CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Jason B.
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
Supernova
femme fatale
Chris
10 posters

Prayer in public schools.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Prayer in public schools. Empty Prayer in public schools.

Post by Chris Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 am

If a child, say Jewish, comes from an extremely religious family and attends public school, do you think he or she ought to be able to outwardly observe his or her religious faith in this environment?
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Prayer in public schools. Empty Re: Prayer in public schools.

Post by femme fatale Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 am

Public schools should be 100% religion free. If a child is ultra religious and wanna practice their faith, then do it at home, in church or some kind of center that's based in that religion. Or their parents should send them to a private school that has a philosophy based in that faith. Religions can clash too much and where one kid might be jewish, another might be Muslim. Heavily spiritual Muslim kid sees the Jewish kid doing something religious and then there's a fight.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 am

I thought the idea of public schools however was that they teach the kids to be so open minded towards other people. confused

If schools need to be religion free, maybe they need to be free of all customs and culture and the kids can't express anything from their background that makes them different from anybody else, because of a fight can start over one thing, it can just as easily for another. You know they always say that teachers need to leave their personal lives at the door, maybe they need to force students to do the same since being different is so dangeorus.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:38 am

Do they still have the moment of silence in public schools? Because if so, that's when you can pray or not pray or whatever you do to whoever or whatever you believe in. How do you mean outwardly observe his faith? See, when I was in grade school....there were Jewish kids who wore the yarmulkes to school and it wasn't a problem. There were Muslim kids who covered their heads and it wasn't a problem. There were kids with African parents who wore their kinte cloth and it wasn't a problem. Everybody got along and everybody played together. We learned about Hanukkah and Christmas and Ramadan. In NYC, all public schools observe the Jewish and Muslim holidays, and well as the Christian ones. I think adults place too much emphasis on religion and try to make it a big deal for their children. Contrary to what some think, I think it's quite possible to have different religions congregating together and there not be an issue. They're kids.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Schools don't have to sanction it but if a kid wants to say a silent prayer before a test or lunch and he blesses himself, what the hell is the problem with that? If he wants to wear a small cross around his neck, what is the problem? Schools are about diversity aren't they?
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I don't have a problem with personal religious expression, like a cross or a silent prayer, but it shouldn't infringe on school time. Schools should definitely not set aside time and space for heavily religious kids to practice whatever religious rituals they do.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 am

I had a friend who said that as long as there are exams in school, there will be prayer in school - lol!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 am

TSJ, that was the most perfect thing to say!

Overall, I think that public education and religious practices should be kept separate. That is the world we live in. When in the typical area, more kids identify with Christianity, why should other kids feel slighted?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 pm

JB wrote:I don't have a problem with personal religious expression, like a cross or a silent prayer, but it shouldn't infringe on school time. Schools should definitely not set aside time and space for heavily religious kids to practice whatever religious rituals they do.
    But too many people DO have a problem with silent prayer or small religious articles that in no way infringe on class time.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:04 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I had a friend who said that as long as there are exams in school, there will be prayer in school - lol!

Damn! You beat me too it clapping
    LVJoel
    LVJoel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by LVJoel Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Prayer in school -
    Good: "Please G-d, I totally forgot about my history test today, please let me remember the answers!"

Bad: "Now children, it's time to pray, and if any one of you elects to opt out, you are godless and will go to hell. And all of the other godly children will make fun of you and you will be an outcast."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:34 am