CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Suzi
Nhaiyel
TSJFan4Ever
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Chris
10 posters

What is the oldest item in your house?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

What is the oldest item in your house? Empty What is the oldest item in your house?

Post by Chris Tue May 17, 2011 7:42 am

What's the oldest item (appliance, electronic device) you have in your house that you still use on a regular basis? How old is it?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

What is the oldest item in your house? Empty Re: What is the oldest item in your house?

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 17, 2011 8:18 pm

*Looking around* My laptop is one. It's 3 years old. I had a t.v. that my mom bought me when I was 13 that was still in good working condition, but I gave it away when I got my HDTV.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

What is the oldest item in your house? Empty Re: What is the oldest item in your house?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 17, 2011 8:53 pm

There's a curio cabinet and a butcher block table that we've had since we were newlweds. A rickety old bookcase that my wife had since I don't know when. 40+ years maybe.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed May 18, 2011 4:37 am

Probably a Bible that I found at a book sale. It was apparently issued to a soldier during World War I. The Grandma writes that it went to The Great War and back again" with her son. She was giving it to her grandson in April 1928. I had to ask my friend, who's a veteran, what the letters and numbers at the front mean and he said it would have been the enlistment code. Apparently they had a 200 year old Bible at the book sale this year. I was tempted to see if I'd stand a chance of getting it but didn't feel like battles a crowd of thousands, the sale attracts about 10 000 people each year.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:31 pm

In my bedroom, I have the same television set my parents bought me for Christmas in 1995. Still works as good as new.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:23 am

I have an electric heating pad that was my fathers, he died about 46 years ago. I don't know how long he had it. It has been used for all sorts of things, including to help keep a premature duckling alive. I refuse to part with it because I want to know when it dies.

I have many things older than that, but I thought it was electrical old stuff the OP was after. I have my grandfathers pocket knife, gramma's glasses, 2 plaques that hung on her bedroom wall for as long as I can remember and now hang on my bedroom wall. Most of the old stuff like that I gve to my cousin who is keeping the family history. I also have several items that belonged to my husbands grand mother who died before he was even a gleam in his fathers eye.

Last edited by Suzi on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 am

The oldest item is my grandfather's birth certificate-- from 1906.

Functioning item is probably my bedroom set--- my mom bought it used for me in 1995, and it was probably old then cause it is that solid wood good construction, not the press board crap they sell today.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm

wants2laugh wrote:Functioning item is probably my bedroom set--- my mom bought it used for me in 1995, and it was probably old then cause it is that solid wood good construction, not the press board crap they sell today.

Damn good thing too! Wink
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Probably my TV, I bought back in 2005.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:28 pm

I may be the oldest thing in my apartment, but of the mechanical items that still work are a Brownie Hawkeye camera from the 1950s and a stapler that was made in the late '50 but which I 'acquired' from the Air Force in 1966.

What is the oldest item in your house? 1955_b10

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Probably my dryer its supposed to be around 25 years old. It does not look that old and it still works like a charm. I replaced the washer about 5 years ago.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:06 am