CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RobbieFTW
CeCe
Nystyle709
Supernova
Chris
9 posters

Do you support Arizona's new abortion law?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you support Arizona's new abortion law? Empty Do you support Arizona's new abortion law?

Post by Chris Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:29 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/30/us-arizona-abortion-idUSTRE72T0TH20110330

Arizona enacts ban on abortions based on gender, race
    Do you support Arizona's new abortion law? ?m=02&d=20110330&t=2&i=374815293&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2011-03-30T182904Z_01_BTRE72T0P7I00_RTROPTP_0_ARIZONA-IMMIGRATION

By David Schwartz
    PHOENIX | Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29pm EDT

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Tuesday signed into law a controversial bill that makes the state the first in the nation to outlaw abortions performed on the basis of the race or gender of the fetus.

The move comes as anti-abortion groups across the nation try to seize on gains made by political conservatives during the November elections, seeking enactment of new state laws to further restrict abortions.

Under the new Arizona statute, doctors and other medical professionals would face felony charges if they could be shown to have performed abortions for the purposes of helping parents select their offspring on the basis of gender or race.

The women having such abortions would not be penalized.

State legislators have said no such law exists anywhere else in the nation.

Backers of the measure said the ban is needed to put an end to sex- and race-related discrimination that exists in Arizona and throughout the nation. They insist the issue is about bias rather than any broader stance on abortion.

"Governor Brewer believes society has a responsibility to protect its most vulnerable -- the unborn -- and this legislation is consistent with her strong pro-life track record," a spokesman said.

But opponents have maintained that while such abortions may be happening in other countries like China, no clear evidence can found of it occurring in Arizona.

Planned Parenthood Federation of America also said the measure may erode a woman's rights, fearing that doctors for the first time would feel compelled to ask their patients the reasons for seeking an abortion.

A Planned Parenthood official in Arizona condemned the governor's action in a statement to Reuters.

"This law creates a highly unusual requirement that women state publicly their reason for choosing to terminate a pregnancy -- a private decision they already made with their physician, partner and family," said Bryan Howard, the group's chief executive.

The law contains no explicit provision requiring doctors to ask their patients their reasons for seeking an abortion, nor for patients to disclose such reasons. But opponents of the measure feel passage of the new law might make them feel more inclined to do so.

The law would take effect 90 days following the end of the current legislative session.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Do you support Arizona's new abortion law? Empty Re: Do you support Arizona's new abortion law?

Post by Supernova Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:12 am

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm for it, why SHOULD parents be able to kill their children just because they know it's not going to be the gender they want or the color they want? If you're that picky you have no business having kids in the first place but you don't get to decide who lives and who dies on a boy/girl basis like China does.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do you support Arizona's new abortion law? Empty Re: Do you support Arizona's new abortion law?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 am

Just like most of Arizona's laws......this shit is stupid. Who's to say the women won't lie to 'justify' their reason for abortion? How could you not know what race your baby will be? LOL. By the time the sex of the baby can be determined, it's already too late to get an abortion. Most women do not abort after the second trimester. And it's no one's damn business why a woman gets an abortion anyway. I'm glad I don't live in that backwards ass state.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Just like most of Arizona's laws......this shit is stupid. Who's to say the women won't lie to 'justify' their reason for abortion? How could you not know what race your baby will be? LOL. By the time the sex of the baby can be determined, it's already too late to get an abortion. Most women do not abort after the second trimester. And it's no one's damn business why a woman gets an abortion anyway. I'm glad I don't live in that backwards ass state.

co-signs
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:29 pm

I didnt know they asked for a "reason" when a woman goes in for abortion. confused
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:23 am

Nystyle709 wrote:Just like most of Arizona's laws......this shit is stupid. Who's to say the women won't lie to 'justify' their reason for abortion? How could you not know what race your baby will be? LOL. By the time the sex of the baby can be determined, it's already too late to get an abortion. Most women do not abort after the second trimester. And it's no one's damn business why a woman gets an abortion anyway. I'm glad I don't live in that backwards ass state.

I know, right. I can't get past that part.

This is just another attempt to try and ban abortions.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 am

I agree Ny.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:23 am

I like the law. Abortion is a new face of discrimination. And if it's one step closer to banning abortions, then I say thats good too. Gotta chip away at abortion until the barbaric procedure is no more.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I like the law. Abortion is a new face of discrimination. And if it's one step closer to banning abortions, then I say thats good too. Gotta chip away at abortion until the barbaric procedure is no more.

Well if we're ridding the world of barbarism, maybe religion can be next.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 am

This is a ridiculous law and a typical political trick. In the first place, one would have a hard time proving why a woman should want to terminate a pregnancy. For another, there may be a some problem getting a doctor to divulge what happened in a conversation between himself and his patient. As a matter of fact, he is not allowed to speak of his patients condition. This is all transparent strategy, and just a way the politician gets the votes from the pro-lifers who're thick enough to believe that he is doing their bidding. Knowing full well that nothing is going to change as a result of this silly "law".
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 am

JM130ELM wrote:This is a ridiculous law and a typical political trick. In the first place, one would have a hard time proving why a woman should want to terminate a pregnancy. For another, there may be a some problem getting a doctor to divulge what happened in a conversation between himself and his patient. As a matter of fact, he is not allowed to speak of his patients condition. This is all transparent strategy, and just a way the politician gets the votes from the pro-lifers who're thick enough to believe that he is doing their bidding. Knowing full well that nothing is going to change as a result of this silly "law".

Exactly. And the doctor/patient confidentiality is a good point. It's another stupid law that will fail from a state that appears to have lost its mind.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:41 am

I think, first of all, that very few (if any) women are seeking to become pregnant with a child of a particular gender and aborting those who aren't. I think very few, if any, are having unprotected sex with a man of whose race they would not raise a child.

I agree that this would be a particularly heinous and gruesome way of being sure you have exactly the gender and color child you want, but I disagree with the law. It would constitute an invasion of privacy for women to be asked to publicly state their reason for seeking an abortion. It would also be a completely impossible law to enforce, in that a person could simply lie, and their motivation for the abortion would be unknowable.

It was a waste of legislative time and money to pass this law. It's pure political posturing, and will do nothing to "protect the unborn". This Jan Brewer woman sounds like a fool.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:04 pm

CeCe wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:I like the law. Abortion is a new face of discrimination. And if it's one step closer to banning abortions, then I say thats good too. Gotta chip away at abortion until the barbaric procedure is no more.

Fallacious comparison if I ever heard one. big grin lol Could've been used to defend slavery I guess. lol

I think the law is good. The stricter the regulations on abortion, the better. (Hopefully it'll join slavery in history as abolished practices.) It's sad that we gotta settle for this but baby steps I guess.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    CeCe wrote:

Fallacious comparison if I ever heard one. big grin lol Could've been used to defend slavery I guess. lol

I think the law is good. The stricter the regulations on abortion, the better. (Hopefully it'll join slavery in history as abolished practices.) It's sad that we gotta settle for this but baby steps I guess.

blank stare @ you uhhhh..yeah..it's generally religious nuts behind these idiotic ideas. You know 'em. The ones who cry about abortion being murder but can't wait to flip the switch on the electric chair or hang someone in the "public square" for treason?

And I think the law is dangerous to the rights of women. A woman has sole rights to her own body. The government has no business intervening. This country will go back to the days of the backstreet abortion if that ever happens. I know you're too young to remember it. But it was in the news almost every day. Another woman butchered. Don't think for one second that the overturn of Roe vs Wade would bring an end to it. It would only create a new era.

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 am

CeCe wrote:Don't think for one second that the overturn of Roe vs Wade would bring an end to it. It would only create a new era.

True. Repealing Roe v. Wade would just sweep it under the rug....spiking the number of woman using coat hangers, throwing themselves down stairs and seeking abortions from doctors performing them underground. And even if it does decrease the number of terminated pregnancies, what happens to the child that a disgruntle woman is forced to give birth to? They get abandoned, neglected, abused....and/or wind up being paid for my tax dollars.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:46 pm