CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Chris
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
CeCe
Marc™
9 posters

Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned  Empty Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned

Post by Marc™ Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned
    Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned  R-FACEBOOK-large570
    Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned  Shannon%20johnson%20mug%20shot%20cropped

GREELEY, Colo. -- A northern Colorado woman who was playing a game on Facebook while her 13-month-old baby drowned in a bathtub was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison.

Shannon Johnson, 34, of Fort Lupton was also sentenced to five years of mandatory parole following her prison term.

The Greeley Tribune reported that Johnson cried as District Judge Thomas Quammen told her he didn't think she was a bad person or that she killed her son on purpose. That doesn't mean what she did wasn't criminal, he added.

Johnson was charged with child abuse that knowingly or recklessly caused death. She pleaded guilty to negligent child abuse in March.

The charges made her eligible for community corrections or probation, but authorities rejected both, saying they didn't want to play down the seriousness of her crime.

Johnson said she found her son, Joseph, sideways and face-down in a bathtub last September. She told investigators she had been playing the game Cafe World and sharing videos on Facebook in another room while her son was alone in a bathtub full of water.

Johnson called 911 to say Joseph wasn't breathing. Paramedics were able to revive the toddler but he was pronounced dead at a Denver hospital.

Johnson said her son was independent and wanted to be alone in the tub.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/15/johnson-sentenced-to-10-y_n_849944.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl12|sec1_lnk2|56815
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned  Empty Re: Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned

Post by CeCe Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm

There isn't a reason to leave a child alone in or near water. Ever.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned  Empty Re: Johnson Sentenced To 10 Years For Playing On Facebook While Son Drowned

Post by Tony Marino Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 pm

13 months and he was independent? She deserves what she got.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:54 pm

What a terrible thing to do. I don't know how any parent could make careless decisions like that.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Tony Marino wrote:13 months and he was independent? She deserves what she got.

co-signs
    I wouldn't let a child take a bath by themselves until they were at least four years old. Her claiming that a thirteen month old baby was 'independent' enough to handle the experience is a weak and wasted attempt to cover herself, and it didn't work.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Oh for fu......so now 13 month olds have more 'say' than their parents do? 'He wanted to be alone' so she left him alone? I don't believe she just 'made a mistake' because any idiot knows you don't leave a baby alone in the tub.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:10 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You need a license to drive and fish but anyone can have a kid.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 am

I really can't feel sorry for this woman. How can she be stupid enough to leave a baby in the tub alone. Heck - when we bathed my niece during spring break, one of us got ito the tub with her because the tub had those sliding doors and was the bathroom was pretty cramped. You couldn't easily sit on the edge and the bathroom was too tiny to really move. Id was easiest for one of us to just throw on a bathing suit and hop in the tub with her, and she'd have been the same age as this baby.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:36 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I really can't feel sorry for this woman. How can she be stupid enough to leave a baby in the tub alone. Heck - when we bathed my niece during spring break, one of us got ito the tub with her because the tub had those sliding doors and was the bathroom was pretty cramped. You couldn't easily sit on the edge and the bathroom was too tiny to really move. Id was easiest for one of us to just throw on a bathing suit and hop in the tub with her, and she'd have been the same age as this baby.

I used to know a woman who did something similar except she left the baby alone with a toddler while she talked on the phone. It's a miracle they both didn't drown.I never understood what the hell she was thinking. It's common knowledge that a child can drown even in very shallow water. I used to take mine dripping & wrapped in a towel to answer the phone in the next room, and I was young & fairly stupid at the time. No child is "independent" anywhere near that age.

Fuckin' facebook. Really?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Dummy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:16 am