CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Marc™
Supernova
6 posters

Does this girl have any business being in a public school?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Does this girl have any business being in a public school? Empty Does this girl have any business being in a public school?

Post by Supernova Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:13 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42212235/ns/health-allergies_and_asthma/

All the kids need to make sure they wash their hands and rinse their mouths out, they need to bring in specially trained dogs to make sure there's not a peanut on the premise, and it's not just that, the part nobody's looking at is the entire school would have to be wiped down and disenfected on almost a daily basis to make sure this girl doesn't accidentally die. Is this fair to every other student in the school who will not keel over in the presence of a PB&J sandwich?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Does this girl have any business being in a public school? Empty Re: Does this girl have any business being in a public school?

Post by Marc™ Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:49 pm

The other parents are being selfish and flippant about the whole thing....but I agree that she shouldn't be in public school. All those provisions the other kids have to take, especially at THAT grade level, are unrealistic.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Does this girl have any business being in a public school? Empty Re: Does this girl have any business being in a public school?

Post by Supernova Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Exactly, like somebody else pointed out, these are SIX YEAR OLD KIDS, they don't understand the severity of this matter, what if one of them forgets, on the bus home eats a Snickers bar, and the girl's next to him and accidentally dies? Is that fair to put on a 6 year old's head?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I think even the ADA has a "reasonable accommodation" provision in it.

And, no matter what inconvenient special precautions are put in place, eventually some kid is going to successfully sneak in a peanut laden snack. It is just to dangerous to insist that the girl go out into a dangerous public.

Some disabilities are just up to the person that has them. Like the "boy in the bubble." She should also explore possible masks to screen out allergins in the environment. There is a big world out there beyond the classroom.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Shale wrote:I think even the ADA has a "reasonable accommodation" provision in it.

And, no matter what inconvenient special precautions are put in place, eventually some kid is going to successfully sneak in a peanut laden snack. It is just to dangerous to insist that the girl go out into a dangerous public.

Some disabilities are just up to the person that has them. Like the "boy in the bubble." She should also explore possible masks to screen out allergins in the environment. There is a big world out there beyond the classroom.

It does & also undue hardship.

Reasonable Accommodation

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (the "ADA")(1) requires an employer(2) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. "In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that enables an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities."(3)There are three categories of "reasonable accommodations":

"(i) modifications or adjustments to a job application process that enable a qualified applicant with a disability to be considered for the position such qualified applicant desires; or

(ii) modifications or adjustments to the work environment, or to the manner or circumstances under which the position held or desired is customarily performed, that enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of that position; or

(iii) modifications or adjustments that enable a covered entity's employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by its other similarly situated employees without disabilities."(4)

The duty to provide reasonable accommodation is a fundamental statutory requirement because of the nature of discrimination faced by individuals with disabilities. Although many individuals with disabilities can apply for and perform jobs without any reasonable accommodations, there are workplace barriers that keep others from performing jobs which they could do with some form of accommodation. These barriers may be physical obstacles (such as inaccessible facilities or equipment), or they may be procedures or rules (such as rules concerning when work is performed, when breaks are taken, or how essential or marginal functions are performed). Reasonable accommodation removes workplace barriers for individuals with disabilities.

Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.(5) Reasonable accommodations must be provided to qualified employees regardless of whether they work part- time or full-time, or are considered "probationary." Generally, the individual with a disability must inform the employer that an accommodation is needed.(6)

There are a number of possible reasonable accommodations that an employer may have to provide in connection with modifications to the work environment or adjustments in how and when a job is performed. These include:

making existing facilities accessible;
    job restructuring;
    part-time or modified work schedules;
    acquiring or modifying equipment;
    changing tests, training materials, or policies;
    providing qualified readers or interpreters; and
    reassignment to a vacant position.(7)

Undue Hardship

The only statutory limitation on an employer's obligation to provide "reasonable accommodation" is that no such change or modification is required if it would cause "undue hardship" to the employer.(16) "Undue hardship" means significant difficulty or expense and focuses on the resources and circumstances of the particular employer in relationship to the cost or difficulty of providing a specific accommodation. Undue hardship refers not only to financial difficulty, but to reasonable accommodations that are unduly extensive, substantial, or disruptive, or those that would fundamentally alter the nature or operation of the business.(17) An employer must assess on a case-by-case basis whether a particular reasonable accommodation would cause undue hardship. The ADA's "undue hardship" standard is different from that applied by courts under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for religious accommodation.(18)

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html

While I feel for anyone in this situation, there has to be a limit somewhere.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 pm

I think it's ridiculous to make the entire school bow to your needs. If you're that severe, you should stay home.
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by sailorlover Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 am

I'm kind of ify on this subject. On one hand, I think that there should legally be no reason that a child can not go to school. So what if the school has to make provisions for just one student. That is why it's called "Public" school. Every school should make every effort to allow the children to go to school. Whould this be the same problem is this child had HIV? Provisions would need to be in place for that illness also. That is all this allergy is, an illness. However, on the other hand, as a parent I would want to eliminate any enviroment that I can be assured that my child would not come in contract with any peanut product. Some of these allergies are as bad as reacting to as simple as peanut dust. I know, if I was me, even though the school would make provisions to make sure my child didn't come in contact of peanuts is still not enough for me.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:41 am

sailorlover wrote:I'm kind of ify on this subject. On one hand, I think that there should legally be no reason that a child can not go to school. So what if the school has to make provisions for just one student. That is why it's called "Public" school. Every school should make every effort to allow the children to go to school. Whould this be the same problem is this child had HIV? Provisions would need to be in place for that illness also. That is all this allergy is, an illness. However, on the other hand, as a parent I would want to eliminate any enviroment that I can be assured that my child would not come in contract with any peanut product. Some of these allergies are as bad as reacting to as simple as peanut dust. I know, if I was me, even though the school would make provisions to make sure my child didn't come in contact of peanuts is still not enough for me.

Oh for the love of god HIV is not passed through the air. And anyone this sensitive who requires such extreme measures needs to stay out of the public & securely inclosed in a bubble.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 am

sailorlover wrote:I'm kind of ify on this subject. On one hand, I think that there should legally be no reason that a child can not go to school. So what if the school has to make provisions for just one student. That is why it's called "Public" school. Every school should make every effort to allow the children to go to school. Whould this be the same problem is this child had HIV? Provisions would need to be in place for that illness also. That is all this allergy is, an illness. However, on the other hand, as a parent I would want to eliminate any enviroment that I can be assured that my child would not come in contract with any peanut product. Some of these allergies are as bad as reacting to as simple as peanut dust. I know, if I was me, even though the school would make provisions to make sure my child didn't come in contact of peanuts is still not enough for me.

But it's clearly requiring MORE provisions to protect this girl than it would if she had HIV. An allergy THIS bad needs to be monitored at home. You can't put the entire school at an inconvenience just to go there. And what if a kid accidentally ate something with nuts at home and it was still on his breath and the girl died as a result? You're putting that burden on the kid forever. Kids with severe allergies like that need to be cared for at home.
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by sailorlover Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 am

CeCe wrote:

Oh for the love of god HIV is not passed through the air. And anyone this sensitive who requires such extreme measures needs to stay out of the public & securely inclosed in a bubble.

I am well aware that HIV is not passed through the air! I was just using it as example as to where the school needs to take extra percautions. For example, one of my daughter's friend got a bloody nose at school. Jennifr was right there helping her with the bloody nose. And yes, I know HIV can be spread by blood, duh! Any how a teacher had to jump quickly to remove my daughter from the blood. She was not aware of transmission of the virus at all. An example of extra precautions a school needs to make! I mean, really, do you actually think I thought HIV was transmitted through the air??
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 am

sailorlover wrote:
    CeCe wrote:

I am well aware that HIV is not passed through the air! I was just using it as example as to where the school needs to take extra percautions. For example, one of my daughter's friend got a bloody nose at school. Jennifr was right there helping her with the bloody nose. And yes, I know HIV can be spread by blood, duh! Any how a teacher had to jump quickly to remove my daughter from the blood. She was not aware of transmission of the virus at all. An example of extra precautions a school needs to make! I mean, really, do you actually think I thought HIV was transmitted through the air??

Actually wasn't sure there for a minute. It's the internet & you find out quick that people believe some wigged out shit. And of course precautions are necessary but in the peanut allergy case it's going above & beyond reasonable precautions. If she's that sensitive she needs to be in a more secure setting. Apparently she can't go to the store or the county fair. If she really is that allergic I do feel for her & her family but there needs to be some boundaries & limitations on what's expected from everyone. I think this goes beyond what's fair & reasonable.
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by sailorlover Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:12 am

CeCe wrote:

Your response really ticked me off! I realize this is an opinion board, but it is not a board for knocking people. For your information, while I was getting my nursing degree I studied HIV for a semester. How it's transmitted, the progression from HIV to AIDS and the medication individuals can take to slow the progression from HIV to AIDS. Transmittion is from sexual bodily fluids, through mother to baby is pregnancy, from mother's breast milk to baby, blood products whether from a blood transfusion or just contract, from needles whether an accidental needle stick (which happened to me twice) or IV drug use. I am well aware of HIV and its characteristics. Next time simply ask if someone knows how HIV is transmitted instead of insulting them.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 am

sailorlover wrote:

Your response really ticked me off!

Well hopefully you'll get over it. I always do.
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by sailorlover Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm

CeCe wrote:
    sailorlover wrote:

Your response really ticked me off!

Well hopefully you'll get over it. I always do.

Ya no big deal!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:10 am