CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
rienpoet
Shale
TPP
Alan Smithee
2xy
Chris
10 posters

'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin' Empty 'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin'

Post by Chris Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:41 am

What's your opinion of the phrase 'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin'?
    Do you think that it's as genuine as it ever was, or has the phrase turned patronizing and/or disingenuous with time?
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin' Empty Re: 'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin'

Post by 2xy Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am

I don't believe in the concept of sin, so it's meaningless to me.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 am

Chris wrote:What's your opinion of the phrase 'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin.' Do you think that it's as genuine as it ever was, or has the phrase turned patronizing and/or disingenuous with time?

Way too disingenuous.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I think it depends on the intent of the person speaking, like everything. But yes, it's over used and a way to justify judgement of others now days too often.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:04 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:... it's over used and a way to justify judgement of others now days too often.
    My thots entirely. Ppl who want to pass judgement without coming off like some judgemental bigot use this expression.

So they are saying that they hate the fact that the guy raped a child but don't hate him personally? That's bullshit - some things are unforgivable and put the blame on the person doing it.

Or are they talking about those ambiguous 'sins' like me having sex with guys? They still love me because of my potential redemption to pull out of Raul's butt and fly str8? Still bullshit. How do you separate a person's being from their actions.

Self-deluding bullshit.
    rienpoet
    rienpoet
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by rienpoet Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Love the sinner, hate the sin....

The phrase, IMO, is very useful for those who uphold the law (law enforcement people). They have to be able to separate the persons who did it and the crime itself. They may not have 'feeling' against or for them, so that justice can be served.

And parents. Or children. Can we hate our own parents or children once they commit a crime? Should we continue loving them, no matter what they did? I would say no the first and yes to the latter. Loving a person (sinner) doesn't automatically support the mistake they did (the sin). We can also try to stop their sin they're about to commit as a proof of our love to the sinner.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:36 pm

rienpoet wrote:...And parents. Or children. Can we hate our own parents or children once they commit a crime? Should we continue loving them, no matter what they did? ...
    This is where I differ from 'normal' ppl. I will cut a relative loose in a heartbeat if they did some egregious crime. Had a nephew who once lived with me but cut him off after he put a gun to a woman's face and robbed her. He has since gotten his life together and I can forgive his youthful crimes (IDK if I could if he had actually shot and injured or killed someone tho) but at the time I was on him like any other punk. "How Dare You!"

rienpoet wrote:...The phrase, IMO, is very useful for those who uphold the law (law enforcement people). They have to be able to separate the persons who did it and the crime itself. ...

And cops do hate the perps who commit the crimes. They are just not allowed by law to react to it, tho sometimes they are caught on cam in such normal reactions.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I think it's a phony, unrealistic sentiment for the most part....the only people who can even halfway play that game are loved ones of the "sinner," and even that's fake. If you someone does something worthy of your hatred, then don't pretend that you're at all inclined to love them that much more.
    rienpoet
    rienpoet
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by rienpoet Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Shale wrote:
    rienpoet wrote:...And parents. Or children. Can we hate our own parents or children once they commit a crime? Should we continue loving them, no matter what they did? ...
    This is where I differ from 'normal' ppl. I will cut a relative loose in a heartbeat if they did some egregious crime. Had a nephew who once lived with me but cut him off after he put a gun to a woman's face and robbed her. He has since gotten his life together and I can forgive his youthful crimes (IDK if I could if he had actually shot and injured or killed someone tho) but at the time I was on him like any other punk. "How Dare You!"

rienpoet wrote:...The phrase, IMO, is very useful for those who uphold the law (law enforcement people). They have to be able to separate the persons who did it and the crime itself. ...

And cops do hate the perps who commit the crimes. They are just not allowed by law to react to it, tho sometimes they are caught on cam in such normal reactions.

I think that's exactly why the religious values or norms are universal. It doesn't apply only to 'loved' ones, but also should be applied to everybody else. What if it's you who commit the sin? Don't you want somebody else to 'love' you no matter what, or do you want to be judged with the sin that you have committed and seen as the sin and not as a human? We all make mistakes. There'll be time in life when we beg somebody else to forgive us. To be able to forgive somebody, for me, it means that we are able to separate between the sin and the sinner.

I am not saying that the law enforcers are not allowed to have sentiments against the criminals (they are, after all, human), but they may not be blinded by the hatred and can't see the evidence. They don't have to love them, but they have to be able to stay as neutral as possible and base their acts on the evidence that they have.

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Just two-faced rhetoric is all it is. They think by claiming that, they can damn people and not sin themselves for be judgmental.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Impact wrote:Just two-faced rhetoric is all it is. They think by claiming that, they can damn people and not sin themselves for be judgmental.

yep co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the ideas against it are what are not genuine. The idea makes perfect sense unless you are looking for an excuse to take personal offense to something.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:51 am