CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
jennab85
Alan Smithee
Jason B.
Nystyle709
Supernova
Chris
10 posters

Should immigrants embrace American life/culture?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should immigrants embrace American life/culture? Empty Should immigrants embrace American life/culture?

Post by Chris Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 am

This sort of ties in with alan's thread about language; do you feel that citizens who immigrate should embrace American culture (which would include the English language), or do you see nothing wrong with their choosing to follow to the ways of their original culture? Does it ever bother you to see someone from another country cling to the culture and customs of their homeland, while snubbing America's general way?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should immigrants embrace American life/culture? Empty Re: Should immigrants embrace American life/culture?

Post by Supernova Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 am

It's like I said before, if you're the one making the move, then you're the one who has to adapt. Different countries, different rules, now I can imagine it would be damn near impossible to just shrug off everything that you grew up in, but yeah I think you should at least part of the way adapt to the new culture, otherwise why did you bother moving if you intend to keep everything else the same?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Should immigrants embrace American life/culture? Empty Re: Should immigrants embrace American life/culture?

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am

Chris wrote:This sort of ties in with alan's thread about language; do you feel that citizens who immigrate should embrace American culture (which would include the English language), or do you see nothing wrong with their choosing to follow to the ways of their original culture? Does it ever bother you to see someone from another country cling to the culture and customs of their homeland, while snubbing America's general way?

In general, I don't see it as a problem if they choose to continue to follow the culture from their homeland. But if they have an elitist attitude about it and seem to speak negatively about everything having to do with America and it's culture, then that's when it rubs me the wrong way. I used to be a neighborhood to this Muslim family once. Now, don't get me wrong....I do not generalize all Muslims.....but every damn thing in the universe that we do here, they were always vocal about and had a problem with. Everything. The parents would tell her children not to socialize with the others on the block for fears that they would turn 'uncouth' and 'disrespecful' like most American children. The mother would always criticize black American women and thought most of us was loose and nasty. Black American men were trifling and irresponsible. The list went on and on. One day, I was talking to the mother and during the middle of her tirade, I flat out asked her...."well, if we're so bad in America, then why the hell are ya'll over here?". Her answer was priceless. "Because as soon as we get all the American dollars we need (meaning as soon as we milk you fools), we're going back to our country and live comfortably for the rest of our lives." I got it after that.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 am

Don't see the point of migrating to any country and immigrating IF they're gonna reject everything about its culture and uphold their native ways just to spite it. May as well had remained where you were.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:46 pm

It doesn't bother me one bit if immigrants want to continue to wear or eat the things they did back in "the old country." I don't even care if I walk into a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts and the clerks behind the counter are speaking to one another in Urdo...as long as they speak to me in English. If we have Columbus Day and St. Patrick's Day parades, I don't mind Cinco de Mayo celebrations. I do have a problem with Muslim cab drivers refusing to pick up people who are bringing a bottle of wine home or have a seeing eye dog.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 pm

I do think immigrants should embrace American life and culture, but I'm ok with them doing certain things from the countries they came from once in awhile.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 pm

They don't have to abandon their heritage but if they come here to live, they should try to embrace American culture.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 am

I think you should embrace the culture and lifestyle of the country you are living in. That doesn't mean you have to give up your own culture - my grandparents did a wonderful job of blending both of their cultures - but IMO it's rude to live like you were in your old country.

There have been a bunch or murders in the lower mainland in the last few years - wives disappearing and then turning up dead. Most times it turns out it was an honour killing by a member of the girl's family or by her husband. I have zero tolerance for something like that. Murder is illegal in Canada and if you can't abide by that, get out. There is nothing honourable in murdering a family member you believe has disgraced you or your family. That might be acceptable in your home country, but certainly not here. If you want to take part in honour killings, stay in your own country. If you can live by our laws, learn our language, participate in our culture, you're more than welcome.
    nan5623
    nan5623
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by nan5623 Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm

HHmmm, it depends on if they are "Legal" or "illegal".. What? IMHO big grin
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:In general, I don't see it as a problem if they choose to continue to follow the culture from their homeland. But if they have an elitist attitude about it and seem to speak negatively about everything having to do with America and it's culture, then that's when it rubs me the wrong way.

Same here. I used to work for a Turk whose wife was French, and the woman was forever talking crap about Americans and how things in France were yada-yada-yada. I couldn't really say much because I'd probably have gotten fired, but inside I was like, "take your ass back to France."

As for American culture....what culture is it, exactly, that immigrants should embrace? We aren't a very cultured people. The nation is young. Our customs largely come from those of older generations of immigrants.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:54 am