CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
TSJFan4Ever
Kral
RedBedroom
8 posters

Just have to brag for a minute

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Just have to brag for a minute Empty Just have to brag for a minute

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:04 am

My son wanted to go to band camp last summer. It was crazy expensive, and he wasn't as into his trumpet as he is now, so I could not justify the cost at that time.

So, this year I told him he could go, but have been not liking the thought of the cost.

Well...his teacher was able to award someone with a scholarship and he was chosen!! It is based on his ability, so I am so super proud. (He was selected for honors band too, and will be skipping 7th grade band, and going to 8th next year). So, bonus...I am super proud and saved a bunch of money.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Just have to brag for a minute Empty Re: Just have to brag for a minute

Post by Kral Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:15 am

RedBedroom wrote:My son wanted to go to band camp last summer. It was crazy expensive, and he wasn't as into his trumpet as he is now, so I could not justify the cost at that time.

So, this year I told him he could go, but have been not liking the thought of the cost.

Well...his teacher was able to award someone with a scholarship and he was chosen!! It is based on his ability, so I am so super proud. (He was selected for honors band too, and will be skipping 7th grade band, and going to 8th next year). So, bonus...I am super proud and saved a bunch of money.

CONGRATULATIONS on your son being the one selected to go. He must have standout talent to be able to attend as an honorary guest. I hope he realizes that and is humbled by it.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:27 am

That's awesome, Red! Congrats to your son. You must be so proud of him. What an honour to be chosen. Smile Smile Smile
    cheers (rah) cheers (rah) cheers (rah)
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 am

Thank you so much, Kral!

I think he is proud of himself. I hesitate to call him humbled because I don't think he is totally grasping how huge this is and that he should be humbled by it. He actually forgot to tell us about it yesterday! He told me today when a friend was here to scrapbook with me, so we didn't have time to talk about it today. So, tomorrow, we are going to have a chat about how doing well with any school related things can equate to notoriety and money saving and taking anything to the next level. We have had conversations about his music and college already, as I have a friend who attended the same private college my son's sister goes to and my friend got a full scholarship for her clarinet playing. So, we have talked about it and I hope he continues to grow with his trumpet playing.

It really is crazy. Last year was his first year and his elementary school really cut the music budget and so he only met with the teacher twice per month. This year in Jr. High, they meet two or three times per week. Plus, last year he was playing with a borrowed trumpet that was pretty old. This year he has a new one. He is totally into it now. He liked it last year, but this year he loves it. And I am so thrilled. He races motorcycles, and so his music is so awesome and safe and stress free. So, as mommy, I adore it!

He literally has taught himself how to play current top 40 songs just by hearing them. And I am so not musically inclined at all to know if that is impressive or not, but I am totally impressed!

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 am

Thank you so very much, TSJ!!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:43 am

Good for him. Hope he does something with that.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 am

Thanks NY!! I hope so too. We shall see. I am thinking that because I am saving money on the camp, I will see if I can find a cheap way for him to get lessons over the summer with a music major college student that can help him stay in practice over the summer. Private lessons at music stores are crazy expensive.

He auditioned with the group that is all adults and plays in a park for free in the summer and they wanted him, but he felt weird playing with all adults and he was the only kid who auditioned who was selected, so he declined. When the audtions were open to all age groups, he thought there would be other kids. Plus logistically, it was hard to know for sure I could get him there every Thursday during summer at lunch time.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 am

Good for him....he'll probably have fun. I went to band camp in high school and had a pretty decent time.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 am

clapping RIGHT ON!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:32 am

That's great news. I'm happy for you and your son. Just goes to show that when you're deserving, sometimes fate makes a way. I hope he has a terrific time at camp. And I hope you and his father enjoy waking up a little later while he's gone. Razz
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 am

Congrats to you son Red and I am sure you are the proudest Mama in the world right now!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks to you guys so much for the kind words!!

And I hope you and his father enjoy waking up a little later while he's gone.

LOL, Chris...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:09 am