CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
AtownPeep
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Supernova
RedBedroom
9 posters

Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker? Empty Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker?

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:54 am

When I worked in dentistry, a hygienist said that her adult husband still sucked his thumb. I thought that was strange, as she should have/could have broken him of that, even if it took a "crib" which is an orthodontic appliance to curb thumb sucking.

I just found out that a motocross sports announcer that I am highly fond of still sucks her thumb. I won't knock it, I just don't get the habit beyond age five.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker? Empty Re: Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker?

Post by Supernova Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:59 am

I don't think I even got it as a kid...I'd see the cartoons, the old cartoons where the mother tells her son he's too old for it and he still does it, and I'd kind of jokingly do it too but that was just never something I did. And I have no memories of pacifiers, it seems the things most commonly in my mouth were baby bottles and from there, thermoses.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker? Empty Re: Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker?

Post by Cheaps Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:40 am

don't know....i'll ask my mama
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:13 am

I wasn't then and so am not now. Sucking is a common reflex in humans and other primates. If you put something in an infant's mouth, it will suck on it (breastfeeding). Sometimes children don't grow out of it and the reflex becomes ingrained. Except for the social stigma (and potential for buck teeth) there really aren't serious issues. Unless you never wash your hands.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:32 am

Here in bubblefuck GA, I have known a few silly ass teenage boys who for whatever never outgrew that ish. They look like baboons.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 am

I had a friend that I grew up with that sucked her thumb and twirled her hair at the same time up until she was a young teenager. I remember her mom always yelling at her to stop sucking the thumb!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:53 am

RedBedroom wrote:When I worked in dentistry, a hygienist said that her adult husband still sucked his thumb. I thought that was strange, as she should have/could have broken him of that, even if it took a "crib" which is an orthodontic appliance to curb thumb sucking.

I just found out that a motocross sports announcer that I am highly fond of still sucks her thumb. I won't knock it, I just don't get the habit beyond age five.

When my daughter was like two, her mother and I both forbade her from continuing that habit. She resisted, but we kept on her to stop, until finally she kicked it. Post toddler thumb suckers just never had parents who were strict with them about stopping it during that stage. I never knew a grown thumb sucker, but I recall being in middle school and having a classmate who still sucked his thumb (and he was clowned for it.)
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:55 am

I have a cousin who is 25 and still sucks her thumb. I never did it. Never got into that habit. Have you known (or were/are you) an adult habitual thumb sucker? 2517814472 I guess it's something that you sometimes don't outgrow.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:33 pm

There's a kid in the school I was at this past year who still sucks his thumb. He's in grade 6. If the kids notice, he'll really be teased, but so far they haven't as he doesn't do it very often.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:51 am