be people telling you tiny, inconsequential things about their average lives.

That's not a bad description to be honest.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:32 am

Chris wrote:I don't get the Twitter phenomena at all, especially since it only allows you a limited number of characters. The whole medium is so completely 'basic' in nature that it irks me that I didn't think of it first.
    I never got into Twitter at all but I think the FaceBook "streaming" is similar. I once mocked it by posting "I'm taking a shit - gonna wipe my ass when I'm done" Like who cares about all the mundane occurrences one does thru out the day.

I do all my personal revelations on forum boards, where I get to know a few of the cyberfriends that post there and usually in a thread of some subject like this one.

Tony Marino wrote:... I have a cell phone which is off most of the time, it you need to reach me, do it the old fashioned way and leave me a message at home...

BTW, glad to see I am not the only person who owns a cell phone and keeps it turned off most of the time. I bought the thing for MY convenience when traveling and ppl can call my home phone and leave a msg on my machine if they need me.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Did they revamp it to allow more characters? I went on there and it looked slightly different. Meh. Still don't get it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Marc™ wrote:Did they revamp it to allow more characters? I went on there and it looked slightly different. Meh. Still don't get it.

No it just looks different. Still at 140 but they added an automatic link shortener.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 pm

It's a newsfeed site. It's kinda useless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:29 am