CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Marc™
Nystyle709
stavdash
Nhaiyel
ThePayback
9 posters

Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream

ThePayback
    ThePayback
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream Empty Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream

Post by ThePayback Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 am

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream Empty Re: Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:53 am

Contrary to many other Aaliyah fans, I really don't hate it. I don't love it, I wouldn't buy at iTunes or put it on my iPod...but I'm not offended that he had the audacity to touch it either. I guess I'm indifferent. Don't take his version seriously enough to gasp over his having the nerve.

Just to offer a critique though: I'm sort of iffy on how I feel about his using the same track, and virtually the same vocal arrangement.
    On the one hand it could be a good thing that he kept it close to the original, because it keeps the song "true"...on the other hand, it seems a bit karaoke-ish too.

*shrugs*

Just don't try to release this as a single.
    ThePayback
    ThePayback
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream Empty Re: Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream

Post by ThePayback Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 am

It's totally karaoke IMO I have to wonder if he recorded this for the ATTENTION he knew he'd get for singing her song. I think it's awful.
    stavdash
    stavdash
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by stavdash Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:27 am

"Karaoke" is pretty much the only way to describe it. His version is boring. Except for those hideous chant-like adlibs near the end, he added next to nothing to it. All his cover does is put me in the mood to hear the original.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 am

It's aight I guess. I actually do like The-Dream and OIAM musically is similar to what he does anyway. He sounded a little gayer than usual on this record, but if he wasn't going to add anything (which he basically didn't) or change the arrangement somewhat then he should've left it alone.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:06 am

Those vocals are painful to listen to. He's slurring, whimpering and whining like a three year old.

No thanks.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:13 am

Marc wrote:He's slurring, whimpering and whining like a three year old.

+1. He sounds like a male version of Pam from Total with all those whiny coo's and junk. I also don't like the idea of him (or anyone really) covering THAT. OIAM is like Aaliyah's seminal song, not ready interested in hearing anybody else sing it. He would have been better off remaking "Back and Forth" or "More than a Woman".
    poppy
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 1

Post by poppy Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Great, The-Dream wrecked Mariah Carey's last CD and now he murdered an old Aaliyah song. Way to go, Dream. Neutral
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 pm

poppy wrote:Great, The-Dream wrecked Mariah Carey's last CD and now he murdered an old Aaliyah song. Way to go, Dream. Neutral

That last Mariah album was boring, I agree. It was like a Charmbracelet sequel.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream Empty Aaliyah's OIAM covered by The Dream

Post by Kral Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 am

poppy wrote:Great, The-Dream wrecked Mariah Carey's last CD and now he murdered an old Aaliyah song. Way to go, Dream. Neutral

I heard she's working on a new CD. I would really love it if she put out a "big" pop ballad album like back when she started out. I miss her songs like "Love Takes Time" and "Without You".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 am