CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Marc™
Bent1670
MadgeLover
7 posters

The American Life Discussion Thread

MadgeLover
    MadgeLover
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

The American Life Discussion Thread Empty American Life

Post by MadgeLover Mon May 31, 2010 7:39 pm

The American Life Discussion Thread 414KQ17EB5L._SL500_AA300_

Always good for a discussion. Let's hear it.
    What are your opinions of the AL albium. I still have to say that after 7 years, it's at the bottom of the pile for me despite the growing love Madonna fans have for it. The whole thing just sounds "unfinished" to me. I REALLY wish Pat Leonard had been involved with that particular album.
    Bent1670
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

The American Life Discussion Thread Empty Re: The American Life Discussion Thread

Post by Bent1670 Mon May 31, 2010 9:47 pm

MadgeLover wrote:The American Life Discussion Thread 414KQ17EB5L._SL500_AA300_

What are your opinions of the AL albium. I still have to say that after 7 years, it's at the bottom of the pile for me despite the growing love Madonna fans have for it. The whole thing just sounds "unfinished" to me. I REALLY wish Pat Leonard had been involved with that particular album.

I adore American Life. Have since my first listen. It's her most 'honest' and real album to date. I think the reason so many people are put off by it is because there were no "single" fodder here but if you can appreciate abstract sincerity then this album will easily become a fav.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

The American Life Discussion Thread Empty Re: The American Life Discussion Thread

Post by Marc™ Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:24 am

The problem with American Life, I think, is that she went in with the intention of making another introspective and eclectic Like a Prayer/Ray of Light-type album, but during production probably discovered that she wasn't particularly inspired. From there, she attempted to "wing it," and it shows. The album sounds like a collection of unfinished, scratch demos that were begging for an overhaul. I agree that if ever there was a time when she needed Leonard to come in and untangle some knots, this album was it.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

I think "American Life" has some good tracks on it, but overall, it's my least favorite album of hers because she was trying to mix rock with techno and the results were not good! At least, not in my opinion. And she attempted to rap on a couple of the tracks, and I've never been a fan of rap. It's really the bottom of the barrel for me, my least favorite album of Madge's.
    baybruh
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by baybruh Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I loved AL from 1st listen. I think it was a very raw and honest album. I think it was the 1st album where u knew exactly how she was feeling about herself and the things around her.
    Bent1670
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Post by Bent1670 Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:37 pm

baybruh wrote:I loved AL from 1st listen. I think it was a very raw and honest album. I think it was the 1st album where u knew exactly how she was feeling about herself and the things around her.

I totally agree baybruh. It's raw (which adds to the appeal) and easily her most honest album to date. I think it TOPS both Like a Prayer and Ray of Light as far as being confessional goes.
    jeffb1986
    jeffb1986
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by jeffb1986 Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:38 am

I fucking LOVE this album, and I'll never be convinced otherwise. I really like what Madonna had to say on this album, especially her thoughts on materialism and the "American Dream." I also think the album was about finding peace, happiness, and love within yourself, and loving those around you as well. I could be wrong, but those things really stood out to me as being themes on the album. I too loved how raw the album felt. These are some of the most intensely personal lyrics Madonna has ever written, and the raw feel only serves to enhance the album overall. As far as the rapping on "American Life" goes, I view it as a parody of what was considered to be "hip" at that point in time. I honestly don't think it was ever meant to be taken seriously. I also love how the songs here are not radio-friendly. I'm not even sure I'm making sense, but I love this album so damn much. I have ever since the first time I heard it. "American Life" sits at a nice cushy #2 spot on my list of favorite Madonna albums. Smile
    MadgeLover
    MadgeLover
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by MadgeLover Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 am

Bent1670 wrote:
    baybruh wrote:I loved AL from 1st listen. I think it was a very raw and honest album. I think it was the 1st album where u knew exactly how she was feeling about herself and the things around her.

I totally agree baybruh. It's raw (which adds to the appeal) and easily her most honest album to date. I think it TOPS both Like a Prayer and Ray of Light as far as being confessional goes.

For me I just think it could have been better if PL had been there. The melodies on the album needed help and the discomboluted production of just made it worse. IMO the AL album is akin to someone wearing green parts and a red shirt. It just doesn't swallow easy. It's weird because I like what Mirwais did on MUSIC and CONFESSIONS, but on AL not so much.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 am

MadgeLover wrote:For me I just think it could have been better if PL had been there. The melodies on the album needed help and the discomboluted production of just made it worse. IMO the AL album is akin to someone wearing green parts and a red shirt. It just doesn't swallow easy. It's weird because I like what Mirwais did on MUSIC and CONFESSIONS, but on AL not so much.

I think AL is akin to the sound of mom singing as she makes breakfast, while in the meantime there's noisy construction happening outside. By and large, that album just didn't mesh right. I mean, hey, if you like ABSTRACT, then AL is the album for you. But if you want something that comfortable fits, then it isn't.
    November Avenue
    November Avenue
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by November Avenue Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:51 am

I "get" what she was trying to do with it, but I don't know if it totally worked. There are a few hidden gems on AL but the debris on it greatly outweighs them IMO. AL would have been great if it had been a regular pop album but I don't think "folktronica" was the way to go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 4:40 am