CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Sucker Punch

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Sucker Punch Empty Sucker Punch

Post by Shale Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Sucker Punch
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    March 25, 2011

I have been watching the trailers to this movie for some while and it looked like another graphic novel put on screen. I had no idea what it was about except it was an adventure story with all female protagonists and the CGI scenes looked good so I had to see it.

Sucker Punch 73914_gal

And, I was blown away by the visuals. Art on screen as I like to describe it - whether the purely CGI scenes or the more realistic portrayal of an old psych institution in the early '60s. The movie magic was not only what computers did but what the camera did with angles and focus. Sometimes it reminded me of those beautifully shot 1940s movies, where the camera stays on a somewhat insignificant object in the room before moving to the real action. I found it to be a really beautiful movie.

Strangely, on Rottentomatoes only 20% of the aggregate critics liked this movie. However, 76% of audiences liked as well as our local movie critic Rene Rodriguez with The Miami Herald who gave it a 3 stars out of 4 and a gushing review of its fine qualities and that of its co-writer and director Zack Snyder. In fact, Rodriguez wrote many of my feelings that I was mentally planning to use in this blurb, so please do not accuse me of plagiarism if it looks like I am writing what he wrote. He gets advanced screening - ain't fair!

The story starts with the tragic life of Baby Doll (Emily Browning) and how she came to be put in an insane asylum by her evil stepfather. The soundtrack was as dynamic as the visuals with The Eurythmics Sweet Dreams being sung (by Browning) on these opening scenes, which told the story without dialogue.

Evil stepfather arranges for Baby Doll to get a lobotomy so she cannot talk about what he has done. He pays off Blue (Oscar Isaac) the corrupt attendant to see that it is done.

The New Boss of Baby Doll
    Sucker Punch 74425_gal

They take a preliminary tour of this "Shutter Island" style facility and you see that it is bleak. But then it shifts to a cabaret/brothel where all the inmates and staff take on new roles - very similar to those in real life. Blue becomes a gangster pimp and all the girls dancers.

Baby Doll New Reality
    Sucker Punch 74404_gal

From there it becomes a dream within a dream as Baby Doll goes into trances when she dances and this is where all the action takes place - she and four other inmates/dancers planning an escape - guided by Baby Doll who has advice from a Wise Man (Scott Glenn) who tells her what she needs and needs to do to escape.

Old Master Guide
    Sucker Punch 74267_gal

The Wise Man initially gives Baby Doll her weapons and the CGI battle scenes get under way immediately as she battles huge robot ninja's with Swords, Lances & Gatling Guns.

Baby Doll with Weapons
    Sucker Punch 74402_gal

In and Out of the First Dream of the Bordello ...

Sucker Punch 74416_gal

Our team of girl warriors; Rocket (Jenna Malone), Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens), Amber (Jamie Chung) and Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish), with help from the Wise Man, fight surreal battles in WWI, the Middle Ages with dragons and on some other planet against robots - all in a very fine graphic novel style.

All Girl Strike Force
    Sucker Punch 72389_gal

As you can tell, I really liked this movie. It was a visual experience, and tho the story did not always make exact sense, it was the journey that mattered. Despite all the violence, it is a PG-13 rated movie (They pulled a trick like Twilight where decapitated and hacked up vampires turned to clay. Here they let off steam or light rather than blood). However, it is a dark tale like Watchmen or Sin City. I may end up seeing it again before it goes to DVD.

One Imaginary Battle Scene

Sucker Punch 74406_gal
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Sucker Punch Empty Re: Sucker Punch

Post by TPP Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:28 pm

My husband told me that he wants to see this and I had no idea what he was talking about. It looks interesting, sort of matrix/inceptionish.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:45 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:My husband told me that he wants to see this and I had no idea what he was talking about. It looks interesting, sort of matrix/inceptionish.
    Yes, and Shutter Island, Watchmen, Sin City, 300. It has so many elements of so many movies, and yet it is not a clone of any of them. Actually I believe Watchmen and 300 had the same director as this. But this movie is his baby. It is not from some other graphic novel where he has to try to stay with someone else's story. As co-writer of this new story he had leeway to concentrate on the visuals and sound and did a good job of it.

I can't understand why so few critics appreciated this movie.

I may even take a long bus trip to see this in IMAX.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:46 pm

My husband will probably love it because he loves 300.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am

Sucker Punch has been getting bad reviews. I still want to see it. I'll prob. go on Sunday.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am

Saw it this weekend. Whoribble.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am

Upon seeing the trailer, at first I thought 'well why would I want to see this? I hate movies where people suffer aimlessly for most of the picture', then as it picked up I thought 'well, this might be interesting', then I saw the rest of the trailer and was like 'oh give me a break'. So, in my opinion it's not worth my $7.25 to go see when I already have a good idea I'm not going to like it, which sucks because for a minute I thought it had potential.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:12 am