CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Chris
6 posters

Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse? Empty Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse?

Post by Chris Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Do you think the subject of molestation-awareness is one that schools should broach with kindergarteners or first graders? Or should this, like sexual education, be left to parents (if you believe that parents, not schools, should teach sex ed?)

Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse? 2mx1r7oShould public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse? 2potgtw
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse? Empty Re: Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse?

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:13 am

I thought kids were taught about the dangers of strangers and their bad touches. If they aren't, they should be.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse? Empty Re: Should public schools teach kindergarten kids about sexual molestation/abuse?

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:17 am

I think parents should be doing that. (That cartoon cracks me up though. FORGIVENESS MAN) I guess schools can, but IDK, I'd feel better if parents did it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:42 am

I see no reason why not.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 am

Chris wrote:Do you think the subject of molestation-awareness is one that schools should broach with kindergarteners or first graders? Or should this, like sexual education, be left to parents (if you believe that parents, not schools, should teach sex ed?)
    You mean where daddy touches all the parts to show they are not to be touched? blank stare @ you

Considering that child sexual abuse is most often done by a family member or friend of the family, it would be like foxes guarding the chicken coop.

Best that the schools do this education.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:47 am

I think it's an important part of school. Sadly, it happens all too often. I'll never forget the day that the grade 2 class I was in was doing doing a unit on sexual abuse and right and wrong touching. I felt a feather-light tap on my knee and one of the little girls leaned over and whispered very softly "that happened to me, you know". Thankfully, the teacher had told me about her history in advance, but it still broke my heart. This precious child was in foster care as a result of the sexual abuse and of physical abuse that left her with permanent brain damage.

It's important to give children the proper language, too. I remember one example that was shared with us in one of my sociology classes. One of the kindergarten students told his teacher that grandpa kept playing with his toy. This went on for several weeks, because the teachers realized that there might be something more to it and investigated further and realized the boy was being sexually molested by his grandpa. He'd been trying to reach out for several weeks but didn't have the right vocabulary so the abuse continued.

Kindergarten is not too young to begin talking about right and wrong touching. Many resources out there are able to put it in a very gentle and unfrightening way.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:29 pm