CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TSJFan4Ever
Nystyle709
Supernova
Nhaiyel
Friendly Veteran
RedBedroom
Marc™
11 posters

Family Over Individualism

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Family Over Individualism Empty Family Over Individualism

Post by Marc™ Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 am

I know Asian cultures tend to put family pride and honor ahead of individualism....and every move someone makes is expected to be with family solidarity and accommodation/convenience in mind. So in other words, if it's not convenient for the family that someone take a certain job, or date a certain someone, or move somewhere, then don't do it.

Do you agree with this? Should what's best for the family be more important than what's best for the person?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Family Over Individualism Empty Re: Family Over Individualism

Post by RedBedroom Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

I don't think that people should factor in family when making every single life choice. Some people enjoy doing what is best for or desired by their family. But I suspect that a lot of people who go along with stuff do so out of guilt or a sense of obligation.

Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

Post by Friendly Veteran Wed May 11, 2011 12:40 pm

I think both ways have their drawbacks and advantages. I lived in Korea a total of three years so I am familiar with their way of thinking. On some instances I would not like the family demands but on others I can see how that helps and individual.

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed May 11, 2011 12:54 pm

The only obligation an adult has is to the family they create for themselves. If a man has a wife and young children, then yes consideration for them should be paramount when it comes to his decision making. However, an adult isn't obligated to base his own life choices on the desires of his parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., etc. We're all put on this planet to be unique and to carve out our own individual niche, not to be forever shacked to or stifled by our birth families.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed May 11, 2011 7:27 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Asian cultures are also known for their suicide rates when students don't work hard enough and thus shame the whole families. It's nice to keep family in mind, but ultimately you have to go with what you want to be and do.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Marc™ wrote:I know Asian cultures tend to put family pride and honor ahead of individualism....and every move someone makes is expected to be with family solidarity and accommodation/convenience in mind. So in other words, if it's not convenient for the family that someone take a certain job, or date a certain someone, or move somewhere, then don't do it.

Do you agree with this? Should what's best for the family be more important than what's best for the person?

Not at all. And I know from personal experience. This similar line of thinking is the reason why my parents aren't together anymore
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed May 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I think it's a balancing act and that it depends on the age of the children. I know that in South Asian cultures, the good of the family can take things way to far - murdering a teenage daughter who was raped because she brought dishonour on the family? Murdering a baby girl because having a boy is so important to the family?

I think there's a time and a place for the family and a time and a place for the individual. It depends on the situation and how people feel.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed May 11, 2011 11:19 pm

My family on both sides has that attitude and for the most part I don't fall in line. I believe in family solidarity and sticking up for your own and all that, but I can't center my whole life around keeping other adults satisfied.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 am

I went the way of the individual and made choices that were definitely not agreeable to my family. I am not too firmly connected to my neices and nephew or their children because I am such an iconoclast to their values. So, black sheep of the family here.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu May 12, 2011 1:29 am

I almost can't relate to the question, because this isn't how my family operates. We accept that once a child is over eighteen, their life decisions are their own. Aside from my daughter and my child on the way, I personally can't imagine basing my living decisions on how comfortable my family would be with it.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Thu May 12, 2011 11:50 am

No, I don't agree with putting family pride before individualism. Family is important, yes, but your family is just a group of people. They're capable of being idiots just like anyone else. Ultimately, it has to be up to the individual to decide what they want to do, who they want to date, etc. It would be great if families could always agree and approve of one another, but you have to live for yourself first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:50 pm