CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Alan Smithee
GrayWolf
RobbieFTW
TPP
captainbryce
Tony Marino
Chris
Supernova
Cheaps
13 posters

Elizabeth Taylor dies!

Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Elizabeth Taylor dies! Empty Elizabeth Taylor dies!

Post by Cheaps Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110323/ap_en_ot/us_obit_taylor

Film legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79

Elizabeth Taylor dies! Capt.2904c550ac3b40f7837d2c55febff984-2904c550ac3b40f7837d2c55febff984-0.jpg?x=213&y=270&xc=1&yc=1&wc=323&hc=409&q=85&sig=1t6PRy8_9aF2WUONIS
    AP – FILE - This Sept. 1946 file photo shows Elizabeth Taylor. Publicist Sally Morrison says the actress died …

By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Bob Thomas, Associated Press – 4 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Screen legend Elizabeth Taylor, the violet-eyed film goddess whose sultry screen life was often upstaged by her stormy personal life, died Wednesday at age 79.

She died of congestive heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized for about six weeks, publicist Sally Morrison said.

"My Mother was an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest, with great passion, humor, and love," her son, Michael Wilding, said in a statement.

"We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it. Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts."

Wilding and Taylor's three other children were with her. She is also survived buy 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Taylor had extraordinary grace, fame and wealth, and won three Oscars, including a special one for her humanitarian work. But she was tortured by ill health, failed romances and personal tragedy.

"I think I'm becoming fatalistic," she said in 1989. "Too much has happened in my life for me not to be fatalistic."

Her eight marriages — including two to actor Richard Burton — and a lifelong battle with substance abuse, physical ailments and overeating made Taylor as popular in supermarket tabloids as in classic film festivals.

Taylor disclosed in November 2004 that she had congestive heart failure. But she still periodically dismissed reports that she was at death's door, saying she used a wheelchair only because of chronic back problems that began at age 12 when she fell from a horse.

Elizabeth Taylor dies! Capt.photo_1300886713282-1-0

"Oh, come on, do I look like I'm dying?" she said in May 2006 in a rare television interview on CNN's "Larry King Live." "Do I look like or sound like I have Alzheimer's?" Tabloids report such things "because they have nothing else dirty to write about anybody else," she said.

When she turned 75 the following year, she was asked about the secret to her longevity and quipped: "Hangin' in."

The London-born actress was a star at age 12, a bride and a divorcee at 18, a screen goddess at 19 and a widow at 26.

She appeared in more than 50 films, and won Oscars for her performances in "Butterfield 8" (1960) and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (1966), in which she starred opposite Burton.

In later years, she was a spokeswoman for several causes, most notably AIDS research. Her work gained her a special Oscar, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, in 1993.

As she accepted it, she told a worldwide television audience: "I call upon you to draw from the depths of your being — to prove that we are a human race, to prove that our love outweighs our need to hate, that our compassion is more compelling than our need to blame."

She accepted her many health problems with a stoic attitude.

"My body's a real mess," Taylor told W magazine in 2004. "If you look at it in the mirror, it's just completely convex and concave."
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Elizabeth Taylor dies! Empty Re: Elizabeth Taylor dies!

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am

It's sad, and weird, because if my memory serves, I think it was sometime last year I had this thought that she wouldn't make it through the next year.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:59 am

I'm speechless.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 am

I just heard the news now, WOW! She was an amazing woman. She was beautiful, talented and giving. She had a tough life but she always had a smile. RIP Liz! sad
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 am

That sucks. RIP
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 am

RIP Elizabeth Taylor, hope you're free of the shackles of your aged body and full of peace and well being now, where ever you are.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am

Sad news. RIP Liz. She was a great actress and one of the most gorgeous actresses Hollywood ever saw.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Elizabeth Taylor dies! Liz15x15

faints
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 pm

One of my co-workers announced this this morning. I was taken by surprise because I hadn't heard she was in ill health. It is sad and her life had it's share of tradedy but I think she came out ahead. RIP.
    Rainmaker
    Rainmaker
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rainmaker Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Sad as the news of her passing is, the last 20 years of her life was one health battle after another. At least now she's at peace.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Wonder what she and Michael are doing..........

RIP.

She was actually a lot younger than I thought she was.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 pm

She was a striking beauty, and an accomplished actress. She had a dynamic life with 7 husbands (reflecting a generational constraint of saving it for marriage) She had much fame and altho it was merely a sentence in this posted obit, more significant is here advocacy for AIDS causes.

It was 1985 and AIDS was feared, ignorance of the disease was rampant in our society and ppl with AIDS were shunned - and those working with them could be shunned as well.

Elizabeth had a big heart and used her great fame to bring this cause to the public mind.

I was there in the mid '80s and knew the facts of this disease and the ignorance that was common. I felt compelled to get involved in the AIDS activism and volunteered at a service organization. I was apprehensive how my employer would react because ppl did react in very negative ways back then. (Fortunately she was a compassionate woman who soon joined in the service to ppl with this disease)

Elizabeth too was shunned for her involvement in this cause but her great fame outshone that and she not only brot money to the care but also an awareness to the public and elected officials.

She was not just a woman of great beauty and style but one of great substance.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:41 pm

It always disappointed me how she retired from acting so early. For my generation, she's been more known for perfume than films. I remember when she did that Flinstones movie and everyone was calling it her "return to acting". I wish her feature film resume had stretched into her 70s.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:02 pm